Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like a lot of Brooks users hang out on this forum, so maybe someone can help me with a Brooks issue. I started using a B17 standard, dialed it in, feels good, except I am getting rubbing at the back of my leg, just below the butt. The problem is the "ridge" where the side skirt meets the top of the saddle, that is causing the rubbing. Is this a part of normal breakin? Do other Brooks models not have a ridge like that? Or does this mean I need to try a narrower model?

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Sounds like you need to go narrower. I don't envision a Brooks breaking in based on rubbing.

What kind of bike do you have? Brooks recommends a narrower saddle for road bikes, particularly if your handlebars are lower than your saddle.

I have a Swift (narrow saddle) and a B17 Standard. I first put the B17 on my road bike, and within minutes was painfully uncomfortable. I got the Swift for the roadie and loved it, then put the B17 on a hybrid wth a more upright position. In that configuration, the B17 has been stellar.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
I posted on this same topic in your other thread,.....so here goes. I agree with Dr.Roebuck. I have the Brooks 'Pro' and it is narrower both front and back than the B-17, which is a great saddle. The B-17-N (narrow) may be just right for you, as it is the same width as the 'Swift' at 152mm, but not as narrow in the snout. The Brooks 'Pro' is 160mm wide, compared to 170mm for the standard B-17.

Check with www.wallbike.com for all the specs and great pictures of the Brooks line. They even have a pic of all 5 saddles side by side to illustrate the differences in width. Look at the pic and go from there to see what may be best for you.

·
Vintage bike and rider
166 Posts
bw77 said:
It looks like a lot of Brooks users hang out on this forum, so maybe someone can help me with a Brooks issue. I started using a B17 standard, dialed it in, feels good, except I am getting rubbing at the back of my leg, just below the butt. The problem is the "ridge" where the side skirt meets the top of the saddle, that is causing the rubbing. Is this a part of normal breakin? Do other Brooks models not have a ridge like that? Or does this mean I need to try a narrower model?
I don't think this chafing is part of normal break-in, I think there's too much saddle in between your legs at that point. A narrower saddle might be a good choice, but you could also test teh width issue by moving your B17 back in say 2 mm increments, and seeing if the pressure drops off. If you can find a point where the ridge chafing disappears and your sitbones and other sensitive bits are still happy, you'll save the $$ of a new saddle.

Sitbone pain might be an acclimation issue, but chafing isn't, IMHO.

Ken Freeman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.