Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Non non normal
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been subliminally avoiding all the rave reviews about the Brooks saddles. I think it is because of the stigma acquired by Brooks ownership officially places you in the old fart category.

After much mental anguish I am prepared to bolt on a 2 pound leather anchor onto my seatpost and see what all the fuss is about.

I am thinking about the B17, B17 Narrow, Team Pro.

I am presently riding a San Marco Techno Dynamica and am wondering based on my present saddle and healthy weight (240ish) which would be my best bet as a first encounter with leather.

· Non non normal
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just ordered a black B17 and a Green B17 Special, and one tin of Proofide with the total bill delivered to my front door ........ $125.46

I guess I will try the green on on my fixed and the regular one on my commuter rig.

Wooglin, you still got that much hair on your head?

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
bigrider said:
I have been subliminally avoiding all the rave reviews about the Brooks saddles. I think it is because of the stigma acquired by Brooks ownership officially places you in the old fart category.
I used to ride a Brooks Pro when I was a young whippersnapper in the 1980s. I rode it through one late winter/early spring season in the Boston area. I was riding about 150-200 miles/week back then. The saddle got soaked with salty road water at least twice per week on average. After that, it fit my butt like a glove. It was the most comfortable saddle known to man.

I transfered the saddle to my ATB in the 1990s and eventually broke a rail. I bought a new Brooks Pro, but I was in grad school, studying Aikido as my main workout, then working as an engineer, then being a dad, etc., so my riding mileage plummeted. Also, I was in So Cal, and I had turned into a "fair weather only" cyclist so the saddle never got wet. Bottom line - the new Brooks Pro never broke in, and I sold it a few years ago (at a nice profit, BTW).

Recently, I decided to give Brooks another chance. I ordered a honey-colored B-17, which is sitting in my garage, waiting for me to get to work building up the new frame that Allan Wanta just built for me. I am hoping to start the build this weekend, but I suspect it will take me a while to complete. I need to build the wheels, and it's been a looooooong time since I built a wheel...

I have high hopes for the new B-17. Everyone seems to say good things about them. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yours,

FBB

· Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
bigrider said:
Wooglin, you still got that much hair on your head?
Not quite, but only because I just got a hair cut. Can't do much about the grey though. :)

Seamus, I think of that as my Greg Brady look. Remember when they all got perms? Damn, I miss the 70s. Except for that disco crap. :D

· Non non normal
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MB1 said:
BTW you saying Miss M is an old fart???

Nooooooo! I was implying MissM's husband was an old fart. :D

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Don't let anyone give you grief about being old... at least the photo is in color!

· Registered
225 Posts
I put my B17N on my MTB/Commuter about 4k miles ago. I used to have "problems" on long rides. Not anymore. Most comfortable saddle I've ever owned... and this is the 12th that's been on this bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.