Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn’t a fan of the first generation Brooks bar tape… The honey colored tape lost its color very quick and looked almost a dull white after a few rides….

The second generation tape (it can be identified because its perforated vs. smooth) is greatly improved.. I have this stuff on two bikes now and it’s very comfortable and wears extremely well…the cork end bar plugs look great too…

If you want tape to match your Brooks saddle, this is good stuff…..

· scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Classy look oh soon to be shorn one... but you are gonna get cricketed over here in General....

BTW... arent you supposed to be 'working' in a cabana somewhere?

· Registered
638 Posts
I had black brooks tape on my old lemond versaille and loved it. Luckily I sold the bike to a friend so I get to look at it every time I ride. Very comfortable and just looks so elegant and old school. Well worth the investment.

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Proofhide?

I have some (perforated) honey bar tape that I'm waiting to install on a bike I'm building. It's a pretty different color compared to my saddle, which has had proofhide put on it. I was thinking of proofhiding (is that even a word?) my bar tape to make the colors match, but not sure how that will affect the bar tape, such as it becoming slippery.

· Registered
609 Posts
Have any of you guys tried the Velo-orange elk hide bar covers? If so how do the Brooks Bar tape compare?

· Registered
819 Posts
I have the elkhide covers and love them. I actually used the leftover bit as grips on my new flatbar I put on the Langster.

New bars and wrap. Horrible pics, but best I could do right now. I have a trailer bike hooked to it right now and it isn't as easy to throw around. (Same bike as above, but with the flat bar that comes on the Langster Seatle, very swept.)

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
kooratz said:
I have these on my Langster SS wrapped in Brown Toshi leather tape...great bars.
They are for me that's for sure....I will be getting set number 3 for my Trek fixed next.

For me, they are the MOST best ergonomically design I have ever used....old design...new name....I find most "ergo" bars just plain wrong for MY body and dimensions!

· duh...
9,749 Posts
what about rain? how does it hold up? I know those fenders aren't just for show.

btw, still checking my mailbox every day for a swift. :eek: did you ever get an eno fw?

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
hey, btw if you suffer from dry, cracked hands in the winter, proofide is just about the best thing in the world for them......I realized this while polishing up my saddle one day...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.