Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just sold my Cannondale Jekyll due to friends only riding roadbikes.

The bikes I am willing to purchase are:
Pinarello FP2/Rival-$2600

BMC SL01/Rival-$1700

Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4/Rival-$2500

Cannondale Six Carbon 5/105-$2200

Cervélo S1/Rival-$2500

Ridley Compact/Rival-$1500

I am torn, as I would like to keep it under $2000, but want something somewhat light, yet with a cool paint job. The Ridley paint bores me, but would it be better to go with a CAAD because its all Aluminum? The BMC would be very unique, as would the Pinarello...I would rather not upgrade anything for a year as I learn what I like about the bike I purchase. I do want comfort. I used to adore Cannondale bikes, but am starting to think they are common like Specialized, which I feel is the Wallmart of good bikes. Thoughts? I am 6ft 3in, and am going to measure myself soon for frame size needed, but have been told a 58-60cm will be the starting point.

I also hear the SuperSix may be coming down in price for some models, namely the one shipping with Rival components.

I will be using the bike to commute the 15mi to and from work, but also to cruise with friends, and eventually try to make the half century and century near Santa Barbara CA.

EDIT: no decent shops around here to test ride these bikes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ghost234 said:
Cervelo S1. That bike is absolutely phenomenal. I haven't heard anyone complain about its quality to date.
That's what I read, but haven't found much about long-term comfort. Road buzz? The geo is more toward racing correct?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
All good bikes, but have you been fitted, your statement about going to measure yourself makes me think you haven't. Have you ridden any of the bikes?

Comparing Cannondale and Specialized to Walmart bikes is truly a misstatement, unless Walmart sells really good bikes (I don't shop there).

You have picked 6 great bikes, but get a proper fit from a bike shop, test ride all of them you are considering, read all the reviews on RBR, ask a few questions, determine if you want the aluminum frame or pay more for the carbon frame; narrow your choice, compare apples to apples by doing a side by side comparison of the componants, narrow the choice down to 2 or 3, test ride them again, see which one talks to you, then buy it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like I said, I can not test ride any of them, and no, I have not been fitted yet. I have test rode a Giant Defy Advanced in 58 and 60, but I am not interested in that brand.

I did not say Specialized was a Walmart bike, but just making the analogy that they seem to be sold everywhere in mass quantities. Cannondale is starting to seem like that as well, just another mass produced bike. I truly wish at the least they were made in the USA again at the very least. Unfortunately I am still a sucker for their designs and name.

I just really wish I could test ride some of these. I have called shops 2 hours away that sell some of the above brands in the OP, but none have any that big. Mostly in the low 50s :-(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, and do what? Start with what is sold locally? No thanks. I refuse to buy stuff I am not interested in. I am sure there are many people out there that do not have decent LBS's, that have bought something not sold locally. I know your advice is wise, its generally accepted in the car racing world that I am so very attached to, but I have never had a problem stepping outside of my Local (insert hobby/sport) Shop.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I picked up a lightly used '09 Synapse Carbon 3 (Ultegra / Dura Ace) for $1860, when it retailed the year before for $3200. The bike was in great shape, no issues. Since I don't race....my goals are athletic training and health....I'm sure my neck and back appreciate the relaxed geometry that the taller head tube provides. The all-carbon frame is smooth, comfortable, and fast enough.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
rezenclowd3 said:
Ok, and do what? Start with what is sold locally? No thanks. I refuse to buy stuff I am not interested in.
Depending on your location, that's probably not your only option. If you're willing to make a drive, there are probably more choices available to you. Considering how long you'll have the bike and for the kind of money you're looking to spend, IMO it's worth the effort.

Your alternative is to buy a bike that you've only see pics of, with no clue how it'll fit/ feel, ride or handle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very true. Just realized my post back to you seemed so very sarcastic. Was not meant to be. You are right, I might need to make a 2-3hr drive just to test something. At least CC has a no questions asked return policy, so I could try another...or 2..or 3 hehe. I just wish more shops had something in the large-very large category. I am a 6' 3" long legged, long armed monkey man...with wide shoulders. At least I am not too much overweight at 180 lbs.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Why not Scotts? They have nice bikes and aren't common, atleast around here. THose Addicts are light and really stiff. but out of the list I would get one of the Italian ones but then I would want Campys on it, so I would buy the Ridley and since you have another grand left over buy a few add ons.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
rezenclowd3 said:
Very true. Just realized my post back to you seemed so very sarcastic. Was not meant to be. You are right, I might need to make a 2-3hr drive just to test something. At least CC has a no questions asked return policy, so I could try another...or 2..or 3 hehe. I just wish more shops had something in the large-very large category. I am a 6' 3" long legged, long armed monkey man...with wide shoulders. At least I am not too much overweight at 180 lbs.
Based on my experiences, test rides are invaluable in helping us determine personal preferences and from there, narrow our choices.

If you do go the CC route, remember that you have to pay return shipping, so using that method to test ride bikes can get expensive fast. So I'd suggest first getting a fitting from an experienced fitter. After working with you, they'll be able to tell you the geo that would work best. At least that way you'll make an educated guess before ordering online. And that same fitter can then assist in tweaking fit on the new bike.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
just another option, i got my 2010 Look 566 Rival for $2400 flat. I was also eyeing the cannondale synapse carbon 4 for $2050 otd.

both very good bikes, but the look gets much more attention and i love it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Erion929 said:
I would think there would be many, many bike shops between Santa Barbara and L.A., no? :confused:

I'm actually in Solvang, 35mi from SB. There are a lot of shops from SB to LA yes, however I have spent quite a bit of time calling only to find out rarely does someone have something large, especially in something I like. I'll probably get fitted locally at the small Specialized shop as recommended.

Till then, ciao. Then I can provide more info on what geo I will need.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
rezenclowd3 said:
I'm actually in Solvang, 35mi from SB. There are a lot of shops from SB to LA yes, however I have spent quite a bit of time calling only to find out rarely does someone have something large, especially in something I like. I'll probably get fitted locally at the small Specialized shop as recommended.

Till then, ciao. Then I can provide more info on what geo I will need.
Just a thought... bring the geo charts of any bikes of interest with you to the fitting. They may help the fitter decide which test bike(s) to use. At the very least, they'll serve as a guide.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup, good idea. I did do that at the Giant dealer, and they blew me off since I wasn't going to be buying from them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you tried Action Sports in Bakersfield? They are only a couple hours away and carry a few of the brands you listed. (661) 833-4000 ask for Kerry, he is the owner or Sam he is the manager. Both are great guys to deal with!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts