Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much do you think a local shop will charge me to build my bike.....im just going to drop off all the parts...i dont really have time to put it together.

this is myrtle beach south carolina if anyones around there i like the grandstrand shop off 17 in murrells inlet

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that doesnt sound to bad i might call them next week and make an apointment....get fitted when im there so they can cut the fork....i have everything for the build......kinda guessed at the stem length.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
jrafter said:
that doesnt sound to bad i might call them next week and make an apointment....get fitted when im there so they can cut the fork....i have everything for the build......kinda guessed at the stem length.
Expect to add some money for a fitting.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,107 Posts
Also, you might get a bad reputation with that shop since you bought everything from somewhere else.

...but that's apparently a perfectly acceptable business model. *shrug*

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea they charge like $150 for the fitting........and they know ive been deployed for the last 6mos.

i buy a lot of stuff from them when im home.....i told them before i left that i would be buying everything overtime.

if i could have gotten i bike from them i would have but i never seem to have $3000 at one time.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
jrafter said:
how much do you think a local shop will charge me to build my bike.....im just going to drop off all the parts...i dont really have time to put it together.

this is myrtle beach south carolina if anyones around there i like the grandstrand shop off 17 in murrells inlet
I don't want to come across like a jerk, but why don't you just call them and ask them? Prices can vary a lot so what someone paid in Dallas or LA a few months ago may not be the same as what that specific shop would charge. Some things that could also be a factor:
  • Are all of the parts brand new in boxes?
  • Are you bringing pre-built wheels or do you want them to build them for you?
  • Do you have all of the parts (cables/housings/ferrules, chain, handlebar tape, headset/fork parts, tubes, etc.) required for the build or will you be wanting them to supply these?
  • Is the frame properly prepped or do they need to do that?
FWIW, when I build up a bike for a friend the cost is usually something along the lines of a case of beer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
everythings brand new in boxes...and i have ever part they will need.

i will call them from frankfurt germany because making a phone call here in africa is a pain.

i leave next week and i was just asking...........i do realize prices can be diffirent i did give me state and the area im in

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
build list
SETTE XIMO FRAME
FSA PRO COMPACT BARS
SRAM OG 1070 10 SPEED CASSETTE
CRANE CREEK IS3 HEADSET
SETTE REZ TI SADDLE

Fulcrum Wheels Factory Road Racing 5 Clincher Wheelset 2010 Black Pair F&R - Shimano

Hope Headsets Spacers Space Doctor Pack 5-5-10-20mm Black 1.1/8"

(1) Pro-Lite Forks - Road Corsa Carbon Forks Carbon 1.1/8" - Alloy

SRAM Gear Shifters - Road Force 10sp Shift & Brake Lever Set 2010 Set Left & Right

1) Zipp Handlebar Tape Handlebar Tape 2010 Black

1) Mavic Brakes - Road SSC Road Brakes - Pair 2009 Black - Pair

Thomson Seatposts Elite InLine Seatpost 27.2mm 330mm BLACK

(1) FSA Stems - Road OS-150 White Edition Stem 2009 100mm 6Deg 1.1/8" OS 31.8Clamp

ALSO SRAm FORCE FRONT AND REAR DS

RIVAL CRANK

Hope Seat Clamps Seat Clamp & Bolt 2009 31.8mm Gunsmoke

Mavic Computers Wintech HR 2009 Each

Shimano Pedals Clipless - MTB M770 XT Pedals Silver - Black

i also have bar tape and tires just cant remeber what

im sure its not the best build but it will do for now

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats what i was hoping....i will pay more......but if its close to that i will be happy.

ive only been planning this build since i was in iraq building my other bike.

im going to drop off all the parts and ride my harley down to andersonville georgia.

visit the natl park.......than come back and ride my bicycle as far down 17 as i can get before i have to turn around and come back.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
At the LBS i work at, we change $200 for a bare frame with customer supplied parts. This includes all frame prep as needed.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
If you have a performance bike nearby, you can get it done for $50. They typically charge $99 which is also a fair price.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,443 Posts
if you trust any shop that charges $50 to build a bike...or who's sign in front starts w/ "P"...:eek:

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Peanya said:
If you have a performance bike nearby, you can get it done for $50. They typically charge $99 which is also a fair price.

Wrong. Price to assemble a bike at Performance is $200.00

And just because its "Performance" doesn't mean that every store/mechanic is bad.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
havent had a chance to ride it other than around the hood.....will take it out in the morning and will have allens with me to make adjustments...the compact bars are kinda twitchy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts