Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

So far I got a bb30 type frame with a 700c wheels. I recently purchased a VISION TRIMAX Crankset BB30 177.5mm 53/39 Triathlon TT Tri Road Bike by FSA on eBay. I was wondering what kind of setup would go perfect with this setup so far? I'm open to price ranges, but keeping it under a 300 budget would be perfect as well.

Many thanks in advanced.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
More info. We need more info.

What kind of bike are you building? You say road then by a long tri crank. We need more info to recomend what kind of setup goes with that setup, as you said.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Okay, so you need:
Pedals
Shifters
Front and Rear Der
Chain
Cassette
Cables
Brakes
Bars
Bar tape
Seatpost
Saddle
Tubes
Tires
Fork?
Headset?
Bottom Bracket?

Keeping it under $300 is going to be really tricky. Shifters alone will probably run you $200. Your best bet is going to be buying a used bike in decent condition, then doing a frame swap, and selling the parts you don't need.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only have the frame, fork, cable housing and the tri crank so far. The crank comes with the bottom bracket. So, everything thing else like the seatpost, stem, chain, cassette, front and rear Der and brakes are still missing. I'm still open to the price ranges over 300, but for now I'm just looking if anything as a groupset can be under 300?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
RB, you need maybe to slow down and learn a little more before you buy stuff. You said on the other thread you bought a 52cm frame. If that fits you, that means you're fairly short, with fairly short legs. You just bought a crankset with unusually long 177.5mm arms -- you probably should use 170, or even shorter. Triathletes tend to pedal at slower cadences, so they favor longer cranks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should, I know I'm rushing a lot of these things. I'm around 5'6 to 5'7. I read somewhere this would fit a person like me. So, with this arm length, it wouldn't really suit me? and should go with a 170?

·
9,790 Posts
I should, I know I'm rushing a lot of these things. I'm around 5'6 to 5'7. I read somewhere this would fit a person like me. So, with this arm length, it wouldn't really suit me? and should go with a 170?
As completely lost as you seem to be about bikes, why are you trying to piece one together rather than buying a complete bike?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have to agree with PlatyPius. I built a bike in '06. I've upgraded and ridden it ever since, and I love it. Recently, I got fitted and bought a new bike that really fits properly. The shop also fitted my old bike to me, so now it fits properly.

The difference is like night and day.

There is no component you can buy for a bike that is as effective as a proper fit.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
As completely lost as you seem to be about bikes, why are you trying to piece one together rather than buying a complete bike?
Have to agree.

Tutoring over the interwebs has it's limitations.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
If you hadn't already bought a frame I'd have told you to do the following:
Do a fit based on your measurements (competitive cyclist has an app on their page).
Look on CL or your local LBS's for a used bike in the right size.

IMO your cranks are too long for you (for general riding).

From what you've typed, you don't have deep pockets so chances are you don't have and won't be able to get the tools to do all the work easily. I suppose I could put a bike together with a multi tool, I'd rather not. A good set of cable/housing cutters and a bench grinder make all the difference in doing a good cabling job. In my case I pick between bike stands based on the job I have to do on the bike.

While I admire your enthusiasm, you are in over your head and the help you can get via a forum is limited. As you have the frame pic posted to your album, I'm going go with the premise that all this is a genuine effort. Based on the photo of the bike I'd definitely be looking for an SRAM group (due to the major badging).

·
Banned
443 Posts
You can do it RB. I started cycling June '12 and bought an all original 1981 Klein without knowing what anything about cycling. With my first ride with my friends I found out real quick the technology had changed light years from 1981. So I learned while riding my Klein what my next bike needed. The Klein was unable to be upgraded with new technology shifting without welding some shift stops onto the downpost. So I bought a used Cannondale frame for $38. Then bought all used new technology equipment and now I'm up to date. Well I guess Di2 and Carbon frame is really new technology. Though I did buy new wheels, tires, tubes, and handle bar wrap. With all that I have about $350 in the bike. I learned alot and did it all with no special tools from Park. I will say you should beable to buy a complete upgraded bike for $400 easy if you look around.

Good luck

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I'm around 5'6 to 5'7. I read somewhere this would fit a person like me. So, with this arm length, it wouldn't really suit me? and should go with a 170?
You're 5'6" and you bought a 53/39, 177.5 crankset? Good luck with that. What you read would have been almost correct if you were at least a foot taller and were a pro-level rider. You need 170 cranks max (165 would be perfect) and 50/34. You're in way over your head right now and need to back off and do a lot of reading.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,663 Posts
it's wayyyyyy less expensive to buy a complete bike. if you want anything at all resembling decent components, $300.00 is about $500.00 less than you'll need. and 177.5mm crank arms? poor decision there for someone your size.

·
Banned
443 Posts
it's wayyyyyy less expensive to buy a complete bike. if you want anything at all resembling decent components, $300.00 is about $500.00 less than you'll need. and 177.5mm crank arms? poor decision there for someone your size.
If you are frugal and watch for good used components you can build a bike for about $350 because I'm riding one. I have a '93 Cannondale with shimano 105 5600 brakes and shifters, aero wheels, carbon bars, and shimano 600 square taper crank. You can buy a fairly decent complete bike for about $450. I don't have anything against riding a $1000 bike and up but my wallet doesn't have $100's in it just a $5 here and there. Those guys with the $1000 and up bike are nice and I enjoy riding with them and they with me.

I agree with CX in that it is cheaper to buy a complete used bike if you are buying new components to put on the bike you are building.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
The Klein was unable to be upgraded with new technology shifting without welding some shift stops onto the downpost.
You can get a down tube clamp to do this, not the prettiest be they do make them.

·
9,790 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought 52cm frame would fit a person who is 5'6"-5'7"?

I suppose you're right on my cranks, I'll probably sell them off and get a crank with a shorter arm.

Yeah, I don't have tools. I was planning to ask around if my friends know, or just go to a local shop. (probably should of went there first and as about components and such)

Thank you, I guess I really just rushed this little bike project and screwed up, haha. I've been told to go with the sram group, but I don't know why I didn't.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.