Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've searched online and everyone complains about their treated Brooks staining their clothes.

I have a different problem. Today after a hot ride with sweaty chamois I got off the bike once home and the Brooks (honey) has black stains near the rivets. I have no idea how they got there other than my chamois.

I'm guessing this might just be normal wear and tear but it kinda sucks that my honey brooks will turn black in the long run?

FYI i'm using LG chamois.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Oxidation? how old is the saddle? Sweat will darken the leather but only because it's wet. As it ages it will take on a darker patina that actually adds to the look not take it away...well at least I think so. The best you can do to protect it aside from putting on a saddle cover, is to coat it with a thin coat of Proofide per Brooks Care instuctions, then buff it real well, next apply a coat of KIWI neutral paste (not liquid or any color) shoe wax and buff it out. I treat my Brooks to the shoe wax more then the Proofide which I only do once a year, but the shoe polish about once every month or two!

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,299 Posts
Dig it! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I've had two white saddles stained blue by the chamois in my PI shorts. They're the only pair I have with a blue chamois, so...........

Don't ask me how it bleeds through the Lycra when it gets wet, but what else could explain it? :confused:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I've had two white saddles stained blue by the chamois in my PI shorts. They're the only pair I have with a blue chamois, so...........

Don't ask me how it bleeds through the Lycra when it gets wet, but what else could explain it? :confused:
Blue gaseous discharge?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It really doesn't look like oxidation, and the saddle is only like 6 months old. Here is a pic.

View attachment 281124

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
It really doesn't look like oxidation, and the saddle is only like 6 months old. Here is a pic.

View attachment 281124
The attachment doesn't work, but that's ok. Look if you think it's oxidation you have two options: 1.) have the saddle warrantied by Brooks, or 2.) keep it and not worry about it. I'm kind of a prick, if that was my saddle I would want it right, so I would contact Brooks and get it remedied.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
The attachment doesn't work, but that's ok. Look if you think it's oxidation you have two options: 1.) have the saddle warrantied by Brooks, or 2.) keep it and not worry about it. I'm kind of a prick, if that was my saddle I would want it right, so I would contact Brooks and get it remedied.
I have an older (20+ years) honey B17 with the small copper rivets. It is badly stained around the rivits. I dont ride it much and it has been wet over the years. It just happens. Its character. I also have several Brooks saddles with the large copper rivets. They oxidize fast. Or at least fast enough they look poilshed after a good long ride.

I dont know if thats what happening to his. Just throwing it out there. Copper oxodizes, fast.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I have an older (20+ years) honey B17 with the small copper rivets. It is badly stained around the rivits. I dont ride it much and it has been wet over the years. It just happens. Its character. I also have several Brooks saddles with the large copper rivets. They oxidize fast. Or at least fast enough they look poilshed after a good long ride.

I dont know if thats what happening to his. Just throwing it out there. Copper oxodizes, fast.
I wonder why mine haven't, and the B17 is 15 years old or so. It does have a darker look to the copper then it did when it was new, but copper oxidizes and turns a bluish greenish color, mine's not doing that. I have copper bottom pots and pans and they turn dark over time, so you use copper polish to take the darkness off. I haven't done that with my seat rivets because I kind of like the dark copper look, but darkness is not oxidation, bluish greenish discoloring is.

I'm a bit perplexed that's all.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a bit perplexed that's all.
That makes two of us.

I really think it's from my chamois but i don't see nay wear on my shorts/bibs. I'm kinda dumbfounded. I've only treated the saddle to Proofhide and the discoloration appeared out of nowhere.

I really dont want to exchange the saddle since it is a limited edition, and I'm not sure if there's any more "out there".

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
That makes two of us.

I really think it's from my chamois but i don't see nay wear on my shorts/bibs. I'm kinda dumbfounded. I've only treated the saddle to Proofhide and the discoloration appeared out of nowhere.

I really dont want to exchange the saddle since it is a limited edition, and I'm not sure if there's any more "out there".
A limited edition yikes for replacing but yippee for such a saddle.

Try this, take some tape and tape off the leather around the rivets so that no exposed leather is showing just the copper rivets are showing, and tape off about the first half of the saddle completely except for the rivets of course.

Then go buy a small container of Wrights Copper Cream for about $6, and a very small round toothbrush, or a use an old one if you have a small one.

Then get the brush wet and put a spot of the cream on the brush and gently rub the rivets. This is why you need to cover up the leather because I'm not sure what this cream will do to leather. After that the copper should be shiny and bright copper color. Then get a clean damp wash cloth and wipe the rivets off and do it again with a clean wet section of the wash cloth, this is why you need to cover the rear half of the saddle so you don't get it wet. Then use a soft cloth and wipe the rivets dry.

Wrights by the way is a very mild abrasive cleaner, it will not damage the copper though like some cleaners can, and because it's a very mild abrasive it shouldn't damage the leather, but to be safe cover it. I could not find any internet reports that using this cream could damage leather, SO I e-mailed the company with the question, if you want to wait for the response from them before trying it then great, as soon as they say yah or nah I will let you know, if you don't want to wait and just want to do it or don't want to do that at all that's ok too.

If the oxidation returns later then repeat the above and consider as an option this: buy a very thin model paint brush and some lacquer and "paint" the rivets with the lacquer, do 4 coats, drying between each coat. Again tape the leather off around the rivets so as to keep the lacquer off the leather.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool, sounds good. Let me know and I will take my Brooks care to the next level :D

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Wright responded by saying not to get the cream on the leather it could discolor it. So if you still want to get the oxidation off you will need to tape off the leather real well probably using painters tape like Frog Tape Delicate Surface tape, not the cheap stuff either, and cover the back half of the seat so as to not accidentally get any of the cream on the leather when the wipe off begins. Then get the small round tooth brush damp and dab it in the cream putting just a small amount on the brush, and swirl the brush around on the rivets till their cleaned of the oxidation, then wipe off with a damp rag turning frequently. If the tape is still intact and in good condition with no lifting edges after the copper shining then I would put some clear lacquer over each rivet with a fine model paint brush; if the tape is bad then you will have to put new tape down to put the lacquer on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.