Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have always wanted to build a climbing specific bike and have chosen to convert one of my pervious bike to do so.

I will list bike as it is and am curious what people suggest to lighten up.

BMC SLT01 Team (phonak)
Full Record Carbon (minus crankset)
FSA K-Force Mega-Exo Compact Crankset and BB
Easton Ec-70 Zero Seat post
SLR gel flow saddle
Look CX-6 pedal (kinda need to keep these for the adjustable Q factor) I know there are lighter
ITM Millennium handelbar
ITM Forged lite stem
Campy Eurus Wheels or Ksyrium SSC Sl wheels

I am sure I could get carbon whels, but maybe somethign less expensive.

I have no idea how much it weighs as I do not have a fancy scale yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
First off what is your budget?

This will indicate how light you want to go depending on your budget.
My first thing I would change out is the Wheels. for a good light climbing set
you should be under 1200 grams for the wheelset. This would make the biggest
difference.

I you are building a pure climbing bike only and money was no object I would get
CarbonSports Lightweight "L´Alpe d´Huez" Uphill only wheels. Those are about
1000 grams for the wheelset. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I figured wheels wuld be the biggest thing.

My only concern is the cost for an all carbon wheelset. Hyperons, ZIpp, etc.

Besides me losing pounds I was curious what ideas people have. Wheels are good ideas, but what else????? :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
The only thing about 1200 gram wheels - they are likely all tubulars (does anyone know of clinchers that are less than 1200 grams?). If you don't want tubulars, then you would probably be more in the vicinity of 1300-1500 grams for a "light" clincher wheelset - though American Classic Magnesiums are about 1225 or so they say...

·
Registered
205 Posts
yea, but you also have to take into account that those AC are really just race only, and need to be coated after every ride with a special gel so that the mag doesn't corrode... Just somethhing to consider. I would suggest some zipp 202s, hyperions, lightweights, etc, clinchers, which will be around 1300 but rideable.

·
Registered
732 Posts
moose8500 said:
yea, but you also have to take into account that those AC are really just race only, and need to be coated after every ride with a special gel so that the mag doesn't corrode... Just somethhing to consider. I would suggest some zipp 202s, hyperions, lightweights, etc, clinchers, which will be around 1300 but rideable.
I agree. I wasn't recommending the Magnesiums - I was merely trying to point that to get a wheelset less than 1200 grams, you need tubulars. Magnesiums come the closest as far as I know (if you don't mind the extra hassle). Also, 202s and lightweights are tubulars.... they are well under 1200 grams. If the OP does not want tubulars, then those suggestions wouldn't be helpful either... really more information is needed...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Everyones focusing on uber expensive wheels so I will try and keep the $ a little more in line.

When you say climbing specific do you mean a race day only on Mt Washington etc when you know the grade and duration? or a "regular" liteweight road bike?

If race only then simply calculate gear ratio required for each race and strip the front derailleur, use a dummy left brake lever, a close ratio cassette (alloy will save 100g +) and a chainring suitable for the task. Tom Danielson use this set up for a few climbing events (34 or 36T ring and a 11-23 cassette, no back brake which is o.k with USCF I believe.

Of course this wont work if the terrain is rolling etc. Then you will need a bigger ring. Thats why I ask.

The SLR gelflow is not bad - but a regular SLR or so will drop 50g

SLR saves 50g cost $60
Single ring set up costs $150 for cassette saves 400g+ (gut left hand record ergo levers saves 50-60g)
Record brakes are great stoppers but not the lightest, cane creeks, Zero gravity or mavics are a good choice
Even AC 350's weigh 1350g a saving of over 200g from Ksyriums or Euros and cost what $500 new ? Conti Supersonics and latex tubes weigh approx 190g per wheel - not much more than lite tubbies.
Bar and stem - I'm not familiar with, whats the weight? a good light combo will be 300g - say a 3TTT prima 199 and a Syntace F99 stem total of $150

Thats a good start - give us more info - what do you weigh? what kinda climbs do you plan on attacking?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cassette

Get an aluminum/scandium/Ti cassette. They sell them made of all three materials in different gears for weight and durability issues. Look at KCNC cassettes on ebay. They weigh 108-130 grams depending on what your spread is. That is about 80 grams lighter then record.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Extralite UltraClimb SL are clinchers....

They also have the UltraClimb SP 1190g Claimed:

Weight: 1190Gr / set.

Hubs: Extralite UltraHubs SP.

Spokes: straight pull black bladed, 24+28.

Rims: Aluminium, clincher, 18.7mm x w24.5mm.

Compatible: Shimano, Campagnolo.

Finishing: black anodized.

Graphics: laser etched.

Nipples: black Ergal.

Also the UltraClimb SPN 895g Tubular Wheels...
Weight: 865Gr / set.

Lacing: straight pull.

Nipples: Ergal, ABS system.

Spokes: 20+24 DB bladed beta Titanium.

Rims: Tubolar, Nano Elite Carbon 18mm x w24mm.

Graphics: Extreme + Extralite decals.

Finishing: natural carbon.

·
Registered
672 Posts
DIRT BOY said:

They also have the UltraClimb SP 1190g Claimed:

Weight: 1190Gr / set.

Spokes: straight pull black bladed, 24+28.

Rims: Aluminium, clincher, 18.7mm x w24.5mm.

Finishing: black anodized.

Graphics: laser etched.

Nipples: black Ergal.

Also the UltraClimb SPN 895g Tubular Wheels...
Weight: 865Gr / set.

Lacing: straight pull.

Nipples: Ergal, ABS system.

Spokes: 20+24 DB bladed beta Titanium.

Rims: Tubolar, Nano Elite Carbon 18mm x w24mm.

Graphics: Extreme + Extralite decals.

Finishing: natural carbon.
Hey Dirt Boy,
I checked your site but didn't see this, how about prices on the Extralite road wheels?

·
Registered
96 Posts
AC 350's

I ride AC 350's built up with Sapim Spokes. My set weigh in at 1282 grams.
These are my daily riders and have no problems. I weigh 170lbs and 5'11"
And still true. Been riding these for two years.

How light do you want to go. 13,14 or 15lbs?

I built up a 2005 Sworks E5 at 14.5 lbs with computer and cages. and riding the bike up hills is almost effortless compared to my old Allez Elite.

Another favorite componet on my bike is my Zero G brakes. uber light

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
The pricing is there..

Road Wheels

But the UC SL are no longer availabe. The SP can be built with Pilar Blue Titanium Spokes for an upgrade charge.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Fanaticbiking said:
Ok, I have always wanted to build a climbing specific bike and have chosen to convert one of my pervious bike to do so.

I will list bike as it is and am curious what people suggest to lighten up.

BMC SLT01 Team (phonak)
Full Record Carbon (minus crankset) 0-G Brake Calipers 130g
FSA K-Force Mega-Exo Compact Crankset and BB Extralite E-Bones WRC 180g
SLR gel flow saddle
Look CX-6 pedal (kinda need to keep these for the adjustable Q factor) I know there are lighter Time RXS Carbon have Q-factor adjustment 100g
ITM Millennium handelbar
ITM Forged lite stem Syntace F99 26 or 31.6mm 50g
Campy Eurus Wheels or Ksyrium SSC Sl wheels Extralite Ultraclimb SP Clinchers 300g

I am sure I could get carbon whels, but maybe somethign less expensive.

I have no idea how much it weighs as I do not have a fancy scale yet.
So all in all you could save 750g + depending on what you already have. The wheels will make the most difference. Alternatively if you want to try tubulars have a look at ambrosio crono on extralite hubs. They should come in at about the same as the Extralite wheel weight but the tyres will be lighter as they have no need for tubes.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
moose8500 said:

?
The AC website doesn't say anything about treating them after use. Also, there are several frame manufactures using Mag and none recommend any treatment. They do protect the frames with a coating but that is done by a dipping process and applied before painting. I'll have to ask my friend at Paketa if this has merrit. I was just thinking they were race use only because of the rim stregenth.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
switch to down tube shifters
make sure you are buying light tires.
you can even remove the padding on the SLR for more weight savings
check out the M2 Racer orb ti pedals... I'm ridding them now, supper light and very soild.
zipp has some new bars out at 160 grams...
syntace stem at just over 100

but a big weight savings...
don't bring too much water

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
So many things you can do....

here are my suggestions for a climbing bike.

FSA K-Force Mega-Exo Compact Crankset and BB

Ditch these and go with the Extralite E-Bones WRC with just the 34T or use the MTB verions and run a smaller single chainring. These cranks will save over 200g.

Extralite ThePost UL2 XS, M2 Racer, Ultimate or AX-Lightness
Most will save 25g+

SLR gel flow saddle
Tune Concord 55g or M2 Racer saddle

ITM Millennium handelbar
Zipp SL carbon bar, Kestrel EMS Pro SL, Schmolke Carbon

ITM Forged lite stem
Syntace F99/119 or the Extralite Roadstem UL

Campy Eurus Wheels or Ksyrium SSC Sl wheels
So many wheels clices including handbuilts. Tune Hubs with several rims.
Run no FD if you use a single chainring, 1 Brake only and soem really light tires and tubes.

All this could save over 1.5lbs and maybe more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
check out the Easton EC90 SLX fork; i've heard very good things.

Also, Bontrager is doing a carbon clincher wheel that seems to look very nice for strength/weight/practicality. See if you can find a local trek dealer doing a wheel demo for them, i've heard rumors of that. Not the ABSOLUTE lightest wheels you can get, but a very good choice IMO.

Definately try and get your hands on those Zero G brakes that some other people were mentioning : )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts