Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have listened to all advise to this post and reading other posts and I now have a interest in buying a frame and building it up from scratch. As many of you have mentioned I can get a lot more for my buck, even after purchasing the tools required (which I will need anyway some day for maintenance). I was concerned about the size but quickly realized that most good web sites have a good fit guide and with the help of my wife I have gone to several and sized several frames.

Now that I have the build bug can you all led me to some good web sites or recommended literature for bike building?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
park tool....

http://www.parktool.com/repair/ has just about all the info you should ever need.

FWIW, I would not rely on any of the fit calculators I've seen on the web. I've plugged in my dimensions and never get real close to what I ride. This is particularly true with regard to stem length/reach. None of the fit calculators have any way of knowing how far back your saddle will be and this alone can affect stem length by 2-3cm.

The most important thing to figure out is if you have unusual proportions that would steer you toward or away from a particular brand. There are a few, like Trek, with long top tubes that I could never consider. Most other brands have something that will fit me, although I look for frames with a shorter than average reach.

Quite often either of two sizes can be made to fit the same, but the smaller of the two will require one size longer stem, and 2cm more steering tube spacer and/or a higher rise stem to get the bars up to height.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
tgiboney said:
Okay I have listened to all advise to this post and reading other posts and I now have a interest in buying a frame and building it up from scratch. As many of you have mentioned I can get a lot more for my buck, even after purchasing the tools required (which I will need anyway some day for maintenance). I was concerned about the size but quickly realized that most good web sites have a good fit guide and with the help of my wife I have gone to several and sized several frames.

Now that I have the build bug can you all led me to some good web sites or recommended literature for bike building?
I'm sorry if I'm extrapolating too much, but it is not necessarily true that one gets more bang for the buck by building one's bike from scratch. First of all, it depends on where the bike is on the price range. You won't be able to buy components cheaper than Giant or Trek or Fuji, because they buy them in the million-quantity range. They also produce frames in similar quantities, and you won't be able to beat the OEM (original equipment menufacturer) pricing easily.

Second of all, fit is really really important. If you've been riding bikes for a while you may already have a good idea on fit, so that is probably not a problem for you.

Finally, you have to account for the "factor of misfortune" when building your own bike. This is one reason that I usually just go to my usual shop to get my fork cut. I only have to do it once, or at most twice, and the shop will be responsible if there is anything wrong with it.

Anyways, sorry if I'm extrapolating too much from the brief post.

·
Registered
460 Posts
tgiboney said:

I built my first bike by buying a frame, bottom bracket and headset from the same store at the same time and had them installed, which is usually free. You may need to chase/face the bottom bracket and head tube if ever. And in my case the shop may have taken care of that.
I bought a book by Leonard Zinn titled Zinn and the Art of Road Bike maintenance which help me put the parts together.
It is fun but tedious specially if you have to look for bargains or items on sale, as buying full retail will be costly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts