Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the Brooks leather handlebar tape? I'm thinking about adding it to my Miayta http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=144124 Specifically I'm wanting to know about lifecycle/durability in the rain. I live in the Pacific Northwest and occasionally (Nov--May) we have rain. A leather saddle isn't an issue as my body and fenders keep it mostly dry, however the bars are out in the open unprotected. In the past I'd never pay so much for bar tape but the reality now days is that it's only the cost of a tank of gas and since I commute on the bike justifications can be made......

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
While I don't ride in the rain much, I have 3 bike with the Brooks tape.
I love the stuff...I proof hide it and it weathers like the saddle..

You won't have any problems with it in the rain...It's extremely durable and will last a lifetime...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
I love my brooks bar tape, the cork and wood plugs on the other hand....not so much. They stick out an additional 1/4 inch and never did fit properly in my Nitto Randonneur bars..Well now, in the left, all I have left is a ork, the wood part wet missing. I am pretty irritated considering they are 12 fricking bucks a pair.

You guys know where I can get a set of vintage, bar plugs with the screw in the center?...preferably in brown?

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
Well ToG, this may (or may not) work, depending on your stock of empties. I was thinking about trying to do something along the lines of the Brooks plugs, and realized that I have a collection of wine corks, sparkling wine stoppers and cork stoppers from Scotch whisky bottles. :blush2: Anyway, it looks like there are a few that might fit the bill for what I want to do. Only problem is the one that I really like, I only have one of. So it looks like a trip to the liquor store may be in order. :cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PomPilot said:
Well ToG, this may (or may not) work, depending on your stock of empties. I was thinking about trying to do something along the lines of the Brooks plugs, and realized that I have a collection of wine corks, sparkling wine stoppers and cork stoppers from Scotch whisky bottles. :blush2: Anyway, it looks like there are a few that might fit the bill for what I want to do. Only problem is the one that I really like, I only have one of. So it looks like a trip to the liquor store may be in order. :cool:
Way ahead of ya' on that one. Favorite Chianti on the left, favorite Pinot Gris on the right. I left them sticking out a bit on purpose with the wine stained side out and still no one has noticed (or at least commented).

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
too funny I gues i didn't catch that when I clicked on the link to the "reborn" thread.......So, if you get them in too far do you use a corkscrew to get them out?.....LOL

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
You guys know where I can get a set of vintage, bar plugs with the screw in the center?...preferably in brown?
I think that I have a pair of brown rubber bar plugs with a screws in the center. I took them off a NOS 1981 Centruion and installed barcons (and Brooks leather taper). I'm travelling for the next 8 days, but will look for them next week. I don't throw out much old bike stuff, but I will have to find them.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
I think that I have a pair of brown rubber bar plugs with a screws in the center. I took them off a NOS 1981 Centruion and installed barcons (and Brooks leather taper). I'm travelling for the next 8 days, but will look for them next week. I don't throw out much old bike stuff, but I will have to find them.
thanks...'preciate it...either PM or re-post here with details....thanks

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
R-531.....Thanks, finally got here today, can't say without a hitch though....The US Postal service and their delicate handling of the package proved to be more than it could take, it had been torn asunder and re taped back together...one plug made it....one is somewhere between you and me....sigh....Thanks though, I still owe ya.....

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Velo-orange has their own leather tape- it's cheaper than brooks.

http://www.velo-orange.com/hacoandta.html

Also, sewn-on leather covers.

I've not used their leather tape, but I've had nothing but good experiences with VO so far.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
So far so good...

A brooks leather saddle came on my Raleigh Sojourn. Only had it a few weeks, but it's seen some rain, and it just gets wet and dries. I think it'll last a long, long time, I'll just probably take it off and condition it after a season,...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Ben's Cycle has Toshi tape as well....many colors

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....but these plugs were BROWN.......and brand new......and I have ONE.....wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I don't want black...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Expensive is Brooks tape - but I love it! Note: I don't ever wrap my bars from the bottom's up. Always a few wraps at the top, then down around & in. Never had it come loose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been using Brooks "honey" colored bar tape for six months on my fixie/commuter and over a year on my geared road bike.

Here in the high desert (New Mexico) I've found it necessary to actually use the proofide stuff on them to avoid them drying out/cracking. I avoided this at first assuming it would cause them to become slippery, but this fear has not been realized.

I've had issues with the cork/wood plugs on both bikes. On the Fixie they come loose regularly so it's become a habit of mine to regularly press them into place when I hop on the bike. I'm pretty certain they will eventually fall out. I've assumed it simply is too dry here for the cork and that it is drying out (and hence shrinking slightly). In a more moist climate (such as England) the cork would stay moist from the humidity - but from the comments of others it sounds like my theory may be incorrect.

On the geared road bike, the wood cap separated from the cork on both plugs within the first few months. I glued them back on using wood glue and since then they've been maintenance free (about 14 months).

I brought the geared road bike with me when I spent a few months in Warwickshire England this winter. During that time the bar tape (and the saddle) experienced rain, snow, and even a little ice on a "freezing fog" day (this desert dweller thought that was quite an odd weather event). They also experienced more moisture than normal as I stored the bike in my hotel bathroom. I was initially concerned that all of this would have some kind of negative impact on the tape or the saddle but instead they had absolutely no impact whatsoever. I did proofide both lightly once each month that I was there, this may have helped but who knows.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I just put some Brooks tape on my road bike last week, and while I have not ridden it in the rain so far, I do love the feel of it over regular old bar tape.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts