Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally built my first wheels!

First off - the goods.

I want to thank Mike. T and all of you here for your advice on the parts selection and troubleshooting - this would have been a trainwreck without you guys!

Parts:
BHS Front Hub (SLF85), 24 spoke
Novatec F482SB rear hub, 28 spoke (from BDop Cycling)
Sapim Race spokes and brass nipples - 2x front, 3x rear (from BHS)
BHS C472w (Kinlin XC279) rims

Building the front wheel was a breeze - I used linseed oil on all the spokes, wiping off excess, and they threaded easily and trued up very nicely. The rear wheel is where I ran into problems - I laced it wrong, and proceeded to incorrectly re-lace it about 4 times until I realized how very Stooge-esque I was several post replies later.

From there, the rear wheel built up pretty well, although I broke a DS nipple in my attempts to ensure all the spoke threads disappeared. No matter though, I just filed the remaining portion down until I could grab it with the spoke wrench to take it off, and then popped on a spare.

The last problem I ran into was an easily fixable one. I wasn't quite sure how tight the tire clearances would be - I put them on a Ridley Fenix, which has the frame clearance for big tires. After installing the new GP4000S 700x25s I got for these rims, I found out that while the frame certainly cleared the big tires, the rear brake caliper would not. This worries me a little bit, because I plan to put some Conti Comp 25 tubulars on a pair of carbon wheels coming in the mail soon. No matter here though, I put an old 700x23 GP4000S on the rear and went for a test ride.

Wheels were fantastic - I ran 90/100 psi (170lb) and was actively trying to run over rough patches in the road. The road feel and the cornering too were noticeably better than the Ksyrium SRs they replaced - yet the most standout difference to me was the stiffness of the front wheel in comparison to the Ksyrium.

Here's to hoping they stay true! Thank you all again for your help, and happy building!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out, looks like a nice build. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.