Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also posted this in the "save some weight" area but think it may be of more interest here. I'm not really interested in saving weight especially since I ride Brooks, but I just received another B17 standard in the mail this morning and decided to weigh it on a lab scale at work. 539.1 grams to be precise. Not much of a penalty considering the comfort.

Sam in Cincy

· Registered
5,844 Posts
Although I am a big fan of Brooks saddles, I have been converted to Fizik saddles over the past couple of years. My Brooks seemed to be eating up my shorts. Got a Fizik Aliante for a great price on sale and it fit just as well at less than half the weight. Recently bought a Fizik Vitesse, which is a little wider, and it's even better. It is actually more comfortable than my B17, even though it's a "girly" saddle, and it weighs less than 250 grams.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Brooks B-17's are great. They'll outlast a Fizik tenfold. I have a Brooks "Team Pro" on my Tommasini and is beyond a shadow of a doubt the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden. My next one's going to be a B-17 N (narrow) for my future commuter bike.

Enjoy your B-17, you made a good choice.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
buccwwylld said:
i am 5"10 225# i've still been trying to find that perfect saddle,what brooks would u recommend
I see we are close in size. I'm 5' 10" also, and weigh about 240 (yeah it's coming off).

Your sit-bones may be different than mine, but the Brooks "Team Pro" was great right out of the box for me. Check with Wall Bike at www.wallbike,com for the complete Brooks line, along with info facts. Also the optimum Brooks for you depends on your riding style, sit-bone width, etc.

I got my saddle from www.branfordbike.com about a year ago, 'cause theirs seem to run a little cheaper than Wallbike, only without the return policy. Brooks saddles are some of the finest saddles made if you dont mind the "old school" look. Weight weenies need not apply on this saddle because it is a little heavier, but it will still be alive and kickin' long after the Fizik and Selle Italias have bit the dust.

· Registered
121 Posts
brad nicholson said:
any issues with the brooks getting wet? i'd hate to pedal all day in a drizzle or rain and have it ruin my leather saddle.
Do you use fenders? That is about the biggest thing I can recommend for riding a Brooks in the rain. Your butt will keep the top side covered. I live in Vancouver and we get plenty of rain. I am not having any trouble with my saddle here.

The other I would recommend is a seat cover or plastic bag if you park the bike outside in the rain.

Incidental wetness shouldn't be an issue.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
brad nicholson said:
any issues with the brooks getting wet? i'd hate to pedal all day in a drizzle or rain and have it ruin my leather saddle.
Once you get a Brooks saddle and coat it liberally with their "proofhide" stuff, it will shield it pretty good in just light rain. It's not like it will twist grossly out of shape just getting it wet. I've been caught in several rain storms with my Brooks "Pro" and after letting it dry out real good, followed by another proofhide treatment, was still good to go. You dont want to get it soaked thru though, thats why you need a good cover for it if you plan on getting it wet. In a pinch I use a plastic wall-mart bag, but generally I just try to stay out of the rain.

You have to treat a Brooks like it's some kind of cherished plant. (the damn thing breathes you know)
It does have a maintenance factor with them, but if you love it and take care of it, it will be your friend for a long long time.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
brad nicholson said:
Everyone talks about how you have to keep Brooks saddles dry, but I tell you... I rode my Brooks Pro through winter/early spring training for many years in and around Boston. I got it thoroughly soaked with well-salted water at LEAST twenty times per year, probably much more. And the thing just kept getting more and more comfortable. I did use plenty of Proofhide on it. And yes, I tightened it up a few times, but I still had plenty of adjustment left when I broke a rail while mountain biking when the saddle was more than 10 years old.

So, that's my experience.

- FBB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.