Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've finially made the move to a B-17 on my commuter rig (surly pacer). I've been having some swelling down there that the Doctor can't figure out (another appt. tomorrw), and i've decided that i need to stay on my bike, so i'm giving a b-17 a shot... ended up getting it for $55 from nashbar, so definatley worth it...

anyone have any advice about Brooks saddles... i know they take a bit of time to break in... do i need proof ride? any advice would be great... dont really commute in the rain (except the stray thunderstorms) and the bike is parked in my office, so no weather worries...

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
I used proof hide on all of mine because I was told to...I can't honestly say if it helps or not...That being said, I have a very short break in time with Brooks...B-17s are comfortable for me right out of the box.....They only get better.....

Brooks B17 is the only saddle I can ride without padded shorts and still be comfortable....

· Registered
5,525 Posts
Break-in is played up as more of an issue than I've ever experienced. Tilt angle matters quite a bit...I think it works best with the nose just a touch above level. The wrong tilt angle can make a nice Brooks saddle feel very uncomfortable.

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Use the proofhide, especially if you have a chance of getting it wet. But try to keep it dry. The Proofhide does make breakin easier and quicker. Tilt is very important as Mark said, it seems counterintuitive but tilt the nose slightly up to start. Most comfortable saddle I've tried.

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Break in on a B17 is about 10 minutes.
Breakin takes a little longer than that but mine was comfortable immediately once I got the positioning right. If it never 'broke in' it would still be more comfortable than other saddles I've tried.

· had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
VaughnA said:
Use the proofhide, especially if you have a chance of getting it wet. But try to keep it dry. The Proofhide does make breakin easier and quicker. Tilt is very important as Mark said, it seems counterintuitive but tilt the nose slightly up to start. Most comfortable saddle I've tried.
+1 proofhide also protects the cow skin from buttsweat but the leather will get darker once its 'seasoned'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.