Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be building a trailor for my Bianchi Volpe. This summer I'm going to try to make it through with the gas that's left in my tank after about a week. I've got about half a tank in there right now, and it probably won't be much less than that after next week.

My main concern with this was going to the supermarket. I decided it would probably be best to build myself a trailor that I could fit a cooler on it large enough to fit a galon of milk, cheese, produce, meat, and some ice into, because the closest Trader Joes to me is about 12 miles away, and I would hate to get home and have warm milk and nasty cheese.

Anyway... Really the only problem I'm having in making this is deciding how to make the connecting bracket to connect to the bike. I've never actually seen the connecting device used to connect a trailer to the rear axle of a bike. I have some ideas, but I was hoping that if anyone has a digital camera and a trailer like this, that you might be able to snap me a picture or two to help give me an idea. I've been to my bike shop, and they don't have any trailers in stock, and the other bike shop by my school is full of jerks (I don't want to rant about this here).

I was thinking about connecting to the seat post, which I could do because I have access to a bender, but I would think it would be more stable if I connected to the axle.

Also, has anyone here built their own trailor? Any pics? Any advice you'd like to offer before I actually begin building (most likeley next week after this semseter is over)? I'll definatly post some of mine when I'm done. Thanks a lot guys,

joe

·
Registered
444 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
I'm going to be building a trailor for my Bianchi Volpe. This summer I'm going to try to make it through with the gas that's left in my tank after about a week. I've got about half a tank in there right now, and it probably won't be much less than that after next week.

My main concern with this was going to the supermarket. I decided it would probably be best to build myself a trailor that I could fit a cooler on it large enough to fit a galon of milk, cheese, produce, meat, and some ice into, because the closest Trader Joes to me is about 12 miles away, and I would hate to get home and have warm milk and nasty cheese.

Anyway... Really the only problem I'm having in making this is deciding how to make the connecting bracket to connect to the bike. I've never actually seen the connecting device used to connect a trailer to the rear axle of a bike. I have some ideas, but I was hoping that if anyone has a digital camera and a trailer like this, that you might be able to snap me a picture or two to help give me an idea. I've been to my bike shop, and they don't have any trailers in stock, and the other bike shop by my school is full of jerks (I don't want to rant about this here).

I was thinking about connecting to the seat post, which I could do because I have access to a bender, but I would think it would be more stable if I connected to the axle.

Also, has anyone here built their own trailor? Any pics? Any advice you'd like to offer before I actually begin building (most likeley next week after this semseter is over)? I'll definatly post some of mine when I'm done. Thanks a lot guys,

joe

hey i tried to build a trailer and it was a total failure. your best bet is to buy a trailer like the ZZ bike
http://www.zzbike.com/
or the cheap route is to get an old kid trailer at a yard sale and modify it.

i spent a lot of time trying to get make a homemade trailer, and it just didnt work. i would have been better off just buying one.

for groceries, my favorite is the 'grocery pannier' by jannd. there are supergo knock-offs too. they each fit a paper grocery bag exactly. or just carry them in the shop and fill them up. when full, go check out.

but for larger loads, get a trailer. dont worry about the cooler. just pack all the cold stuff together and it should be fine for the ride home.

the final thing that works for my bro (car-free) is grocery delivery by peapod.

awesome goal for not using gas!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
one note of caution

JoeDaddio said:

joe
Joe, be careful with the gas that you leave in your tank. It will go bad, and you will start ot get water in your gas tank. No good at all. Head to your local Napa/AutoZone/Whatever and get the proper additive.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
If you're worried about stuff getting warm, just get a small cardboard box that you can fold up when not needed. When it's needed just throw your goods in and put some freezer packs (or dry ice) on top of it. Another option is the small insulated carrier bags that are about the size of grocery bags. similar to these: http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p13319731-k24-g4-~insulated+grocery+bag-nover?sourceid=3

I've seen them in tons of sizes and shapes.

I'll have to take a pic of my trailer. It's an old Cannondale that I put snaps and a cover on. It attaches to the seat post.

G

·
Krafcik said:
Joe, be careful with the gas that you leave in your tank. It will go bad, and you will start ot get water in your gas tank. No good at all. Head to your local Napa/AutoZone/Whatever and get the proper additive.
Yup, just spent $100 on my lawnmower. Cleaning the carb and all no gaskets and seals. The gasoline goes bad after about three weeks they tell me, but the problem is mitigated if you buy and add a Fuel Stabilizer.

I was told the problem is that the lead used to keep the fuel stable and now they keep changing the stabilizer additives.

Where was the service bulletin that would have told me this before my mower became a gunked useless piece of lawn art?

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
I built myself a trailer

I built myself a trailer a few years back using a kit from Equinox: http://www.efn.org/~equinox/ . I have been very happy with it. I used the equinox chassis, bolted on a plywood floor and attached some bent tubing "sidewalls". I also have a bit of elastic netting (from a motorcycle shop -- used to keep large loads on a motorcycle rack) to keep things nice and tight. I use it for groceries (when we don't have them delivered) and all kinds of other errands -- including carting a few cubic metres of firewood this past winter! Below are a few pictures from the Equinox website. I'll post some pictures of my cart later. Alternatively, you can order just the hitch assembly from them.

A+

Philippe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.