Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Good Friday off of work, planning to have a great Friday. About 20 minutes out on a 2 hour ride I flat. No big deal, I'm stopped taking off the rear wheel and Bubba stops and asks if I need any help. I hadn't been stopped for more than 30 seconds. I'm not trying to generalize but this guy would have fit every definition or description of a Bubba I've ever seen.

All I'm saying is give peace a chance, all Bubbas are not bad.

Rest of the ride went great, wind on the way back really blew in my face, but it was still better than work.

·
Registered
985 Posts
hogleg62 said:
Took Good Friday off of work, planning to have a great Friday. About 20 minutes out on a 2 hour ride I flat. No big deal, I'm stopped taking off the rear wheel and Bubba stops and asks if I need any help. I hadn't been stopped for more than 30 seconds. I'm not trying to generalize but this guy would have fit every definition or description of a Bubba I've ever seen.

Rest of the ride went great, wind on the way back really blew in my face, but it was still better than work.
Sorry, but what is Bubba?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bubba

is slang for, (trying to be pc), *******, big loud pick up drivin', gun rack, type guy or gal.

Feel free to let me know if I missed anything.:) The post was not meant at all to be mean spirited.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I would have to say that I have had fewer problems in rural areas versus suburban. The rural folk usually just wave back after I wave at them. As far as bubbas, when I was stationed in SC, I was the VP of the local cycling club. Part of my job was to put on the fall century. Because of a shortage of volunteers, I also sagged as well. It was cool that day and I wore some wrangler jeans, roper boots, and a Earnhardt shirt with matching cap. The first couple of people that I stopped to help were a little wary of me until they remembered me from the preride meeting. I guess driving a black 4X4 pickup with a Earnhardt seven time champion front license plate didn't help.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
One time a couple teamates and I were on a long ride in the California central valley. We were stuck in a semi-rural semi-industrial area around Stockton where there were too many people and not enough trees to just stop by the side of the road to pee. About when my back teeth were starting to float we spotted a run-down cafe that looked like it had a restroom. My teamates went first while I watched their bikes, then it was my turn. The restroom was around the lunch counter where a bunch of fat ******* guys were eating whatever fat ******* guys eat for lunch. I snuck behind them trying not to make too much noise with my cleats on the floor and got my desperately needed pee.

On the way back, one of the uglier fatter ******** stopped me. He had a striped shirt, bolo tie, and one of those giant rodeo belt buckles the size of a dinner plate.

"You ride a bicycle, boy?" he asked.

"Um, yea" I replied smartly.

"Well I used to race on the velodrome in San Jose. Won me some races there"

You could have knocked me over with a feather. I so didn't expect that. He went on about track racing for a bit, with me mumbling a reply every so often and trying not to stare at his ample belly. He really wanted to talk bike racing, but my teamates were waiting, so I had to make an excuse and bail.
I probably missed some great stories.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
907 Posts
I'd rather deal with Bubbas then the biatches in their Mercedes SUVs. I had a torn tire sidewall and had to walk the 2 miles back home in my socks. I was asked on three different occassions by Bubbas if I needed a ride home. (maybe because of my sweet tight lycra covered butt? Squeel biker boy!)

Then in Suburbia, the "cultural center of the world", I had a skewer (f'ing Bontrager Crap!) break, and I had to carry my bike 3 miles, the nice surbanites that stopped = zero.
I'm sorry but if I see someone clad in biker attire carrying a bike on their shoulder downhill, hmm I think I'd stop and help them.

Plus when you take into account that in Bubbaville I may be passed by a vehicle every 30 minutes, versus every 30 seconds outside the big city, that is a disproportianate amount of unhelpful people.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Was on a ride and got lost. Looking at a cue sheet, when this guy in a pickup stopped to see if I was ok.

Pit bull from house got loose and started running towards me. Guy in truck pulled out handgun to shoot dog-saying he hated pit bulls.

Dog owner came out of house (about 100' away) and quickly called dog back, apologizing profusely.

Bubba gave directions and I went on my way.

BTW, in the words of Jeff Foxworthy, I are one too........

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
One nice thing about North Dakota. The Bubbas in the big ole farm trucks give plenty of room. The farmers out plowing the feilds occasionally wave. Lots of roads with low traffic and long sight lines. And some of the Bubbas will even let you build a mountain bike trail right on their cattle ranch! I will take a ND Bubba over a TX Bubba any day.

Still doesn't make up for 6 months of winter.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
(maybe because of my sweet tight lycra covered butt? Squeel biker boy!)

LOL.........Man, thats funny

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
2 things bubbas always have-pickup trucks and tools. Although, a true bubba probably doesn't have many metric sizes in his tool box.......

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
filtersweep said:
Living in the US, the bane of my existence were drivers of German luxury cars... the antithesis of bubbas.

Yep sounds like my day yesterday. After sitting through 3 cycles of a redlight I nicely asked a guy chompin' on a big cigar in a jaguar to pull a little forward to hit the trip on the light. He was a carlength behind the line. He looked at me and said that he was close enough to trigger it and didn't need to move. The lady in front of him in her Audi had crept over the line past the trip. I asked her to back up to trip it. After yet another cycle, Mr cigar pulled forward. Miracle of miracles the light tripped and I pulled out to hear the nice lady in the Audi yell F'You. I just smiled, waved and yelled "have a nice day" with a big smile.

I have far more problems with folks in expensive cars and suv's in the nice subdivisions than I have from Bubba's in the country.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Bubba cops are OK too

Planning on a 50 miler on Thursday. Flatted (with a "bang") 2 miles from home. First off, a couple in a house next to where I stopped offered me a ride home. No thanks I said nicely. Then one of our local cops stopped and asked me if I needed a ride home. No thanks I said. Then a friend - my attorney - comes running by. Really running. He yelled from across the road pointing to his shoes "these never go flat". I flip him off. Damn attorneys.

This time last year, I cracked a rim about 20 miles from home. A cop saw me as he passed on the highway. He got off the highway, and offered me a ride home. Nice guy. Took me 20 miles home, out of his way, on his own time. I sent a note of gratitude to his Captain.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Having been living in TX for 15 yrs of my 21 yrs, I've come to realize that Bubbas can be quite helpful and friendly in most parts of this Lone Star state.

A bubba offered to help my friend air up his tire after a flat replacement. We were both surprised and most grateful for his help.

·
Island Hopping cyclist
430 Posts
FYI: Bubba is the mispronucation of "Brother" usually done by younger sisters when they are first starting to speak. In the same vain as MeMaw and PawPaw.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The bane of my cycling existence is Quebecois in logging trucks. Those guys go FAST and they don't give you much room.

·
Registered
590 Posts
there seems to be a difference between bubba's and d-bag teenage bubba-wannabe's.

bubba's are just simple folk who like to help, while the latter is an ignorant version, more commonly known as WT.

i'd take a bubba over most anyone any day.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
hogleg62 said:

Wait a cotten picken' second. Are you trying to say there are nice people living in the south?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.