Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I posted in another forum that doesn't seem to be very active, I'm hoping to get some advice as I'm piecing together a bike. I previously had a Marin Hamilton 29er single speed (not the kick-back 2 speed) and liked the setup - simple and good for street, light trails. I want to put together my own version of that (they no longer make it) with my own selected components, etc.

The first thing I'm trying to find and struggling with is the frame. Seems this is the most important. I don't want any suspension. Used or new is fine and in the $300-400 range, nothing fancy needed. I did get some information about the White Industries ENO hub and it seems to open a lot of options for frames. I want to use the same size tires as the Marin (29" / 700x40) , + freewheel.

Any links to specific frames, good suppliers, eBay/Craigslist auctions etc that would be good to build a similar bike to the one mentioned would be great.

Thanks

·
Noob
107 Posts
Hi, I posted in another forum that doesn't seem to be very active, I'm hoping to get some advice as I'm piecing together a bike. I previously had a Marin Hamilton 29er single speed (not the kick-back 2 speed) and liked the setup - simple and good for street, light trails. I want to put together my own version of that (they no longer make it) with my own selected components, etc.

The first thing I'm trying to find and struggling with is the frame. Seems this is the most important. I don't want any suspension. Used or new is fine and in the $300-400 range, nothing fancy needed. I did get some information about the White Industries ENO hub and it seems to open a lot of options for frames. I want to use the same size tires as the Marin (29" / 700x40) , + freewheel.

Any links to specific frames, good suppliers, eBay/Craigslist auctions etc that would be good to build a similar bike to the one mentioned would be great.

Thanks
You will probably have better luck on the mountain bike review forums.

MTBR.com

·
I love to climb!
2,052 Posts
As rayej68 said, you'll get a lot more response over at mtbr.com, there is a whole subforum on 29er bikes.

But for a place to start - A Surly Karate Monkey frame should fit the bill nicely. If you want to still run rim brakes, Surly makes the Ogre, also. (The Karate Monkey used to come with rim brake posts, so if you go used, you should be able to find one easily that has them. Steel frame and fork, versatile, can run gears or singlespeed/fixed without an Eno hub. Can fit as narrow or fat a tire as you want. 700X40 with fenders, even, if you like. You can get it as a frameset, or as a complete bike (singlespeed).

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
also if your local bike shop deals with a wholesaler called J and B they have their own frame set line called Origeon. Or something like that.

I saw a nice tripple butted steel cross frameset in there for about 349.00 retail.

They can help you there.

Bill

·
Registered
176 Posts
To the OP: you may want something with swappable dropouts. Unless you have horizontal dropouts, you will have to rely on a tensioner/SS kit. Some frames and gear ratios will allow you to convert to SS without a tensioner by means of a half link.

On-One Inbred is a cheaper alternative. You can run gears or go SS. Niner's have the best geometry in my opinion, but I'd stay away from Air9 SS conversions. You may experience FLEX!

You can also look for a used Redline Monocog. Simple, steel, durable and cheap.

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.