Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Lambretta
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this on its way to me....



I`ll be using it for racing and training.

What I am going for so far is...

Campa Centaur group (alloy)
Campa Zonda wheelset (silver)

I`m not sure if I should go for a quill stem, or use an adapter and fit a modern bar and stem.

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Cheers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,473 Posts
fux said:
I have this on its way to me....



I`ll be using it for racing and training.

What I am going for so far is...

Campa Centaur group (alloy)
Campa Zonda wheelset (silver)

I`m not sure if I should go for a quill stem, or use an adapter and fit a modern bar and stem.

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Cheers.

Beautiful frame......if it were me, I'd go quill....It would be a shame to put a modern stem on that frame
 

·
Old, slow, and fat.
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
I have a 130mm Ti Eclypse (IIRC that's the right name) if you need something that long. Lemme know.

M
 

·
22 going on Ancient
Joined
·
373 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Beautiful frame......if it were me, I'd go quill....It would be a shame to put a modern stem on that frame
My thoughts exactly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
DeRosa

A mix of modern and vintage parts can be ok. I agree with the quill stem.
The only modern part I would put on a vintage bike would be seatpost, saddle, pedals, rims, chain rings,tires . I would not re-space the frame if it is 126mm.
The hunt is part of the fun.
Good luck with your build.
 

·
Lambretta
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MShaw said:
I have a 130mm Ti Eclypse (IIRC that's the right name) if you need something that long. Lemme know.

M
That could have been nice but I`ll be needing a 90-100mm stem.

Nitto Pearl looks nice. That is a good tip.

Are there any modern bars out there in 26.0, silver with a classic bend?

(I`m thinking about weight)
 

·
Lambretta
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing....

Brown or white?



I`m thinking of having bar tape and seat in the same colour.

If I go white I can use my tried and trusted slr, but brown could look pretty cool too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Get a Shimano stem

Either 600 or Dura Ace. Make sure it's a 26.0 as they also made them in 25.4. Actually made by Nitto for Shimano. As for bars, my top choice would be 26.0 Cinelli 64 Giro d'Italia bars. Traditional bend, shallow drop. Next would be TTT traditional bend. All of the above, in silver. Finding silver bars in 26.0 and whatever width you're looking for will take patience. 40 ctc width are not a problem but 42 ctc are getting ever harder to find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,094 Posts
gomango said:
26.0 Bars= Nitto Noodle= Elegant/Comfortable
The Model 176 has a straight bar top and more of a classic bend - really a clone of the old Cinelli 64 bend.

That and a Nitto Pearl (or even a Dynamic) stem would be very cool.
 

·
Lambretta
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers fella`s.

I`m googeling a bit and found a pearl noodle kombo.



That could certainly do the job. As for the Dura-Ace stems, I was under the impression that they are made of unobtanium?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Just standard forged alloy

The Dura Ace and 600 stems haven't been made for some time but can be found quite easily, NOS and for less than you will pay for a new Nitto. The Dura Ace uses and expander plug while the 600 has a wedge.

fux said:
Cheers fella`s.

I`m googeling a bit and found a pearl noodle kombo.

That could certainly do the job. As for the Dura-Ace stems, I was under the impression that they are made of unobtanium?
 

·
Lambretta
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
merckxman said:
Doriano, son of Ugo, DeRosa is the only DeRosa building and he builds all the Ti frames. They are very expensive. You might want to re-consider racing it (and possibly crashing it)?
See: https://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.com/2008/01/ct-review-january-2008.html which mentions the story that appeared in an Italian cycling magazine about Doriano.
Well, to me THAT is just another reason why I should (and will) race it.

I also restore Lambretta`s



I prefer to see them on the road, than in some museum with rust in the barrel... Its where they belong. :thumbsup:
 

·
Batteries not required
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
fux said:
Well, to me THAT is just another reason why I should (and will) race it.
I prefer to see them on the road, than in some museum with rust in the barrel... Its where they belong. :thumbsup:
AMEN!!!!!!
I will never understand buying high a performance machine (bike, car, motorcycle etc) only to park it permanently and stare at it! What a waste!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Lambretta
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I`m trying to find a shop that sells Nitto pearls in 26.0 and 100mm long in europe....

Any reccomendations?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top