Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: why are no Brooks saddles listed in the "Reviews" section? I've written in e-mails asking for them with no response. They are still popular, especially with touring riders who don't worry about an extra few ounces. I know they have a lot of reviews of them over on MTBR.com but it seems to me that they should be here, too.

Smokey

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Doggity said:
I dunno, but just get the B17. Best money you'll ever spend; way better than any blob of plastic.
Not my cup of tea, but many do love them. Reviews are pretty meaningless when it comes to saddles anyway. It's a very personal thing for most.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
FatTireFred said:
do people even read the reviews?
I do. I'm going to put mountain bike pedals--about which I know nothing except I dislike SPDs--on my commuter. I went to mtbr to read reviews and found Time ATAC pedals to have 1. a lot of reviews; 2. to have a very high average review.

Never heard of that pedal before, and now it's one of the two I'm narrowed down to.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
jorgy said:
I do. I'm going to put mountain bike pedals--about which I know nothing except I dislike SPDs--on my commuter. I went to mtbr to read reviews and found Time ATAC pedals to have 1. a lot of reviews; 2. to have a very high average review.

Never heard of that pedal before, and now it's one of the two I'm narrowed down to.
ATACs are great. I run them on my MTB and 29er SS. Fairly large platform so you could ride without bike shoes if needed and they have lots of float.

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
x11ty on not worrying about saddle reviews. Brooks saddles will last forever when well cared for.

My recommendation is go to measure your seatbone width & get the brooks that's a cm or two wider (unlike a plastic/foam saddle where being out on the edges won't make much of a difference, you don't want to be sitting on the rear "frame" of a Brooks).

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
My only apprehension about them is whether they require force to unclip from.

My roadie has Speedplay X2s and I love that they are effortless to clip out of. I tried other pedals, but felt like I was damaging my knee every time I unclipped.

So I'm down to the Time ATAC and Speedplay Frogs.

Bocephus Jones II said:
ATACs are great. I run them on my MTB and 29er SS. Fairly large platform so you could ride without bike shoes if needed and they have lots of float.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
jorgy said:
My only apprehension about them is whether they require force to unclip from.

My roadie has Speedplay X2s and I love that they are effortless to clip out of. I tried other pedals, but felt like I was damaging my knee every time I unclipped.

So I'm down to the Time ATAC and Speedplay Frogs.
No harder to clip out of than my road pedals (Campy)...quick twist and you're out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's another vote for the atac's. I've owned both the Frogs and ATACs and found the ATACs to work much better and more easily. You'll be happy you got 'em.

Now back on topic- I'm considering a Brooks, but wonder how long they take to break in? How many rides, how many miles, etc. Any advice?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have

two swifts and two swallows. The swifts took 500 miles or so to become comfortable.

Now the swallow is comfortable right out of the box. I didn't need to break them in.

TT

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
DoubleTap said:
two swifts and two swallows. The swifts took 500 miles or so to become comfortable.

Now the swallow is comfortable right out of the box. I didn't need to break them in.

TT
Cause your a$$ is shaped like a Brooks now!....just sayin (been riding Brooks since the mid 60's)

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
guess they made enough/too many.....lol

They went out of business once....their public forced them back into business......we Brooks lovers are a devoted lot......

edit: Look at Mr Hickey.... :rolleyes: a year into it and he has a hundred all ready...LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.