Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I am not really new to riding, but I am new to working on and building up bikes.
I wanted to see what the price difference is between a bike already assembled or buying the same parts and building the bike yourself. Is there any price difference?

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
straight up... parting up a bike, if you are trying to do it on a budget is a time consuming, painstaking thing to do.

You typically get a far better deal on buying bikes whole on the cheap, then unparting, reparting, selling off, etc. HandsomeRob makes a freaking hobby of it.

·
Banned
270 Posts
Take into consideration 99% of the people who buy a complete bike either uprade or replace after a year or two (atleast it seams that way) Build what you want top to bottom , you won't regret it.. There are amazing prices online for groups and wheels....

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Hidden costs, my friend. If you are new to building up bikes, you are going to run into many hidden costs if you do it yourself. The largest cost will of course be time. Not only your time building the bike, but also waiting for parts to come in, waiting to win eBay auctions, waiting to exchange mail-order parts that were not exactly what you wanted, etc. etc. And that time is time lost from actually riding the bike, time you'll never recover.

Not trying to discourage you, because I think in terms of actual dollars building a bike from scratch is cheaper, especially if you look for used parts. For example, if you look carefully you can find nice Campy Chorus stuff on eBay for the price of new Centaur. But it's about more than dollars. Nice to have choices, ain't it?

·
Banned
270 Posts
I built this a few months ago . It would have cost 4 to 5 hundred more if I didn't shop around . The frame from one dealer , wheels from another , cockpit & tires from yet a third.. Plus you will enjoy building it yourself.. worth the time effort and money savings .. GO 4 IT .... you won't regret it...

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
I have been pleasantly suprised at how much I've enjoyed wrenching since getting back into biking last year. Sounds like handsome Rob and I have a hobby in common. I just watch for great deals on bikes that have parts I want, and after stripping my goodies, I sell off the rest. I have a chorus equipped '06 S-Works Tarmac and an Ultegra TCR C2 that cost me several dozen fun hours, and zero dollars. If you're not into the buy/sell/build aspect, then yeh, buying the whole bike is usually cheapest.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
As nearly everybody else has said, it's almost always cheaper to buy a complete bike, especially if you don't enjoy wrenching. There are exceptions, though. A complete Atlantis from Rivendell was about $1600 when I got mine (I think they're close to $2400 now). I bought the frame and fork for $950 and built it up for another couple of hundred dollars--but I had a TON of stuff in the garage, including wheels, most of the driveline and a Brooks saddle. And in the four years since then, I've probably added another $300 or so in miscellanenous changes (not all were necessary).
The argument that you can get exactly what you want by building can be overstated, I think. We'd all like to have DuraAce, for instance, but a DA front derailleur costs about $85. The LX I bought for 20 bucks hasn't missed a shift in 12,000 miles.

·
Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
Buying pre-built is cheaper but...

If you're patient and search for deals you can build something you may not have considered buying outright.

I've been collecting parts since last November to build what for me is a dream bike (Orbea Orca). I found a perfect frame on eBay for far less than new. Admittedly by the time I finish my build it will still be expensive and I could have bought a complete bike for the same price or even less. But, buying it piece by piece kept the spending manageable and its fun watching it all come together. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PinarelloFan said:
I built this a few months ago . It would have cost 4 to 5 hundred more if I didn't shop around . The frame from one dealer , wheels from another , cockpit & tires from yet a third.. Plus you will enjoy building it yourself.. worth the time effort and money savings .. GO 4 IT .... you won't regret it...

Oh, I LOVE wrenching and the time and energy that needs to be spent would be more fun than like a cost for me. I was just curious....I have started to look for parts now and I think I will build something out. I am looking mostly at barely used or new at auction for parts
It may not end up being cheaper but I think it will be a great learning experience and it is a lot of fun to me =)

Thanks all for the thoughts!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.