Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title about says it...
I have a Brooks Cambium C17 that I have now ridden for about 1500+ miles (and assumed good setup, since I had not changed any thing since)... But it now is giving me a bit of sit bone pain. - The boys' are alright, but the sit bones hurt!

I have enjoyed the Cambium very much, but now, since I am doing 75-100 miles a week it does seem a tad more saggy then when I first got it, but since it is a Cambium you can't tension it.

I do wear good cycling shorts, and butt'r... Just wondering if it's just deforming a little and perhaps I need a stiffer saddle.

Thoughts?
Rich

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
It's possible that your sit bone pain has nothing to do with the Cambium. Did you increase your weekly mileage recently? Some problems don't become noticeable until the miles start piling up. Generally, sit bone pain points to a fit issue, like sitting a bit too upright, putting all your weight on your sit bones. That usually doesn't matter for short rides, but can cause pain on longer ones.

Just as an aside: Check and see if the "rivets" are tight. They are not really rivets, but T-nuts held on with a Torx screw from below. On older Cambiums, these screws often came loose. Not sure how that would cause you pain, but anything is possible.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
It might not be the saddle. Bid shorts wear out and 'lose it' after a while. Or if you happened to have gotten some new ones that are different they may not work at well for you as what you have for the first 1500 miles.
I that ain't it and it truly nothing has changed then either your riding position has changed or you've increased miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mileage has went up, sure, but I didn’t think I ramped it up that badly. All rides are between 15-20 miles / day, with the occasional 25-30 miles every 2-3 weeks. Typically 1-2 rest days per week / depending on weather ect.

May and June we did 200 miles each, July we did 400, but again all rides with in that 20-25 per ride length. - The shorts are about a year old, I rotate 3 pairs… I’m 5’7” / 144lbs…

To be clear, this is a unique setup, it’s a Hase Bikes Pino Tandem, a relatively upright riding bike for me as captain.
:cool:

Given our current setup... I can ... tip the bars a little further forward (or back), and of course bring them up or down...

Bicycle part Transport Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

Rich

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
When I looked at a Cambium from the rear a few minutes ago, I saw how much a curved (from left to right) saddle it really is. So if your previous saddle was flatter in that direction (like the leather Brookses), it's possible that the Cambium is just not for you in the long run.

Sometimes it takes months for some issue to become so painful that you can no longer ignore it. Point being that the Cambium might have bothered you slightly from day one but you were able to put it out of your mind until now.

Your Hase Pino makes a lot of sense! Both riders can take in the view, and it looks as if it's just the ticket for two people where one of whom isn't exactly thrilled by the idea of having to perch on a bicycle saddle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The original Hase saddle was a basic Velo brand low end saddle...
If I had to say, like
https://www.amazon.com/Velo-bio-logic-Bicycle-Seat/dp/B003F4BMVO
I rode it for about 500 miles or so... I chose Brooks because well... Brooks... I have never ridden any of the leather / cut out saddles. So I honestly have nothing to compare to. - Not sure if I want to try a leather Brooks either.

The Hase Pino works out very well for us. My riding partner is blind and has very poor balance. This setup allows me to help her on and off the bike easily... :thumbsup:

Rich

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
This is interesting to me. So she stabilizes the bike both feet flat on the ground when you get on and off?

Hate to say it, but try the old low-end saddle again if you still have it and see how it goes. It looks flatter across the top, so you get the full width to sit on. The curved Cambium drops down left and right pretty significantly, so the full width as measured isn't really available to you as a sitting surface.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks wim... Yes I still have the old saddle...

As for the bike, no... there is a heavy duty double kickstand that allows the bike to remain upright, even with an adult on the front... (max load of 100kg/220lbs)
Product Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle Bicycle part

Many accessories can be had to make the bike accommodate for various needs. You can read more at the Hase website if you like. :)
Tandem PINO ALLROUND ? E-Bikes, Recumbent Bikes, Handbikes

Rich

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Thanks wim... Yes I still have the old saddle...

As for the bike, no... there is a heavy duty double kickstand that allows the bike to remain upright, even with an adult on the front... (max load of 100kg/220lbs)
That looks really interesting Rich, definitely something I would enjoy riding. I'll look more into it, thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts