Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that one should do 8 minute intervals of 80% to 90% of max HR to build aerobic base... I mean, I know it wouldn't build aerobic base... But I guess what I'm getting at is that this is a method in which to pinpoint improving aerobic fitness.

Any truth to this?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
This article has a table showing which sorts of training spur which sorts of physiological adaptations.
http://www.freewebs.com/velodynamics2/traininglevels.pdf
"Aerobic" fitness is accrued most quickly through sweet spot (level 4) training, but the problem is you can only tolerate so much of that intensity. So theoretically, aerobic base building would best be a mix of zones 2 through 4.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Building base

MaddSkillz said:
I've heard that one should do 8 minute intervals of 80% to 90% of max HR to build aerobic base... I mean, I know it wouldn't build aerobic base... But I guess what I'm getting at is that this is a method in which to pinpoint improving aerobic fitness.

Any truth to this?
That sounds more like building aerobic SPEED. Base, in many people's concept, is about training volume at less than high level work load, though there should always be speed work built into any program that seeks to increase speed. Intervals over 5 minutes emphasize threshold. 5, 10, and 20 minute intervals have their place depending on your goals.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
I printed out that pdf from above. I don't have a power meter but using the other guidelines it seems that I am not training hard enough. When I am by myself I have a real hard time getting my HR to stay at or above 100% of LTHR (Level 4) and even when I'm chasing faster guys or climbing I've never seen my HR go higher that 107% of LTHR (Level 5) so I can't even comprehend Level 6

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I printed out that pdf from above. I don't have a power meter but using the other guidelines it seems that I am not training hard enough. When I am by myself I have a real hard time getting my HR to stay at or above 100% of LTHR (Level 4) and even when I'm chasing faster guys or climbing I've never seen my HR go higher that 107% of LTHR (Level 5) so I can't even comprehend Level 6
LTHR isn't a reproducible or biologically meaningful number, anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. Coggan doesn't even give HR figures for levels 6 and above because it isn't useful for gauging effort at that point...and I'll go one step further and say that it's too variable to be a reliable gauge of effort for lower levels.

Which is why people use power meters.

·
Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That link is not working for me... I'd like to read over it though!

I'd like to have a power meter but just do not yet. Maybe sometime soon. I do have a Garmin 500 and can use all of that data.

I just feel like an aerobic wimp. I want to go faster over the long haul but don't exactly know how to train for it. I just ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.