Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Climbin' Clyde
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking up my next bike project, building a commuter for my soon to be son-in-law. He's got a suburban commute of a few miles, and I think a cool ride would be a bike with the Shimano Alfine gruppo, which includes an internal 8-speed hub with a centerlock disc mount, single ring crank and one trigger shifter. I haven't built a SS bike yet (I think the 8-speed hub would work with vertical dropouts and a tensioner, but would look cleaner mounted on rear dropouts without) so I don't really know what's out there. I'm looking for sturdy & affordable, 700c wheel size, and probably a steel fork with disc mounts. Anybody else build up something similar? Any ideas for frames?

· Registered
522 Posts
Sablotny said:
I'm thinking up my next bike project, building a commuter for my soon to be son-in-law. He's got a suburban commute of a few miles, and I think a cool ride would be a bike with the Shimano Alfine gruppo, which includes an internal 8-speed hub with a centerlock disc mount, single ring crank and one trigger shifter. I haven't built a SS bike yet (I think the 8-speed hub would work with vertical dropouts and a tensioner, but would look cleaner mounted on rear dropouts without) so I don't really know what's out there. I'm looking for sturdy & affordable, 700c wheel size, and probably a steel fork with disc mounts. Anybody else build up something similar? Any ideas for frames?
I've been considering an internal hub commuter/trail/randonneuring bike also... Been debating between the Alfine and i-Motion 9 and then what sort of frame, but I've been leaning towards a cyclocross frame since they tend to be a good balance of speed and durability and you can get them with horizontal dropouts and designed for disk or canti brakes and fenders. There are plenty from Salsa, Gunnar, etc. at different price points.

· Climbin' Clyde
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good call on the Zion

The Salsa La Cruz is pretty cool, but has vertical dropouts. Didn't know SRAM had a similar deal as the Alfine. But I see its a pound heavier and comes with gripshift. I like triggers, so I think I'll force one on the future owner.

· Registered
522 Posts
Sablotny said:
The Salsa La Cruz is pretty cool, but has vertical dropouts. Didn't know SRAM had a similar deal as the Alfine. But I see its a pound heavier and comes with gripshift. I like triggers, so I think I'll force one on the future owner.
I think the Casseroll has horizontal dropouts. I prefer the twist shifter, cause with a Hubjub you can stick it on the end of drops easily. Look at the Bianchi SanJos8 for an example.

If you are going the 29er route, I would think you would get better suggestions over at the MTBR forums...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.