Rims to choose from:
IRD Cadence
Mavic Open Pro
DT Swiss R.R1
Velocity Aerohead

Hubs:
Dura-Ace
Hugi

I weigh 185 and this would be my only set of wheels. Do good if I get to ride 70 miles per week, most of the time only half that, but I need some wheels and would like to get decent everyday set with good performance/weight to price ratio.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
the Velocity Aeroheads and the IRDs have an offset rear, but most likely, the IRDs are out - too light for your weight. the offset rear definitely isn't vital. I'd pick either the aeroheads or the DT Swiss.

as for hubs, I assume you mean DT Swiss instead of Hugi. the DT Swiss hubs have the NDS flange offset inwards, which makes the spoke tensions more equal between drive and non-drive side. however, some say the poorer bracing angle for the NDS spokes is a negative. plus the DT hubs are very expensive.

I'd pick DA and Velocity.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
DA and OP. 14/15g Wheelsmith spokes, brass nipples, at least on the driveside.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've built wheels with the Aeroheads, DT RR1.1s, and Open Pros. I am by no means an expert, but in my opinion the Aeroheads are a cheap rim. They are not eyeletted, the finish is dull, and the joint on the rim is not nearly as nice as the OP or RR1.1.

As far as hubs go, choose Dura Ace. The DT hubs are nice, but much more expensiv, don't include skewers, and are not as easy to build because the spoke holes aren't nicely machined out for the spokes to bend into (do you see what I'm saying?).

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Why?

Since you don't ride very much (and presumably won't be racing), I question the importance of the wheels' "performance". Light wheels are ok for the weight weenies and those who are extremely competitive... but the performance difference is so small that you would not be able to perceive it just riding around. Aerodynamics is most important in any case (aero rim and spokes), and weight is secondary.

So... I'm going to guess that the only real performance goal you have is durability. For that, Ultegra is a better value than Dura Ace, which is a better value than DT. Use butted spokes and a tough rim... the ones you mentioned are all in the "light" category, except for the IRD which is "very light". You can buy OPs with Ultegra hubs at a lot of places for less than the parts would cost you, so I'd call that one a good value, anyway. If you want a custom build I'd suggest a Deep V or Sun Swift... maybe a Venus (these all happen to be aero as well). And if you want them to really be fast use WS AE15 spokes, with 2.0/1.8 butted spokes on the drive-rear... probably 32/36 because of your weight.

·
Registered
376 Posts
A clydesdale weighs in...

I ride Campy, so the cost/value consideration for DT Swiss hubs is a little different given the cost of Chorus/Record vs. D/A. I have a set of D/A-Open Pros on my 9 speed Veloce bike (shifts just fine) and they are great, but my DT Swiss-Velocity Aeroheads are fantastic wheels.

I have the OC rear, which makes for a great build. I liked the DT Swiss rims, but wanted the OC rear. Open Pros (other than the annoying click.click.click from the spacer) are rock solid, but...boring.

While a clydesdale, I tend to be pretty easy on equipment, but while agreeing that more spokes is better I certainly DON'T subscribe to the bias that every rider over 180lbs should ride 36 spoke Velocity Deep Vs. Stay away from stupid light, but a good build of 32 spoke rear (3x DS - 2x NDS) and 28 or 32 front (2x or 3x - radial looks cool, but 2x makes a better ride and many hubs are not warranted for radial) should work fine for you for thousands of miles.

Mike Garcia built mine and they are terrific.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
While a clydesdale, I tend to be pretty easy on equipment, but while agreeing that more spokes is better I certainly DON'T subscribe to the bias that every rider over 180lbs should ride 36 spoke Velocity Deep Vs.

I wouldn't either, but since the OP isn't racing why not go for durability? A few extra spokes don't weigh much, and the Deep V rims are faster as well as being durable.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Deep V's are faster?

They were when I lived in Iowa! But in Georgia things tend to go uphill a little more. Deep Vs are bomb-proof, but a little heavy when the going goes up!

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
marimba_artist said:
in my opinion the Aeroheads are a cheap rim. They are not eyeletted, the finish is dull, and the joint on the rim is not nearly as nice as the OP or RR1.1.
I'm sure that is your opinion, but the finish is a choice that Velocity has made, and is a cosmetic preference, not a quality or performance issue. The lack of eyelets is meaningless in terms of build quality, though it does require that the nipple shoulders be greased (which should be done on eyeletted rims too). I've built several wheels based on Aerohead rims and have not had any problems related to the rim joint, lack of eyelets, etc. The availability of an OC rear rim makes Velocity an excellent choice, IMO.

·
T.R., conservationist
235 Posts
Alex Crostini Rims

I just placed an order for a build using DT Swiss hubs and Alex Crostini rims, which Like Velocity also have an off-set rear.
I was going for the Velocity Aeroheads until I found these. I feel the Crostini's are nicer rims.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
cthomas said:
They were when I lived in Iowa! But in Georgia things tend to go uphill a little more. Deep Vs are bomb-proof, but a little heavy when the going goes up!
Climbing any hill <6% grade the aero rims are actually faster... even though heavier.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
jerman said:
I just placed an order for a build using DT Swiss hubs and Alex Crostini rims, which Like Velocity also have an off-set rear.
I like those to, but haven't seen any place online that sells them. Where did you get them and how much did you pay?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
weiwentg said:
the Velocity Aeroheads and the IRDs have an offset rear, but most likely, the IRDs are out - too light for your weight. the offset rear definitely isn't vital. I'd pick either the aeroheads or the DT Swiss.

as for hubs, I assume you mean DT Swiss instead of Hugi. the DT Swiss hubs have the NDS flange offset inwards, which makes the spoke tensions more equal between drive and non-drive side. however, some say the poorer bracing angle for the NDS spokes is a negative. plus the DT hubs are very expensive.

I'd pick DA and Velocity.
I'd second this recommendation, and only add a few comments:

The current DA rear hub is 10spd only (the previous version was 8/9/10spd). If your present drivetrain is 9spd (or less) and you don't plan to convert to 10spd, you might want to consider a different rear hub.

As stated elsewhere, butted spokes are a good recommendation. Not only are they a little lighter, but they are a little more durable.

Going from 32 to 36 spokes in the rear adds quite a bit in durability, with only a small increase in weight (about 1 oz. for the extra 4 spokes and nipples).

·
Il faut d'abord, durer.
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I have 9 speed and a local store has Wheelsmith pre-built dura-ace/open pro for 279.00.

I also know hat Oddsandendos will build something good for close to that price.

Any opinions on the Speedcific hubs or the hubs that Cane Creek uses on the Aerohead SG?

I won't ever race, but the potential to increase my mileage soon will exist hopefully. I weigh 185, however I'm in pretty good shape, and will probably be at my optimum 170 by May. We also have some prety good hills around here. Mountains, too.

I considered the standard Ultegra/CXP or Open pro that gets recommended, but for a few more dollars I can get something lighter with a better spinning hub that should be durable and still be about $300 (give or take).

I have 9 speed and a local store has Wheelsmith dura-ace/open pro for 279.00.

I also know hat Oddsandendos will build something good for close to that price.

Any opinions on the Speedcific hubs or the hubs that Cane Creek uses on the Aerohead SG?

Thanks again.

·
T.R., conservationist
235 Posts
Check with Troy Watson with Ligero Wheels, that's where mine are coming from. I think they are about the same price as the Velocity Aeroheads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts