Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm thinking about trying a Brooks saddle. The tops of my bars are currently 3" below the saddle, but I'll probably be adding a stem with a little more rise (maybe 12*-15*)and perhaps some of those FSA compact drop bars with shorter reach and drop. That aside, my sit bones are 80mm apart. Which Brooks would you sugguest trying first? I plan on ordering from Wallbike as they have an excellent 6 month return policy just in case. Thanks for any info and any pics of the B17 narrow on a bike would be awesome.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have 4 Brooks B-17s and I can give you my input based on your sit bone measurement. I have 2 very well formed dents in each saddle and measured from center to center I sit at 90mm which puts me smack on for where the saddle was designed, as I see it.

If you were on a standard B-17 with a center to center measurement of 80mm, I would estimate that you would be a bit to close to the center on the saddle. The total width, based on where I sit is 160mm so with my bones I have most of my space between the bones on the saddle. With you, there would be more space on the outside edges on the sitbones.

As the saddle comes, the top is almost flat until you wear it in. Then the dents from the bones form the depressions and the center rise starts to develop. You would probably do fine with the standard model if you are fairly far forward in your seating position; if you are more upright, you could find that the rear portion is too wide, but you would have plenty of room to move forward a little if need be.

At $60-67 delivered for the standard B-17 you would have to judge how much the narrow is worth to you, but I would guess you would know in a few rides if the width was too much. I would start with the standard and then see. You should not need long at all to see if it is right. I just added a new B-17 to a Ridley I just bought and it is no where near broken in, but it still tells me it feels right.

G

·
If you order from Wallbike.com the price may be a bit higher ( I have not checked) but they have a "try it out" return policy as well, so if you buy one and decide yu want to try the other, before settling, you can do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.