Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my friends is in the market for a quality steel or Ti frame (or complete bike, if the parts package is decent). He asked me what he should be looking for, and I'm really not sure.

I get the impression that he doesn't want to spend more than $2,000 on the whole bike. I suggested full Ultegra, Ritchey bar, stem, and seatpost (reasonable, and I like their stuff), Neuvation M28 Aeros (inexpensive, durable, and I've had good luck with them). Does anyone have any ideas for the frame and fork? I suggested an Alpha Q CS-10 because of the steel steerer tube. I have one and really like, plus I got it for $179, which seems like a really good deal. I love how stiff that fork is, and it isn't overly heavy. While I'm on that train of thought, he's a bigger guy (weighs 195) and is NOT a smooth rider, but he's learning.

The weight of the frame doesn't matter as much, either. He's just looking for great road feel and likes how steel typically rides, as well as Ti. I realize that it might be easier to find a budget steel frame, but looking around, I haven't found any to speak of. It's easy to find expensive steel and Ti though.

Anyway, I appreciate any feedback anyone can offer. Please include links if you can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
Right now on Ebay, Ti is relatively cheap compared to new and a great deal can be had with some patience. I think to stay within the 2k price range for the whole bike, you're friend will either have to go new or used steel (assuming 853 or OX Plat or similar) or used ti. I have a feeling the Ti might actually be a bit easier to find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
krisdrum said:
Right now on Ebay, Ti is relatively cheap compared to new and a great deal can be had with some patience. I think to stay within the 2k price range for the whole bike, you're friend will either have to go new or used steel (assuming 853 or OX Plat or similar) or used ti. I have a feeling the Ti might actually be a bit easier to find.

Hmm. That's interesting. I wonder why the used market for titanium isn't doing as well as the other materials.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
rook said:
Hmm. That's interesting. I wonder why the used market for titanium isn't doing as well as the other materials.
It is a relatively out of favor material right now. CF is the tech choice, Steel is the hipster/retro choice, Alu tends to be the cheap choice, leaving Ti out there to flap in the wind a bit. At least that is my impression.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
Last years models

I've picked up a couple of nice carbon bikes that were last years models. I picked up a Felt
F3 with Dura Ace and Ultegra and a Look 555 with Ultegra for $2200. Look 555's with 105 were going for $1999. Check it out!
 

·
Juanmoretime
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
I agree with the Lynskey for titanium. If I was going steel I kind of like the looks of the Gunners. You friend may have to stretch his budget a bit.

Remember, friends don't let friends ride junk!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Bob Ross said:
A brand new Soma frame/fork. Next question?
The Soma are a good deal. Just check out the geometry to make sure it's to your friend's liking and needs. It's hard to beat their price and practical design.

More expensive than Soma, but still less than custom, is Salsa.
They have the nice OX steel Pistola model for $1000 to the more affordable $600 Casseroll (beware of oldschool diag/horz dropouts though).

Browse through the inventory at GVH Bikes. They have some nice NOS older models like the Pinarello Opera for $1300 and even a Moser for $800. Sizes are always limited because their are clearance frames.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,359 Posts
Gunner, Soma, Retrotec (really neat styled Steel) and Salsa for reasonably priced Steel. Have a Look at Kona too, they make a nice lugged steel bike, may offer a frame too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
danl1 said:
May need to talk up the price or get creative sourcing the build, but this is something to look at:

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/a/pages/2009-products/road-bikes---lynskey-performance/titanium-road-bikes-road-houseblend-cooper.php

Whoa! $1200 for a titanium USA made frame?! What a deal! I guess you guys were right. Titanium is going down in price. Maybe, carbon fiber is eating into the titanium frame industry. It would be nice to see more titanium becoming affordable. I'm not too big a carbon fiber fan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,359 Posts
rook said:
Maybe, carbon fiber is eating into the titanium frame industry. It would be nice to see more titanium becoming affordable. I'm not too big a carbon fiber fan.
That's a big understatement. Ti has been a dying frame material since the late 90's. Ti has always been a very expensive raw material so the lower cost imports never really materialized like they did with Aluminum, Steel and Carbon, all of which can be sourced overseas with very high quality. Sad too, good Ti rides REALLY well. Lynskey is one of the small handful of Ti outfits that can be trusted with the material. There's good Ti (like Lynskey and Litespeed) but there's also really bad Ti out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
holy cromoly said:
.

More expensive than Soma, but still less than custom, is Salsa.
They have the nice OX steel Pistola model for $1000 to the more affordable $600 Casseroll (beware of oldschool diag/horz dropouts though).
Why "beware" of horizontal drops? That seems like a bonus in my opinion. What are your concerns with them, maybe I am missing something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
lancezneighbor said:
Why "beware" of horizontal drops? That seems like a bonus in my opinion. What are your concerns with them, maybe I am missing something.
The Casserole has had reports of issues with slipping QRs in the rear dropouts.
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
krisdrum said:
The Casserole has had reports of issues with slipping QRs in the rear dropouts.
That's a QR problem, not a dropout problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with old school horizontal dropouts. The only problem is they're not fashionable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
That's a QR problem, not a dropout problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with old school horizontal dropouts. The only problem is they're not fashionable.
Agreed. Just relaying what I am assuming the other poster was referring to.
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
krisdrum said:
The Casserole has had reports of issues with slipping QRs in the rear dropouts.


a few isolated reports... like one or 2 here, among the many of us that have one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I showed him the Lynskey Cooper and his budget parameters were destroyed. He bought one today. As it turns out, he truly wanted Ti, but he didn't think anything was available for that little money. I really appreciate everyone's input.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top