Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been think about getting a brooks b17 (and trimming it a little to make it look a little less retro). Should I stick with my average joe seat or is it worth the money? Also is anyone running one of these on a real world late model bike? I just got an '05 Schwinn Fastback Comp...just wondering how out of place this Brooks would look and if it's worth the investment. Thanks to all in advance. Pics welcome.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no...

...I just read a lot on the internet about the brooks saddles and how wonderful they are supposed to be and was curious to the opinions of the fello cyclists in the forums.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I have a new B-17 narrow if you want it. It was not a good fit for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got a Brooks Swift last fall and have been getting used to it on the rollers this winter. Took it out on the road for the first time last week and loved it. I have it on my fixed gear/SS Derosa Neo Primato and it looks good. I'm seriously thinking about getting another one for my geared bike. I have experimented switching back and forth between the Brooks and the Fizik Aliante on my geared bike and really think that the Brooks has less pressure on my perenium and less friction. The small sacrifice in weight may be worth it. I haven't done a century on it yet but the first two 25 and 30 mile rides of the season were great.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Only saddle I'm using these days, but...

I'm always surprised when people worry about how something on a bike will LOOK, especially something as important and non-visible as a saddle. When you're on the bike, nobody can see it, and when you're off, you can pretend it isn't yours....
All that aside, though, I have B-17s on three bikes (everything but the beater, which goes out in the rain and snow a lot), and I don't plan ever to use anything else. The break-in difficulty has been exaggerated, in my experience, and I can ride three or four hours without even thinking about my @ss, which is twice what I could do on any previous saddle. Maintenance isn't a big deal: Protect it from water (I keep a plastic bag in the seat bag in case of rain) and give it a wipe with Proofhide or Obenauf's once or twice a year, no more.
I'd think twice about a B-17 Narrow, though. The attraction of the saddle, at least for my enormous butt, is that it's wide enough (170mm) to support my sit bones. I think the Narrow is about 140, which is too axe-like for me.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
The old gang

I like these Brooks threads... It's always good to see the ol' Brooks Club get together.

For sizing, I think Cory is right-on for big guys. I'm medium-sized (5'11, 165#), though, and have had good success with the Swift, the Pro (or Team Pro), and B17N. I think the Swift is best, but it's spendy. The Pro was the only one that took a bit of break-in - maybe 50 miles. My first ride with the Swift was a 300km brevet, and it was great from the start.

Alot of saddles work fine for me for rides up to about 100 miles. The Brooks saddles really shine on rides over 100 miles, like brevets of 200k, 300k, 400k, or 600k.

In all cases, tilt angle of the saddle is KEY. Set the tilt angle a little bit off and the comfort plummets. In addition to an annual smear of goo, keep the saddle from getting soaked, either from road spray or just sitting in the rain. I have fenders on most bikes (spray protection) and a plastic bag tucked between the rails for covering the saddle when I park the bike in the rain.

Wallbikes has a 6-month fit guarantee on their Brooks saddles, in case you are wondering about which one to get.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ah, yes, sit bones

Cory said:
I'd think twice about a B-17 Narrow, though. The attraction of the saddle, at least for my enormous butt, is that it's wide enough (170mm) to support my sit bones. I think the Narrow is about 140, which is too axe-like for me.
I, too, have been in the hunt for a Brooks. The question that I have is: What is the best way to measure the distance covered by one's sit bones? I have set out a plush towel on the floor and found that provides a decent measurable set of impresssions but I am curious if anyone has a better method.

My ulterior motive, of course, is to see if I can rationalize spending the money on a Swift (152 wide) or do I need to go to a Team Pro (160) which is less expensive.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
stewardmike03 said:
Been think about getting a brooks b17 (and trimming it a little to make it look a little less retro). Should I stick with my average joe seat or is it worth the money? Also is anyone running one of these on a real world late model bike? I just got an '05 Schwinn Fastback Comp...just wondering how out of place this Brooks would look and if it's worth the investment. Thanks to all in advance. Pics welcome.
The best Brooks saddle ever is the Fizik Arionne. Oh, wait, nevermind.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Find a piece of cardboard.......

clank said:
I, too, have been in the hunt for a Brooks. The question that I have is: What is the best way to measure the distance covered by ones sit bones? I have set out a plush towel on the floor and found that provides a decent measurable set of impressions but I am curious if anyone has a better method.

My ulterior motive, of course, is to see if I can rationalize spending the money on a Swift (152 wide) or do I need to go to a Team Pro (160) which is less expensive.
that has 2 layers with the "wiggly" layer in the middle.

Sit down on it, and have your wife push down on your shoulders.

You should have made an indent with your sit bones.

Measure the distance from C to C.

Or

Find a specialized dealer and ask him to measure you.

Re Brooks:

I figure you only have 3 contact points on a bike....I don't skimp on these. I went on a quest for the "disappearing" seat a couple of years ago, after going thru at least one seat a year for several years. Anyway, I tried everything....and ended up buying a Brooks Swallw....pricy, yes, beautiful, yes, fits my Butt like a glove.....absolutly. I now have them on 4 bikes.

The initial price was high, but I haven'tthought about buying a saddle for 2 years & don't expect to. BTW, The B17N and Swallew are similaly shaped & relativly flat on top. The Swift was too "Non-Flat" on top for my anatomy.

Tell me this don't look good!

Len

·
Registered
10 Posts
alienator said:
The best Brooks saddle ever is the Fizik Arionne. Oh, wait, nevermind.

I have a brooks b17 with ti rails on a trek madone. I have tried all kinds of saddles, fizik arione included. I will never go back to anything but the brooks. I was numb after 20 miles with the fizik..selle italial flite, selle italia slr, terry fly, terry liberator, the list goes on. glad i had a bike shop that let me try different ones. Then i bought the b17 champion ti. I rode it 94 miles the first time. the break-in thing wasnt neccesary for me - no butt pain and no numbness for 94 hard miles. Who cares how it "looks" ......... All of those "race" saddles may in fact BE comfortable for somebody who's butt isnt as wide as mine - i'm 5'11 and 185 lbs. I think someone put something about wallingford bicycle's site - go with that, they are for real with the refund policy. I ordered the steel rail one by mistake and then the ti one and had my refund in like three days. Who cares about the weight? I think that gram counting is.........kind of over the top. unless you are getting paid thousands of dollars to race bicycles for a living - 100 gram difference in a saddle is worth having exactly zero pain :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Go on some brevets or other long distance rides, and you will see lots of "high-tech" bikes with Brooks saddles. If it's comfortable, it doesn't matter if it matches or not.

G

·
I am going to be in San Diego next week on vacation and will have some time on my hands I expect.

Are there any shops in the SD area that I could expect to find a Ti Swift in??

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
cstx said:
I have a brooks b17 with ti rails on a trek madone. I have tried all kinds of saddles, fizik arione included. I will never go back to anything but the brooks. I was numb after 20 miles with the fizik..selle italial flite, selle italia slr, terry fly, terry liberator, the list goes on. glad i had a bike shop that let me try different ones. Then i bought the b17 champion ti. I rode it 94 miles the first time. the break-in thing wasnt neccesary for me - no butt pain and no numbness for 94 hard miles. Who cares how it "looks" ......... All of those "race" saddles may in fact BE comfortable for somebody who's butt isnt as wide as mine - i'm 5'11 and 185 lbs. I think someone put something about wallingford bicycle's site - go with that, they are for real with the refund policy. I ordered the steel rail one by mistake and then the ti one and had my refund in like three days. Who cares about the weight? I think that gram counting is.........kind of over the top. unless you are getting paid thousands of dollars to race bicycles for a living - 100 gram difference in a saddle is worth having exactly zero pain :)
Wow. You read a lot more into my post than was there. Ease up, Francis. I'm 6' 1/2", 175-178lbs, and my tush is uber happy on the Arione for 100+ miles. FWIW, if you actually looked at specs, you'd find the Arione isn't a weight weenie saddle.

Jeez. This Brooks religion is about as tolerant as the Steel is Real cult.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Brooks Saddle

Here is a pic of my bike with a Brooks B-17 narrow. I didn't bother trimming it. I kinda like the contrast of the swoopy carbon and the retro Brooks. The Brooks was very comfortable right out of the box. You can tell that this is a saddle that will last decades. Don't worry about the weight. It is NOT an issue in terms of real world performance.

Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all the replies,

I DID in fact buy the narrow from Nute. All I can say is...PERFECT!!! I have never, ever, EVER found so much comfort in something that seemingly looks like a torture device!!!! My GOD how do they do that???? I did trim it only because I read that they get even more comfy once trimmed...it's true. I rode it first and it was great, came home and trimmed it and went back out. DAMNNNNNNN!!! It got BETTER!!!! Just an FYI though. My garage smelled like a slaughterhouse for hours!!!! The leather gives off the most hideous smell when a 6 1/2" grinder with a cut off wheel is zipping through it. It is something I won't soon forget!!!! I will post pics tomorrow!!!! Thank you Nute!!!!! For those who have not tried them they are worth every penny paid!!! The narrow fit me perfectly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's done it! I have to try one of the Brooks saddles. Have been using a Fizik Aliante carbon, however after exactly 70 mins on the road my butt starts to go numb. Tried the Arione and found that worse than the Aliante. I'd have to import the Brookes saddle as I live in New Zealand and haven't seen any in a bike shop around here.

Checked out my butt size at a Specialized dealer and it's a med/large.
I'm 6' and 190lbs. Lots of hills in my area so would like to keep the weight reasonable. I'd prefer taitanium rails and black leather. Which Brooks model would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm no Brooks expert

But I'm a thin 170# and 6'. I'd GUESS and say the B17 or an equivelent width assuming your butt is just a little wider than my own. If you're a narrow waisted 190 (built like a tank) then the narrow may work. Good luck, Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Brooks rider for 10+ years

sako said:
That's done it! I have to try one of the Brooks saddles. Have been using a Fizik Aliante carbon, however after exactly 70 mins on the road my butt starts to go numb. Tried the Arione and found that worse than the Aliante. I'd have to import the Brookes saddle as I live in New Zealand and haven't seen any in a bike shop around here.

Checked out my butt size at a Specialized dealer and it's a med/large.
I'm 6' and 190lbs. Lots of hills in my area so would like to keep the weight reasonable. I'd prefer taitanium rails and black leather. Which Brooks model would you guys recommend?
I have been using them forever, in fact the Professional that is on my Merlin XL is 11 years old - there is nothing like it. Before I knew better I took it off for stuff like Mt. Washington road race (150 gr more...). Multiple top 20 finishes, my 4 fastest times all with Brooks saddles. I go on 160 mile rides, I never ever even think about the saddle or my bum. It just works.

Anyway, I am 5'11 and 140lbs, waist 30 inches. I ride a Brooks professional (a tad narrower than B17), and a regular B17 on my fixie. Just perfect the way it is. Remember it is leather, it will remember you, it will adapt to you.
At your size do not get a narrow. Get a regular B17 for 50$US first and ride it. It will be good. Then you can get fance if you want to and got Ti or alter it.

Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts