Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Very Nice, Who Stitched it

Did Wallbike do the stitching for you or did you do that post purchase. I would like to do that with my B17, but I am scarred I may hose it up and mess up the saddle. It is sure a sweet looking one.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saddle comes that way...

fredstaple said:
Did Wallbike do the stitching for you or did you do that post purchase. I would like to do that with my B17, but I am scarred I may hose it up and mess up the saddle. It is sure a sweet looking one.
This is the picture from the Walbike site. Saddle comes this way. I haven't recieved it yet.

Mike

·
Registered
704 Posts
Utterly magnificent!

I can feel my buns metaphorically shriek in agony at the sight of such a displaced piece of cowskin :eek:

I can still recall when plastic saddles first came out - within weeks, you could find Brooks leather saddles in the backs of roadies' sheds all over the country - and that was in England.

Funnily enough, shortly afterwards, we all started buying leathercloth or thin leather at craft stores and gluing it onot our plastic saddles.

Some of us had fancy colour schemes way before Fizik was even thought up, let alone selling them commercially...

Whatever, you may be one of those fortunate few whose backsides are soon broken in to riding a real leather seat, and henceforth become a demonstration of true class and the object of adoration by millions. One hopes such a saddle is atop a Campag equipped steel road bike, preferably with downtube shifters and none of that tasteless CF stuff either :)

Meantime - "you can pry my dead, cold buns off my Pave" :cool:
Regards (and good luck :) )

Dereck

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
The saddle you posted is beautiful. Wall Bike is fantastic. I purchased a Brooks Pro on Sunday night online, and it arrived this morning (Tuesday) with free shipping. Plus, I'm not sure if the Professional will work for me, but there is no risk with Wall Bike. .

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well....

this saddle will look funny on my swoopy carbon fiber bike, but it will mostly be under my a$$ so who cares.

Mike

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
fredstaple said:
That's from the 2006 Brooks product line and comes stock as shown.

As for doing it your self at home, mark it with a marker, take it outside and use a 40 watt soldering iron to burn you holes.

·
Registered
727 Posts
pretty as the sides are, i would cut them off. this has been discussed on here before, but basically you can trim down the thigh-glides. it would look wayyyy better, be a bit lighter........nice.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the sides....

I have seen pics of B-17s with the sides removed. They look nice, but I actually like the sides. My bike is pretty light so I am not worried about the 1/2 pound or so weight penalty. Not much weight to be saved by trimming the sides anyway.

Mike

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
What is this world coming to? Even Brooks trying to tempt us with something new. I ride a regular B-17 and really like it. I'm trying to buy a used B-66 for my three speed on E-bay, but keep getting outbid. I may just have to pony up for one like yours, since I don't really need the springs.

·
Registered
704 Posts
mprevost said:
this saddle will look funny on my swoopy carbon fiber bike, but it will mostly be under my a$$ so who cares.

Mike
Haven't you just about doubled the weight of your bike with putting a Brooks on it <VBG> ?

D

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I didn't realize Brooks was offering drilled-out B17s.

I once drilled and tied an old second-hand B-17N to help stiffen it up. It helped alot, but alas, it was finally too old and started to tear out at the nose. I replaced it with a Brooks Team Pro. I doubt that you'll need to lace ties through the holes for the first 10,000 miles, or so.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
240 lbs, 10,000 miles w/out lacing, but if I had to...

I have a B-17 and a Pro with at least 10,000 miles each (I've had the Pro since the early '80s, I think, but it spent a few years on the shelf), and they've never had anything done to them but Proofide a couple of times a year.
If you want to do decorative lacing, though, you could use a variation of the old lace-up repair technique. Somebody else suggested burning the holes, which probably would work, but everything I've read says to drill them, removing material so you get a round hole with no easy place to start a rip. Piercing the leather with an awl might leave a ragged edge or a corner that would be a potential weak spot.
Just based on my experience, trimming the sides would be a mistake. Doesn't look good to me, which isn't important--but the way the shell is designed, it looks like all that leather on the side helps carry the load. The things will last for decades if you just leave 'em alone.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Awesome

Durandal said:
That's from the 2006 Brooks product line and comes stock as shown.

As for doing it your self at home, mark it with a marker, take it outside and use a 40 watt soldering iron to burn you holes.

Thanks for advice!

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Durandal said:
Kerrrr-&^%$#-rist DON'T do that! I'm a 25 year custom leatherworker and have made a zillion holes in leather. Have the fella go to the nearest Tandy leather store and get (or mailorder from Tandy) their Economy Rotary Punch #3220-00 for $10. Then he can punch is own NEAT holes. Burn 'em through? I shudder.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah...

Dereck said:
Haven't you just about doubled the weight of your bike with putting a Brooks on it <VBG> ?

D
I'm sure that 1/2 pound will slow me down by at least .5 seconds over a 40 K TT. I should go back to a plastic a$$ hatchet. That .5 seconds is too large a price to pay for comfort!

Mike

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
I bought a B17. After about a hundred miles of patient break-in (i.e.,suffering), knots began to form in the muscles between my sitbones and said saddle. Every time I'd pedal, the knotted muscle would shift back and forth over the sitbones with a horrible click. Eventually, I realized either my a$$ or the saddle would had to go. Guess which one I got rid of. Simultaneously, I also relieved my bicycle of about a half a pound of weight.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
I have a B-17 Champion Special that I got from Wall Bike about a year ago. I love it. It was the best seat i've ever used, and I felt that way from the very first ride. I didn't have any breaking in pains that I have heard other people mention.

Here it is... (the Mavic K's have been replaced by hand built rims with Phil Wood hubs, and the handlebars and stem have been changed to Nitto components from Rivendell)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts