Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my gramma and I were leaving the grocery store, and I said "here, you get in the car and I'll put the buggy up." Then I busted out laughing, 'cause when I'm not at home I usually say cart or basket, or whatever happens to be the case. But it was natural to say buggy with her. Then we got to talkin' about how common it is around here to call it a buggy, and what the first "buggies" were. She said a buggy was kind of like a wagon (I'm thinking a red flyer at this point), except that buggies were to haul people and wagons were to haul goods. Kind of like the difference between a truck and a car - you can put people in the back of the truck, but that's not what it's made for. She said that it was classier to ride around in a horse and buggy than it was to ride around in a horse and wagon. Quite frankly, I had never given it much thought before.

But the more we talked about buggies, the more I got the giggles about how silly the word "buggy" sounds. And then I wondered if other words were that silly, and they are! Most words, if you think about 'em long enough, sound really funny.

Take the word fork, for instance. Now say it 20 times. Weird, huh?

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
In the summertime,

around here, it gets really buggy out after the sun goes down.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
"put down the bong and step away from the keyboard."

shortbread
tongue
lilly
avocado
chifforobe
sneakers
asphault
token
tupee
Cooper

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
c'mon y'all, let's get buggy wid it! :D

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...but I never said she was wrong. :confused:

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Doesn't even have to be summertime around here. It's already buggy outside when it's dark. In the summertime they just start feeding in the day.

·
Registered
212 Posts
suppose I should contribute too instead of just taking cheap shots at paint.

2 words that never fail to crack me up:

muppet (pathetic because I am one)
panties my evil sisters used to torture me by tickling me until i'd say it, which made me laugh even harder. having three older sisters really, really really sucks.

free your mind, and your underpants will follow

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
Goggles might be the silliest word ever. Especially considering it doesn't sound anything like what it looks like.

I use "buggy" as much as possible. Any kind of vehicle with 4 wheels is a buggy to me, because it's so damn funny. My car is the work buggy because it's what we always take to the hardare store.

And grandmas rule. Enjoy yours. I haven't had one in 20 years. Only ever had one to begin with.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
An old vaudeville rule of thumb.

Words are funnier that have a "P" and "K".

Pumperknickle.
Pickle
Pooky
Prick
Pumpkin

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
My momma always says...

Why don't you flitter and fall back in it?

That always struck me as pretty funny. I've never heard anyone else say it.
We say buggy around here, too. :D

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's a book called Why Do Men Have Nipples? And other questions you'd only ask your doctor after your second martini.

It's a pretty good book.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
colker1 said:
is that hot? i think it is.. but i'm very tolerant when it comes to hot.
not hot, but i figure i'd hit it. etc. et.c and e.tc. etc-tra. and lick that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
yuk, no sorry

colker1 said:
is that hot?
I wouldn't go near it but I'm a boring kind of dude. earrings are cute but weird piercings and ink on girls squicks me out. I see that stuff on a girl I'm talking to and start to wonder... um, kinda where she's been, if that makes sense. the most annoying is this chick who sits right freakin' behind me in art history, she's got a tongue stud and clicks it <b>constantly </b> the. entire. damn. class. the other day i turned around and gave her the thousand yard glare with like jedi mind trick and everything but her evil was too powerful and it didnt work. if she does it again this week I'm totally gonna just tell her off. she'd be pretty cute if it weren't for that.

·
nothing
120 Posts
weapons grade chaos said:
I wouldn't go near it but I'm a boring kind of dude. earrings are cute but weird piercings and ink on girls squicks me out. I see that stuff on a girl I'm talking to and start to wonder... um, kinda where she's been, if that makes sense. the most annoying is this chick who sits right freakin' behind me in art history, she's got a tongue stud and clicks it <b>constantly </b> the. entire. damn. class. the other day i turned around and gave her the thousand yard glare with like jedi mind trick and everything but her evil was too powerful and it didnt work. if she does it again this week I'm totally gonna just tell her off. she'd be pretty cute if it weren't for that.
tell her you've heard what those are for. ask her if she ever uses it. glance meaningfully down at your pants.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts