Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm putting an older Colnago frame together. Circa 2007 aluminum material. My shop guy said it requires a 1" traditional press-in aheadset. Stressing the "a"headset. I noticed they're made by Cane Creek and cost $19.99. I'm just curious what everyone thinks. Why would I put a 20 dollar headset on a 3,000 dollar bicycle? Are there no other options? Thanks.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
You can use "aheadsets" all the way up to Chris King and the Cane Creek 110 Classic. They're both well over $100. I have both.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Campagnolo obviously :)

Campagnolo Record Headset - Threadless | Chain Reaction Cycles

edit. I looked this up and actually, just saying "Aheadset" appears to be a poor way of defining things, since it refers to a proprietary system from Cane Creek that can have 11 different configurations. AHEADSET :: Bicycle Headset Manufacturers

I believe that what you need is an external headset suitable for a 1" threadless steerer. Which is what I proposed. If you have a threaded steerer (which I doubt in 2007), then Campy makes those too.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
True, but by 2007 Colnago was fully switched over to threadless - I checked.

OTOH I'm wondering if OP's bike is older, since I'd have thought they were all 1 1/8" by then.

·
Registered
960 Posts
It's the fork that determines threaded vs. thread less. My colnago has a threaded fork and headset because I preferred the look. I happened to have an older chromed straight bladed fork that I wanted to use. There were and still are options.

It could very well be that colnago had stopped making threaded forks in their own brand by 2007 (I did not check) so it is entirely possible that Mike T's statement is accurate

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I think we all know that. Unfortunately, the OP did not tell us.

The balance of probabilities is that the frame is older than 2007 and fork threadless. As far back as 1999 the catalog shows threadless forks.

Major manufacturers like Cannondale and Merckx went to 1 1/8" forks in 2001-02. The 1" threadless fork had a pretty short lifespan.

If OP cares to tell us, then the advice can be confirmed or altered.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Sorry I missed the "true" leading off your statement. I originally read it as a contradiction to Mike.

In this case you could point out my lack of reading comprehension, by responding "true"

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I'm much too nice to be pointing to the minor faults of others.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Agree with above 2007 should be 1 1/8. My 2005 Colnago of course has a Record headset. I had a Chris King on my '96 C40 until I went back to threaded fork, then I went with another Record.

I always assumed Aheadset was just a brand, I have that on my aluminum Wilier with an integrated headset.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow! Great forum. A wealth of knowledge here. I have remeasured. It now appears to be 1 1/8! Wish I could post a photo. I must have misheard the mechanic at the shop. I brought the frame in so he could advise me on the measurements. I have no fork. I will have one custom built and painted to match. Thanks for responses! Very helpful.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Definitely go with a good headset and forget about it. Installing a cheap headset is almost as bad as hanging Shimano on a Colnago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts