Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately on Ebay I see a lot of sort of Brooks knock-offs i.e. leather saddles in the shape of Brooks Swallow orTeam Pros. They seem to be made by Taiwanese companies and are a lot cheaper than real Brooks saddle.. under $100. Anyone had an opportunity to buy one? If so what kind of quality are we talking here? Also, I must say, I'm a little torn about even inquiring as I have been a loyal Brooks customer for sometime now and would hate to bargain hunt them out of business.
peace

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just a heads up, only by accident I came across these "Gyes Parkside" leather saddles from Taiwan, seems they are on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Gyes-Parkside-Leather-Touring-Bicycle/dp/B001PRAFKC/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

I only mention them because apparently, they even undercut some of the other sellers' prices out there. Not many reviews at amazon but some of the ones there are favorable.

Edit: It looks like they have decreased their selection to only 2 saddles, with springs. Perhaps their inventory ran low.

However, one thing I do wonder about if 'some' sellers were comparing the leather saddles they made to certain Brooks models, say a B-17 and Brooks looked at people doing that and said, "no you can't do that." I'm not positive, but I think that might have happened. Now, notice, sellers don't say "this is like model X but ours is $20 less expensive."

------------------

2ndly, I don't take umbrage to it being mentioned, but one can still visit the Brooks factory in England and I know of one case where a fellow's saddle rail broke after being used for 25 years and the Brooks people in England in fact, put that old leather back on a new railing! If that is not customer service, then I don't know what is!

·
Registered
51 Posts
johnlh said:
My B17 Special came with a "MADE IN TIAWAN" sticker. Still a great saddle, regardless.
I don't dispute anyone's word, I did find this.
"In an age when most companies are out-sourcing to Taiwan or China, Brooks Saddles continues to hand make each of their saddles at their facility in Smethwick, England. Wired Magazine toured the Brooks factory and has a great gallery showcasing the process. Really awesome photos of hand-made products. Sounds like something up Tracko's alley."
http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2010/03/wired_a_tour_inside_the_brooks.php

Not sure what the youtube videos say left under comments, my computer isn't that good to chase down all leads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts