Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Build help?

3K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  fux 
#1 ·
I have this on its way to me....

I`ll be using it for racing and training.

What I am going for so far is...

Campa Centaur group (alloy)
Campa Zonda wheelset (silver)

I`m not sure if I should go for a quill stem, or use an adapter and fit a modern bar and stem.

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Cheers.

See less See more
#2 ·
fux said:
I have this on its way to me....

I`ll be using it for racing and training.

What I am going for so far is...

Campa Centaur group (alloy)
Campa Zonda wheelset (silver)

I`m not sure if I should go for a quill stem, or use an adapter and fit a modern bar and stem.

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Cheers.

Beautiful frame......if it were me, I'd go quill....It would be a shame to put a modern stem on that frame

#6 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Beautiful frame......if it were me, I'd go quill....It would be a shame to put a modern stem on that frame
My thoughts exactly.

#7 ·
DeRosa

A mix of modern and vintage parts can be ok. I agree with the quill stem.
The only modern part I would put on a vintage bike would be seatpost, saddle, pedals, rims, chain rings,tires . I would not re-space the frame if it is 126mm.
The hunt is part of the fun.
Good luck with your build.

#8 ·
MShaw said:
I have a 130mm Ti Eclypse (IIRC that's the right name) if you need something that long. Lemme know.

M
That could have been nice but I`ll be needing a 90-100mm stem.

Nitto Pearl looks nice. That is a good tip.

Are there any modern bars out there in 26.0, silver with a classic bend?

(I`m thinking about weight)

#11 ·
Get a Shimano stem

Either 600 or Dura Ace. Make sure it's a 26.0 as they also made them in 25.4. Actually made by Nitto for Shimano. As for bars, my top choice would be 26.0 Cinelli 64 Giro d'Italia bars. Traditional bend, shallow drop. Next would be TTT traditional bend. All of the above, in silver. Finding silver bars in 26.0 and whatever width you're looking for will take patience. 40 ctc width are not a problem but 42 ctc are getting ever harder to find.

#15 ·
Just standard forged alloy

The Dura Ace and 600 stems haven't been made for some time but can be found quite easily, NOS and for less than you will pay for a new Nitto. The Dura Ace uses and expander plug while the 600 has a wedge.

fux said:
Cheers fella`s.

I`m googeling a bit and found a pearl noodle kombo.

That could certainly do the job. As for the Dura-Ace stems, I was under the impression that they are made of unobtanium?

#18 ·
merckxman said:
Doriano, son of Ugo, DeRosa is the only DeRosa building and he builds all the Ti frames. They are very expensive. You might want to re-consider racing it (and possibly crashing it)?
See: https://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.com/2008/01/ct-review-january-2008.html which mentions the story that appeared in an Italian cycling magazine about Doriano.
Well, to me THAT is just another reason why I should (and will) race it.

I also restore Lambretta`s

I prefer to see them on the road, than in some museum with rust in the barrel... Its where they belong. :thumbsup:

#19 ·
fux said:
I prefer to see them on the road, than in some museum with rust in the barrel... Its where they belong. :thumbsup:
AMEN!!!!!!
I will never understand buying high a performance machine (bike, car, motorcycle etc) only to park it permanently and stare at it! What a waste!!!!!!!!!

#21 ·
#22 ·
fux said:
I`m trying to find a shop that sells Nitto pearls in 26.0 and 100mm long in europe....

Any reccomendations?
use an adapter and go aheadset, if you want to switch bars after you crash racing, the time saved will be well worth the 160grams the adapter weighs. Staying with a quill stem on a titanium lugless frame for tradition sake just because the builders forefathers made cool steel frames is not really all that important in the 21st century. Now if it was a steel lugged frame I would think that maybe tradition would dictate a quill. goodluck

#23 ·
kiwisimon said:
use an adapter and go aheadset, if you want to switch bars after you crash racing, the time saved will be well worth the 160grams the adapter weighs. Staying with a quill stem on a titanium lugless frame for tradition sake just because the builders forefathers made cool steel frames is not really all that important in the 21st century. Now if it was a steel lugged frame I would think that maybe tradition would dictate a quill. goodluck
I disagree. Everyone knows that pretty bikes go faster and that the quill stem is going to look really nice.

#25 · (Edited)
I didn't say anything about not riding it on the road, only about racing it. Lots of people purposefully choose less expensive bikes to race. I was only pointing out the background of the frame in case you didn't know it.

fux said:

I also restore Lambretta`s

#26 ·
Most the fellas I race against sit on carbon bikes that cost twice the amount this bike costs. The irony being that mine wont die if it hits the deck...

Anyway, with the frame being tig welded I went for a Cinelli Pinocchio and I also got hold of a 26.0 Cinelli 64 Giro d'Italia .

Now its time for the waiting game......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.