Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put together a dedicated TT bike but want to keep it on the cheap.

I've looked around on the used market and can't seem to find anything that would work for me (usually either too expensive or too small)

What I was thinking is an Scattante XRL Comp frame - I do not know much about these but people seem to love them. While it is not a TT frame, it sure is cheap, at $200 including headset and fork. At 6'2, I was thinking of a size large (57cm). My road bikes are 58cm. I think medium (54cm) would be much too small?

There are the Leader TT frames, but I really do not know much about them.

I was able to pack the frame with all Ultegra (crank, front d, rear d, calipers), except DA bar-end shifters and BB. Cane creek TT brake levers, T2+ wing bar+aero bars, Thomson stem and seatpost, chain and cables, and $100 pedals for a whopping $1270.36 shipped.

All in all it is essentially a smaller road bike with TT bars, shifters, shorter stem and 0 offset post. But I think that will go a long way... I was pretty surprised at how far one could go with $1270...

I am open to suggestions, other possibilities, etc. I almost bought this interesting Serotta Sierra Nevada team bike on Ebay but the sizing is just not right. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&&item=290245468956

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ultegra is going to cost you alot more than components should for a budget TT bike. Try finding some older FSA cranks on the 'bay, I've seen them going for very cheap. Ultegra calipers, though they are nice it is a speed bike so buy some cheap Cane Creek calipers and save some dough. Also, I think you non-TT route is fine but I would stress your purchasing towards really nice aero bars, they are going to make the biggest difference. I use the oval concepts A701 Laminar and really really like them. Buy nice aero bars, a frame that fits and a TT helmet then look for deals on the rest of the stuff.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Check out Leader frames and fork on the internet. You could build it with 9-speed DA stuff and 10-speed levers and come out pretty cheap. Ask around at a club or race team ride. Lots of riders have old AL tt frames that work just fine. I picked up a Felt Al frame and carbon fork for $300. With 9-speed parts I had, a new SP, Ultegra cassette, and DA bar-end shifters, my total was less than $600.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up ordering all parts and a road frame. I don't know why but I really wanted to give this Scattante XRL comp (all alum) frame a try. People seem to love them.

I got the Scattante XRL frame, Came with chain and cables.. Thomson post and stem, Forte carbon "Keo" pedals, all Ultegra (calipers, cranks, derailleurs, BB,cassette) Profile T2+ base bar and aero bars, and DA bar end shifters, very cheap cane creek TT200 levers. $1140 shipped overnight. I'm trying to get this bike together in a week or so. I have never put together a bike so hopefully I can get it assembled this week and dialed in next week.

My only real concern is the BB and I might need special tools for that I am realizing after the fact.

I figure if this sucks as a TT bike, with road bars and shifters it will make a very nice backup bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.