Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happens every year this time in the Mid-Atlantic area....the last hurrah for those larger gnat-like bugs that line the airways of my country routes. I call it the bug burst. Gotta remember to breathe through my nose as much as possible.....open your mouth, breathe deep, and you suck down a little snack. Sure, it provides a bit of protien, but I'd rather eat a Cliff bar.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
About 2 weeks ago I had a near encounter with a dragon fly. These usually get out of the way but this one didn't...hit me just aside of my open mouth. For sure a gag-fest if it had been 1" over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Kuma601 said:
About 2 weeks ago I had a near encounter with a dragon fly. These usually get out of the way but this one didn't...hit me just aside of my open mouth. For sure a gag-fest if it had been 1" over.
I had one fly straight into my helmet:confused: didn't see what it was just felt the impact and something moving around on my head!! I've never stopped so fast! tore my helmet off and the little bugger (actually a beautiful red guy about 2 inches long) just flew off like nothing happened! Made the rest of the ride seem a bit dull:D

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Flying ants

frmrench said:
Happens every year this time in the Mid-Atlantic area....the last hurrah for those larger gnat-like bugs that line the airways of my country routes. I call it the bug burst. Gotta remember to breathe through my nose as much as possible.....open your mouth, breathe deep, and you suck down a little snack. Sure, it provides a bit of protien, but I'd rather eat a Cliff bar.
Our big protein source this time of year is flying ants. Yech! They're (relatively) big and the large wings just add to the fun.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Our big protein source this time of year is flying ants. Yech! They're (relatively) big and the large wings just add to the fun.
Ya know, I'd bet that's exactly what I've been dining on lately! Didn't know exactly what they were, but from their looks I'd bet you're spot on. The worst spots are when you go from shaded passages into the sun in early evening. That's where the swarms gather. Oh well, I've tasted worse!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I hate those bug clouds... I guess its better than bees though. I got one caught in my jersey once and the SOB stung me 3 times before I could stop and get him out.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The fall love bug swarm hit this week in Central FL, just in time for 3 races/rides in 1 week for me. Looks like my ride nutrition needs just found a new source...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Last thing that hit me in the helmet was a bee. It went inside a vent, crawled down my forehead (is this a bead of sweat? Nope, I feel legs), moved inside my glasses, and before I could get my glasses off, stung me in the eye socket. I headed for home and when I got off my bike, started feeling itchy all over...broke out in hives and slowly but surely my right eye swelled shut. 24 hours later things were about back to normal.

There's a victory photo for one of the mountain stages of this year's Vuelta where the rider (can't remember who) has one arm up in the air and the other covering his eye. The photo caption said he was stung by a wasp!! Those dudes are tough...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts