Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seem to be a lot of Brooks users on this forum, so I was hoping someone could help with this problem. I've been riding a B17 standard for about 100 miles, and I have it dialed in for height, fore-aft and tilt, and it feels great, except for one problem.

I have some rubbing on the back of my legs, just below my butt. Like the edge of the chamois is rubbing the saddle skirt. And the chamois is fairly minimal (Boure Pro).
I use lubricant, but it is still a problem.

Do I just have to get used to it, or would a different Brooks model work better for me, or maybe different shorts???

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'm a relatively new Brooks owner. I have about 1,000 miles on mine. I'll chime in because I noticed the same thing when I first started using it. The saddle is much wider than any I've used before. I'm still getting used to it. I'm also wondering if a different brooks would be better.

The B17 is intended for a more upright position. The B17 Narrow is more suited for those you have a more aggressive position on the bike. Some of the other Brooks models are even more narrow and may be best.

FWIW, 100 miles is not nearly enough time to dial in a Brooks saddle. Some people claim that hundreds of miles are required to break it in. Give it more time. I found that moving the saddle back while sitting more forward on it, helped.

BTW, the highest concentration of Brooks users are on the Touring/Commuting forum.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
I agree with 'biknben' that the B-17 is pretty wide. Its about the widest unsprung Brooks saddle offered I think, so you may do well going with the B-17 narrow, or with the Brooks "Pro" which is even narrower (and thicker). Check out www.wallbike.com for the complete Brooks line, along with lots of cool pictures and all the specs. If you do have to get another saddle you wont have any problem selling yours on e-bay. In fact I think Jim at Wall bike will even take yours for a trade-in.

I have the Brooks "Pro" on my bike, and is the most comfortable saddle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Brooks saddles fit everybody who rides on them.

I found another saddle that fit me lots better but the Brooks Pro wasn't intolerable. Do notice that not every rider rides them, despite the high rate of satisfaction from those that do. My experience was that the break in period was fairly short and was mostly about micro adjustments and my ass getting used to the saddle. I rode on it for over a year without pain or injury. One test ride on a bike with the original San Marco Concor saddle and the Brooks Pro went in the junk box and ultimately onto a bike I gave to the Catholic Worker House.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
I ride a B-17 N my experience is that it takes a good 200 to 300 miles to get used to it..I am 5 foot 6 and weigh damn near 130 pounds. I have seen some sweet customized Brooks, they can be trimmed (the skirt) as well as laced from underneath to pull the skirt in towards the center. I have about 15,000 miles on this saddle and have been riding on Brooks since 1962. I have done century+ three days consecutively and 585 miles in 7 days on this one and have never been sore or used balm. You gotta break your butt in right...(note I did NOT say break the saddle in) My only problem with brooks is what seems to be short rails underneath which makes it hard to get enough setback sometimes.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
Actually, a Team Pro is narrower in the nose, but wider at the end.
I'm a clyde, and have been using the B17 Champ Special for a year (about 5,000 miles). I think the problem is definitely because of the width. Much wider than a traditional saddle.

Like many others have said, you may need a narrower model.

Having said that, I didn't really notice a breakin period. It felt good from the moment I switched to it (aside from dialing in the tilt/height). That reminds me though...need to proofide it. Haven't done it since I got it.

Here's mine (got the honey color)

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
Actually, a Team Pro is narrower in the nose, but wider at the end.
No, you are wrong! The Brooks B-17 is 170mm wide x 280mm long. The Brooks "Pro" is 160mm wide x 280mm long and narrower in the snout too. The B-17 N (narrow) is 152mm wide, the same width as the "Swift" but not as narrow in the snout as the swift, or the team pro.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
croswell1 said:
No, you are wrong! The Brooks B-17 is 170mm wide x 280mm long. The Brooks "Pro" is 160mm wide x 280mm long and narrower in the snout too. The B-17 N (narrow) is 152mm wide, the same width as the "Swift" but not as narrow in the snout as the swift, or the team pro.
Sorry. What I meant to say was that the Team Pro was wider than the B17N. I own both saddles, I don't own a B17 standard anymore.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Hard edge.

I have some rubbing on the back of my legs, just below my butt. Like the edge of the chamois is rubbing the saddle skirt.
It's possible that only the very edge (which is very hard indeed) of the saddle skirt is making contact. Some Brooks saddles come with the saddle skirt edges skived to keep that from happening.

If that turns out the problem, you could get a Brooks with skived edges or have someone good with leather and the right tool skive the edges of your saddle.

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
Regarding Brooks widths ...

... would it be reasonably accurate to say that the B17 is sorta-kinda like what most of us had on the paper-route Schwinns we rode when we were kids, and the B17N is more like the modern saddles we have on our grown-up road bikes?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered a Team Pro

Just ordered a Team Pro from Wallbike. Hopefully that will work for me, if not I can return it within 6 months for a refund. It looks like it's more rounded at the top/side junction, so hopefully it won't rub my leg. And it's 10mm less wide.

For now I have gone back to my Koobi Silver, which does not rub, but seems to focus my weight on my sitbones to the point of making them sore after 2 hours. The B17 felt great on my sitbones, but just rubbed me the wrong way.

Thanks for your comments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.