Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the go ahead from the wife to begin work on a second set of wheels for more challenging, technical terrain. I am looking for something sturdier that I could use with 700x34-38 tires.

I currently have DT 1.1 with King disc hubs and DT spokes. This is fine for road training and lighter trails and dirt. They may be too light weight for some of what I want to ride, so I want to have a set of bomb proof wheels that will see me through. I am tired of re-truing after every ride. Any suggestions? Where would you go with this? I was looking at Salsa Delgado or Semi 29er rims. Any experience with those. Then there's the hubs and spokes. King again? Phil? White? or should i just destroy a set of Shimanos? Again, the wife is keeping an eye on the budget... so reasonable would be nice...

How would you build up a wheelset? (Think rough)

Thanks!
I really appreciate the RBR Brain Trust.

· You call that running?
262 Posts
I was going to say DA 36 hole hubs, double butted spokes, and Mavic Open Pros, but you need disc hubs right? 135 rear if I'm not mistaken?

I don't think there are any top flite 36h disc hubs so that kills that idea. My inclination would be to go with a deeper rather than wider rim so that you don't flatten out the shape of your tires which would make them more prone to pinch flats. XTR will last as long as CK hubs for half the money. Not made in the USA, but just as good. People just tell themselves Kings are the be all end all of durability as an excuse to get expensive shiny bits for their bike.

And try to find a more competent wheel builder than last time.

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sundance,
I'm just glad my pain with my wheels was so memorable to y'all...:cryin:
I'll build 'em up myself this time. Personally I love the Kings, but I would consider XTR for a good pounding hub. What about rims? Disc specific isn't a must...just a good option.

Thanks

· Registered
434 Posts
One note on the Velocity Deep V's, the aluminum in those isn't the stiffest. I've got a pair I use for cross and they do bend / dent a bit. While they can last, they are pretty narrow and a tad soft. I'd consider the deeper section DT rim as well.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
In my experience, the best way to have a "bombproof" wheelset is to pick quality parts (the differences are generally minor) and have a great wheelbuilder put it together. The wheelbuilder's the most important part.

· p != b
2,303 Posts
Dajianshan said:
I currently have DT 1.1 with King disc hubs and DT spokes. This is fine for road training and lighter trails and dirt. They may be too light weight for some of what I want to ride, so I want to have a set of bomb proof wheels that will see me through.
There's nothing inherent in that build (given the details) that should prevent it from being bombproof. Some details that might help:
* How many spokes?
* What spoke guage? 2.0? 2.0-1.8? 1.8-1.6? 2.0-1.5? Aerolites?

As others mentioned, the most important part is the wheelbuilder. If I'm not mistaken, these are the wheels that were originally built radial in front (with the disc hub!!)? Finding a good builder is AT LEAST of equal importance to picking the right parts.

If I was building some bombproof 135mm Disc Hubbed, 700C wheels:
* 36 3x 2.0-1.8 spokes
* Shimano Deore XT Hubs
* Velocity Deep V or Niobium 30 rim

I have a similar build (32 3x 2.0-1.8, ??? shimano hub, nio 30) done myself that worked without problems through all last cx season. And I'm not easy on wheels.

· Registered
434 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
I had good luck with a set. Lots of trail miles and tires up to 2.3". YMMV.
wow! good to know, i'm impressed. i'm sure the larger tires helped. i had just been running 34s or so. ended up using a couple pieces of wood and a hammer to straighten the braking surface back out. as i said, it seemed pretty soft.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I think all bets are off if the rim actually bottoms out. Most of the time I was on 34s with high enough pressure that I never pinch flatted. I did ding the heck out of the powedercoat riding through loose rocks, so they always seemed pretty tough to me.

Velocity doesn't make the highest quality rims though in terms of finishing, and the Deep Vs are pretty obscenely heavy, so if these Nio 30s are the real deal it sounds like they are a better option.

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys!

I was looking at a Nio 30 wheelset earlier.
I'll have to build them up myself. I found the last builder was the wheel factory that does most of the wheels that come from the Merida factory.
That all looks like some good advice.:thumbsup:

· Registered
7 Posts
I've got nothing but good things to say about Salsa Delgado cross rims (the cross rims, NOT the mountain rims). I've used them on my cross bike and on my rigid 29er singlespeed. They build up round and true. Plus they're inexpensive. I've owned and used king, phil and white industries hubs. I'd pick white industries hubs. As durable as king and phil but cheaper. White freewheels are bombproof as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.