Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay it's time to get started. Have a couple last decisions to make, got most of it figured out.

I used to ride roughly 80 miles a week and weigh 190#. I'm back on my fixie, but need to replace the road bike. I will be moving over the seat, bars and wheels to the new bike.

I've ridden the Look 595, 586, Pinarello Paris, new Orbea with Zipp 404s and two Moots. Liked the ride of the Moots the best. Rode Campy, Dura Ace and Red. I had DA on the old bike, time for something new as the hoods were a little big; Campy. Red is nice, but just seems odd. I like the Campy shifters, they fit my hands and I spend a lot of time on the hoods. Same with the frame, something different, back to metal (had a Ti Bacchetta Aero).

Build
Moots 53 compact
Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork
Campagnolo Record shifters, rear der, 12/25 cassette and chain
Chorus Carbon Cranks 53/39 and brakes
Nokon black cables
Moots cinch post (straight)
Moots Stem
FSA carbon bars (from the old bike)
Chris King Headset
Mavic Ksyrium ES wheels (from old bike) w/Conti 4000s
Reynolds Attack wheels (later)
Fizik Arione (silver/gray) or Fizik Aliante (black) or CX (white)

My questions to the board:
I know it's dumb, but I'm torn between finishing it out all black (seat, bar tape) or white seat and tape to set off the lettering or silver (already have the silver/gray Fizik seat). I will get the Reynolds rims later and plan on running them without the stickers.

So the options are - Black Chris King, Black Aliante saddle and black bar tape.

Or White seat, white tape and hoods and a red Chris King? ala Dtown or Chiup01. Could also go white Nokon here.

What do you think?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics?

I'd like to see pics w/the Reynolds, please post them.

I thought about going dark grey Deda stem and bars after seeing the white Issac posted in the General area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmm... I thought I heard my name mentioned here somewhere.

I'd say go white of course, but obviously that's what I have running. I think it really depends on what you're trying to go for. Black is pretty standard and low profile. It can give a very clean and stealthy look especially if the rims are deep and have no stickers. White jumps out to me a little more and makes the bike look "lighter" and matches the Moots logo well.

BTW, I tried a silver Arione saddle thinking that it would match the frame well, but I think it "disappeared" into the frame too much and makes the bike look very bland. This bike needs some contrast IMO.

Also, with the Fizik white bar tape, cleaning is a cinch. Just spray some regular bike wash and the dirt wipes right off.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Colors, Nokons and tape

That color of the Deda bars almost matches. Based on the cost of the Moots stem ($360) I may get both the Deda bars and stem and a new seat.

Why no bar tape on the drops? You never put your hands there? I never do.

Thanks for all the responses / options. Agree nixing the white Nokons - would work on a white frame but not this one.

Also in disucssing Nokons with the LBS they said the Campy cables may be a better option, shifting wise. I have nokon cables on my Ibis Mojo and like them alot, but these are with SRAM twisties, not Campy.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
181 Posts
YEah, the Deda bars look really cool against the frame, a little darker but its nice effect. For the price of the moots stem you can do a lot of things...

I ride the drops once in a while but 90% on the hoods, plus this frame is a little small for me. I've never wrapped the bars all the way down though, don;t know why really, just tradition for me.

Only thing about nokons is worry about scratching the frame, the moots finish is very delicate, rubs easily and sharp metal even plastic has left thin lines.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,526 Posts
Another option for bars and stems is Pro PLT in their polished option.
I have their bar with the Moots stem and it is a great match IMO.
And at around $50 Australian a piece via Chain Reactin in the UK it is almost half the price again to the Deda.
They also have a matching polished setpost.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,526 Posts
So far no problems with them at all.
They are reasonably light and for the price I dont think I could go too wrong.
I think a deep dish wheel like the AC or your Reynolds looks good with the Compact.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've HEARD that Nokon's actually don't work as well as the Shimano or Campy housing. They also don't look all that great to me either. Frankly I'll just go black housing and be done with it. You just want to draw attention to a few parts of the bike like the wheels, saddle, handlebar, and that's about it. Otherwise it starts to look too busy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.