Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently into mountain biking and have been wanting to get a road bike for a little while. I am trying to figure put what a good budget amount is for a good entry level bike and what to look at. I would want a bike that could last me a while and just is a good bike. I know I do not want top of the line but just a good entry level.

I am complete lost when it comes to road bikes and understanding what is good budget to run with or what componate levels are. I understand mountain bike componates but they are very different from the road lines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
750-1k is hard to miss with most manufacturers. I originally was thinking around 1k when I got mine this year, but went up to 1900 for full carbon lol.. Don't regret it one sec... I figure i'd ride it more if I had full carbon bike, and one i spent some change on.

To be fair, my mtn bike never fit me, it's at least 2 sizes too big, so I needed a "main ride".

·
All Show No Go!!
81 Posts
I was in the same situation as you 2 months ago. And I ended up buying a Look 555. I have no regret buying this bike. This is my first official road bike btw.

Before I bought this bike, I used my father's Giant TCR for at least 2 100KM rides and see how it feels. Then I searched and read a lot of reviews about bicycles, which made me decide to get the Look 555.

I was a little hesitant at first because of the price but I was glad that I bought this bike in the end.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would look at the first bike in anyone's line who didn't have sora components.... I cant stand those shifters. So that puts you in that $800-1k range. Just remember that in comparison to MTBs road bikes last forever.

I highly recommend buying as much bike as you can afford b/c this road biking thing is super addictive. Every time i get on my road bike i cant help but think it is like bombing down a steep fire road.... even on the flats

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
spyro said:
I would look at the first bike in anyone's line who didn't have sora components.... I cant stand those shifters. So that puts you in that $800-1k range. Just remember that in comparison to MTBs road bikes last forever.

I highly recommend buying as much bike as you can afford b/c this road biking thing is super addictive.
Every time i get on my road bike i cant help but think it is like bombing down a steep fire road.... even on the flats

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. You'll always want the next best bike. But buy what you can afford to get yourself on the road. It was also good advice to try and avoid Sora, if you are more serious about riding. Tiagra is good but 105 is a better package if you can find it (which if you plan on doing some higher mileage, you'll want)

3 years ago, I spent $800 on a bike which came with a Tiagra/105 group. It is a great bike for the money. Since then I've added a new wheel set which was a huge improvement. I've put 4000 miles on the bike so far. I screwed up my back so I was off it for more than a month. In a few years I plan on buying a "dream bike" that I can afford (around $2K)

my 2 cents

·
Registered
239 Posts
budgeting

Make sure you include something in your budget for the most important aspect of the bike - a good bike fit. I guarantee you'll be faster, and ride more, on a comfortable, properly fitted $800 bike than an improperly fitted $4000 bike. Unfortunately, many shops are happy to sell even those $4K bikes and fit them poorly (I see them all the time).

Cheers,

·
Registered
638 Posts
In a recent magazine shootout the Scott Speedster series was given outstanding ratings for the sub $1000 shootout. They have 3 models under 1100bucks so Id check it out. Also as someone had mentioned anything with a 105 group is fantastic for a first bike. They may leave things to be desired but the important part is that they have nothing wrong with them. They shift fine and are light enough for a first bike. I used 105 on my old bike and have full ultegra on my new one. the cranks and brake calipers are the only things that are a substantial difference but its not like my 105's ever let me down. Also check out Fuji bikes, you can find them at performance bike and with the membership card you get 10% back in points for your other gear. Fujis arent the best thing around but the components you get for the money are really hard to beat. Trek, Giant, and Specialized seem to not offter the best value in bikes when youre spending under $1500 or so. Alot of people tend to go for the best frame for the cash thinking that theyll just upgrade components later but in all honesty with ebay these days its probably cheaper to get the right components now and then grab a new frame when youre ready. Ive seen some great frames lightly used on there for about $500. Thats less than a pretty complete 105 group goes for by its self and thats not counting the wheels that would come on a lower end bike. In fact I had gotten a Massi Gran Criterium frame on ebay for $350 and thats Scandium with Carbon seatstays.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you are getting just getting into biking, why not consider something used. I found a great deal on a $5,000+ bike for just about the high end of your budget. Granted, I did get a smoking deal, but finding a used bike for 1/3 the orginal cost is not unusual.

·
Registered
518 Posts
timeless said:
I am currently into mountain biking and have been wanting to get a road bike for a little while.
I think you should consider what you're going to do with the bike. Do you see yourself becoming a serious roadie, going on fast group rides, long charity rides, or even racing? If there's any chance of this, you should look at a nice Ultegra level bike with a good set of aero wheels, which would run you about two grand. You'll probably be riding with people who are faster than you, at least in the beginning, and you'll need every advantage you can get. And think about the frame material. Do you want comfort or speed? Can you afford carbon? If so get it, because it will give you both. And fit is important, as has been said. A dealer should give you a discount on fit if you buy an expensive bike.

You'll probably find that you ride the road bike more, and the mtn bike less, than you expect, because road bikes are fun, require less maintenance than mtn bikes, and you can probably ride right out your door. It's just so damned easy to jump on the road bike and go.

Maybe you can get a LeMond on closeout. They're nice bikes, although I'd steer clear of the cheaper aluminum models. The point is give it some thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently got my first road bike, i hadn't ridden a bike of any kind in about 6 years. I did alot of research and went to a couple local bike shops. two main things: 1)Fit is the most important thing and 2) Fit is the most important thing. I got a 2007 Fuji Roubaix with 105 components barely used off craigslist for $600. I lucked out though b/c it was the perfect size for me. I made sure of this by being honest and telling my LBS what I had found. They were super nice and made sure that it would fit to me by fitting me to the same bike which they happend to have in the store (for $800). I in turn gave them my business for a proper fitting (once i got the CL bike), new pedels, and all the beggining gear I needed. I am so happy with my bike it is a bit heavier then my friends but I paid much less than they did and can keep up with them just fine. I got this bike b/c I am doing my first triathlon in a couple months. After riding it I can tell I will be using it alot even after the tri. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
93 Posts
+1 for the used bike

.50 on the dollar max. save a few dollars in your budget to get the perfect fit ie stem replacement. There are so many "like new" bikes on the market it will not take long to find one that will work for you. For 750.00 you should be able to find an ultegra bike.
Most important as mentioned earlier figure out what kind of riding you want to do. I cannot say enough about the review section here. You will be able to find a review for bikes that are a year or two old.

·
Registered
838 Posts
These kinds of questions have no real answer. You might as well ask what you should budget for a new house, or a new car. There's a reason why so many different products exist -- it's because there are so many different buyers with different needs and wants and money.

I tend to think these kinds of decisions reflect your general philosophy about buying things. Are you generally a top-of-the-line you-get-what-you-pay-for consumer? Do you have fickle interests or do you stick with things? Do you just love things that are the best and willing to pay for it, or do you enjoy getting the most bang for the buck?

Many people seem to end up with two bikes. So if you have none now, you might want to buy an entry-level bike and then later buy a better bike. By then, you'll know what to do without asking. And "then" mght be two months later, two years later, or never.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm no expert but I can tell you what I just spent on one. I started cycling to try and loose some weight. All I had was an old no suspension solid steel (and lead I think) mtb. After hearing and reading everyone say get a Road Bike it will make your life better I decided to take the plunge.

I didn't have the budget for a 500+ road bike so I just hung around the LBS in town and put out feelers for a used bike. I finally found a Raleigh R500 in good shape for $270. It came with a computer, look pedals and a pair of shoes with cleats that fit me. Maybe not the best deal in the world but a great one compared to others I had found.

Another thing to consider are the extras you will want if you don't have them from mtb stuff already. In my case I wanted to buy a good floor pump for the 105 psi tires, a CO2 tire filler, C02 cartridges, extra tube, tire levers, patch kit extra water bottle and cage, and a good pair of biking shorts or two. All that can add up in a hurry so don't forget to budget for those types of things you will want to get eventually.

And down the road I"m looking at possibly a new saddle, helmet and a good bike fitting session from the LBS. The fitting usually comes with new bikes if you go that route though.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I bought a trek 1600 for 1K. 105 and up components. I did not want to buy a bike I would regret because I did not understand the huge difference a few hundred can make. Sora just sucks... Do your self a favor and test ride a few bikes to see how the components shift!!!!

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sfsailor said:
.50 on the dollar max. save a few dollars in your budget to get the perfect fit ie stem replacement. There are so many "like new" bikes on the market it will not take long to find one that will work for you. For 750.00 you should be able to find an ultegra bike.
Most important as mentioned earlier figure out what kind of riding you want to do. I cannot say enough about the review section here. You will be able to find a review for bikes that are a year or two old.
what do you mean type of riding I want to do... I am complete lost on that part.

I like the advice I am getting. Now what are some good brands to look at for bikes.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Types of riding. Hilly or flat? Smooth or rough pavement? Any dirt or gravel? Shoulders or no shoulders? 10 or 100 miles per ride? Two days a week or seven days a week? Touring? Commuting? 12 MPH or 25 MPH? Solo or in a group? Carrying stuff or not? Racing or not? Snow or rain or dry? For fitness or fun or ??? In town or in the country? Daytime or nighttime? Summer or winter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think that what bike brand or materials/ components answer each of these detailed situations is exactly what he's looking for in a response. As a newbie, I'd like to see that laid out myself although I already have a ride and have started to do 20+ mile rides.

I went the Craigslist route and got a like new 2005 Raleigh Supercourse for $400.00. It is 55cm I am 5' 81/2" tall. So far I seem to have lucked out on fit as I have noticed nothing uncomfortable although I've only had it 2 weeks and have only done 3 rides so far!

What they said about the goodies being a money black hole you should take to heart. I will list what I've wound up buying so far and I'm afraid I think they're all essential items:
Forte road shoes on sale- $49.99+tx
SPD clip things for the shoes- 19.99+tx
3 pairs of "cushy stretchy pants"century brand on sale- $22.99 each+tx
padded gloves- $14.00+tx
used jersey-$10.00
Bike pump with presta fitting-$24.99+tx
Bike helmet on sale-$19.99+tx
cateye computer/used mity8-$20.00

ouch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
And the starter stuff I have listed here was all pretty much on sale or used. I could have easily spent three times that on rack price or even a little higher end! This week I need inner tubes and I would like another jersey. Performance has a sale on them for $19.99 right now I think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.