Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Park Tool AK-32 - Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit and I was wondering what tools I would need to add to this to work on older bikes? I have a 2004 Bianchi Brava and a 1970's Motobecane Super Mirage. I want to be able to work on both and I think the tool kit is a good start. what other tools do you think I'll need?

Links

· Registered
21,867 Posts
BB and fw tools

links0311 said:
I just bought a Park Tool AK-32 - Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit and I was wondering what tools I would need to add to this to work on older bikes? I have a 2004 Bianchi Brava and a 1970's Motobecane Super Mirage. I want to be able to work on both and I think the tool kit is a good start. what other tools do you think I'll need?
You'll need a freewheel tool, made just for the freewheel brand you have, a lock ring spanner for the left cup on the BB, perhaps a pin tool for the left cup and perhaps a "D" tool for the right cup. This will depend on the specific brand and model of BB you have installed. Other than that, your Park kit should be good.

· Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
No need for a "D" tool for the right cup, it's just 36 mm and you can use the 36 mm headset spanner just fine. The only thing I'd add to Kerrys list would be a Allen Key Multi tool like <a href="http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=99&subcategory=1230&brand=&sku=2638&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=">this</a href> one.

That kit has mostly shop level stuff. The cone wrenchs are great compared to the old stamped one, those are plasma cut Cro-Mo if I remember, although I wish it were heat treated tool steel myself. I'd get another set of them though if I were going to be doing a lot of work like on a neighbors or relatives bike regularly, you can never have enough 15 and 14 mm cone wrenches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.