Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a few races and seeing what can happen I have decided to build up a budget race bike to save wear and tear on my IF Ti Crown Jewel. I'm sure that my IF can take anything I can throw at it but why risk it, that bike just cost way too much money.

Anyway, I have received some of the first parts of my new "budget" race bike build. I decided to with with a Blue Competition Cycles RC5-AL frame. I ordered the frameset but I also ordered a full carbon fork to go with it.

Here are most of the parts that I have so far.

Blue Competition Frame RC-5AL, size ML. Weight - 1322 grams (w/o seatpost clamp) It is being checked out by my inspector.

Original fork that came with the frame, carbon w/ steel steerer. Weight - 572 grams

Aerus full carbon fork that I bought seperate. Weight - 382 grams. (much lighter than the original)

Aerus aluminum stem. It is a 110 mm. Weight - 131 grams. (lighter than their carbon stem)

Aerus carbon seatpost. Weight - 174 grams.

Aerus carbon handlebar. 44 cm Weight - 258 grams.

FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue Crankset. ISIS 172.5 mm - 585 grams.

American Classic ISIS bb - 143 grams.

That's pretty much all I have so far. The rest of the pieces of the puzzle should be in sometime next week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same ...

I don't want to risk my Merlin. So what kinda budget does one need for such a bike as you are building?
BTW, the bike looks great.
Pokin' Joe

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it ended up not being quite as "budget" as I intended. The frame is around $600 - $700. The fork upgrade is another $200. Then I spent close to $1,000 on the build kit (campy centaur, carbon aerus goodies). The wheels are another $1,000. I guess the total retail for the bike the way I have built it up is probaby around $3,000. Not exactly the budget build that I had intended. Still less than half as much as my IF though.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
nice project. dump the wheels (replace with sub $400 dollar set) and the fork ($200) and you got yourself.......well still a pretty darn $$ but totally race worthy setup. agreed. no reason to risk the IF.

·
Hill repeats, meh
145 Posts
I did the same thing. I crashed in a crit last year with my Crown Jewel (fortunately my body bore the brunt of the fall). I kind of freaked out and decided I didn't want risk my CJ in crits anymore, so I built up a Fuji Team SL as the crit machine and I'll ride the CJ in road races.

MK

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been lucky so far. I've crashed my IF twice (once due to a dog, once due to two riders in front of me crashing). So far the frame is perfect, I've been lucky.

Here is a picture of the Blue all finished up. I raced it yesterday and absolutely loved it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I've waited long enough, time for a review.

I have to admit I was a little hesitant to purchase such a low dollar frame. However, I was just wanting something on the cheap side to race and to give my IF a break. I had talked to a couple of people that rode the Blue's and they seemed to really like them, I was still hesitant though.

Anyway, I received the frameset, carbon fork, carbon seatpost, carbon bar and aluminum stem last Tuesday or Wednesday. I received the rest of my build kit on Friday and built it up Friday night. I took it for an easy ride on Saturday to just kind of test everything out. I raced it on Sunday.

First off, I could not believe how nice this frame looked. It is absolutely beautiful! The quality is top notch and I really like the clover shaped top and down tubes. However, as we all know looks aren't everything. I took it for an easy ride on Saturday and got everything adjusted. I didn't really test it too much since I had a race the following day.

Sunday I took it to it's first race. The race started off at a decent pace. The bike felt perfect. The race was on a tar & chip country road but it didn't feel bad at all. The carbon fork, bar and seat stays were doing their job. The bike just felt solid. It soaked up the vibrations very well. Now it was time to head up hill, lets see what this bike would do. I started towards the back but by the time we were at the top of the 3/4 mile 12% I was third out of 48 riders. Not too bad. The bike didn't see to have any noticable flex, perfect! Now it was time to pick up the pace and see what would happen on the flat section. The bike responded perfectly, it felt like I had been riding this bike for years. Now time for a couple of high speed downhill turns. Once again the bike just felt natural, perfect! It cornered as well as any bike I have ever ridden and coming out of the turns and standing up and hammering it just took off. My first race on the bike I took second out of a field of 48, not too shabby.

I don't know what else to say. I never thought that I would be impressed with a $600 frameset. I was wrong. I would put this frame up against any aluminum w/ carbon seat stays frame out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts