Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Brooks sometimes look odd on modern bikes but if the Brooks is what your arse wants its worth it. I would never sacrifice comfort for style.

There are other Brooks models that are more "sporty" but they may or may not be the right saddle for you.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Travis Morud said:
I am considering a new saddle for my Raleigh Supercourse. I'm wanting comfort over weight. Is the Brooks B17 the way to go or would it look out of place on a carbon fiber road bike?
I got a Brooks Swallow for my Colnago Master X a while back--mainly because I liked the look with the lugged steel. It is a pretty comfortable saddle, but I can't say it's any more comfortable than the Fizik Arione it replaced--and Brooks have really short rails so it can be a challenge to get the saddle back far enough without a large setback post (note...had to buy a new post also). A B17 will look funny on a "modern" bike IMO, but if it works better than other saddles, go for it.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Travis Morud said:
I am considering a new saddle for my Raleigh Supercourse. I'm wanting comfort over weight. Is the Brooks B17 the way to go or would it look out of place on a carbon fiber road bike?
I have 3 bikes with Brooks B17 saddles, but it seems illogical to put one on a carbon fiber bike. Weight is the only advantage of carbons fiber and you'll completely negate it with a 540 g saddle. So you end up paying a premium for a bike with all the disadvantges of CF but none of the advantages.

A B17 is designed for a more upright seating position than is typically used on a racing bike. If the handlbars are below the saddle a B17 might not be the best choice.

Finally, yes in my opinion it will look (and be) out of place.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Any Brooks should fit you just fine. They are widder than most road saddles now. Most saddle are so narrow 125 to 135 mm that many people are sitting between their sit bones and wonder why they get knee pain, hot spots on their feet, gunk goes numb, cant ride more than an hour, or their butt hurts.

If you are riding the super course then you need to look more at the Brooks Swift or Swallow. The B 17 is more for a up right sitting postion, say touring or mountain biking. Yes you can use it...but because its so wide you sometimes get the feeling that you need to push yourself back on the seat from time to time because of how it flairs out. The swift is going to be a little bit stiffer because it has more leather on the side compaired to the Swallow. Note:more leather on the side skirts make the saddle stiffer.

I have a B 17 and the Swift. I use the Swift on my Road Bike the B 17 for touring and mountain biking. The Swift and Swallow have long rails for adjustments, but if you get the B 17 you will probably need a different seatpost with more setback. I used to run Flite seats for my road bike but after going to the Swift i wouldnt go back.

Now the other thing with Brooks Saddles is that they are taller. Which means you will loose about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of seatpost. I was using a Thomson Setback seatpost but had to switch it out because the saddle pushed it down to the angle part.

Yes, the Brooks are heavier..and they will never win in the weight department. But you can still use it 30 years from now...unlike all the plastic saddle that will wear out in 2 or 3 years.

hope that helps...

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
Try before you buy. I personally think that the B-17 is not particularly comfortable. It's too wide for me, and interferes with my pedal stroke. I have a Brooks Swift on a mountain bike and I like it much better - the narrow shape works better for me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
I have 3 bikes with Brooks B17 saddles, but it seems illogical to put one on a carbon fiber bike. Weight is the only advantage of carbons fiber and you'll completely negate it with a 540 g saddle. So you end up paying a premium for a bike with all the disadvantges of CF but none of the advantages.

A B17 is designed for a more upright seating position than is typically used on a racing bike. If the handlbars are below the saddle a B17 might not be the best choice.

I'm going to go home today and put my Brooks B-17 on my Giant TCR just because it is not the established norm. How can something be out of place if it comfortable and gets you out on the bike more or lets you ride longer. I would love to see Armstrong or the Schlecks ride a Brooks saddle on a stage of the ToF just to watch the copycats.

·
9,790 Posts
Reynolds531 said:

To me, it's like ordering a large Big Mac meal and a Diet Coke. Yes, it may seem funny, but it's saving you the calories that a regular Coke would have (and the sugar, if you're Type II like me). Putting a Brooks on a carbon bike makes the bike weigh the same as an aluminum bike, but if the end result is more comfortable, who has the right to say it's "wrong"? The end result is lighter than an Aluminum bike with a Brooks...

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
lemond2001 said:
Swift and Swallow have long rails for adjustments, but if you get the B 17 you will probably need a different seatpost with more setback. I used to run Flite seats for my road bike but after going to the Swift i wouldnt go back.
But still not as long as something like the Arione...I can get 2-3cm further back on my Arione than with the Swallow.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
PlatyPius said:
To me, it's like ordering a large Big Mac meal and a Diet Coke. Yes, it may seem funny, but it's saving you the calories that a regular Coke would have (and the sugar, if you're Type II like me). Putting a Brooks on a carbon bike makes the bike weigh the same as an aluminum bike, but if the end result is more comfortable, who has the right to say it's "wrong"? The end result is lighter than an Aluminum bike with a Brooks...
I am in real trouble. I have all steel bikes and they all have a Brooks saddle on them. :eek6:

·
Frog Whisperer
40,942 Posts
I have 3 bikes with B17-N on them, including an all carbon....I would not change any of them

·
Registered
989 Posts
I agree with everything that's been said. I have a Brooks Swift on my Specialized Roubaix all carbon bike and I have a Fizik Aliante on my Look and I have to say they are both pretty comfortable. I have a B17 on my touring setup and just for the heck of it I flipped the Aliante over and set it on top of the B17. It's almost identical minus the rivets. Then I put them beside each other and the curve is almost the same as well. Anyhow I like them both.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
walter2007 said:
You're kidding right.
Not at all. With computer aided design and advanced manufacturing techniques a steel frame could be designed and engineered to have virtually the same performance and ride qualities as any CF frame, except for the weight. The only benefit CF brings to the rider is lower weight. It also may be less expensive to build and bring more profit to the bike companies.

·
9,790 Posts
A from Il said:
I am in real trouble. I have all steel bikes and they all have a Brooks saddle on them. :eek6:
My two Brooks are also on steel bikes. The Rawland, and my 1998 Marin roadie.

Hell.

3 Brooks. I keep forgetting about the vintage B72 on my cruiser.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Crithater said:
How can something be out of place if it comfortable and gets you out on the bike more or lets you ride longer.
Aesthetically, Mudflaps are out of place on a Lamborghini, a thong is out of place on grandma's ass, and a Brooks B-17 is out of place on a carbon fiber racing bike.

Crithater said:
I would love to see Armstrong or the Schlecks ride a Brooks saddle on a stage of the ToF just to watch the copycats.
Yea, like they're going to put a 560 g Brook B-17 on their bikes and race up the col du Tormulet. Not even for $5 million each.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.