Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... noticed a bumping feeling towards end of my ride today, examined the rear tyre (hutchinson equinox) and found a couple of deformities or 'bumps' on it ... wheel itself seems fine ... has my tire had it? ... just seems to have appeared out of nowhere, I didnt hit anything agressively etc ...cheers ... Wally

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Your casing is starting to fail. Your tube is beginning to push itself out through a weak spot in the casing, and soon the casing will open enough to allow the tube to expand enough and explode. You can temporarily "boot" the tire on the inside, by using some sort of re-inforcement at the weak spot, but a new tire [or a blowout] is in your future. You pick which one.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I agree. I wouldn't ride that. The threads are starting or have separated & under high pressures the tube is starting to poke its way through. It's unlikely the tube will extrude all the way through the tire, but it'll be caught in the threads and when the tire rotates the threads distort under pressure and pinch the tube. When that happens you'll hear a "gunshot."

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
wallycharlo said:
... noticed a bumping feeling towards end of my ride today, examined the rear tyre (hutchinson equinox) and found a couple of deformities or 'bumps' on it ... wheel itself seems fine ... has my tire had it? ... just seems to have appeared out of nowhere, I didnt hit anything agressively etc ...cheers ... Wally
The cut in the tire pictured above seems to run deep(er) - it may have caused the damage to the tyre casing too. I've previously met this and the workaround was to apply a patch to the tube. Then, put the tube on with the patch matching the fault in the tyre, though this way there will still be a small bump there..
A better fix I'd picture would be sewing the fault close, on the inside of the tyre. You should be careful that none of the sewing yarn comes out on the other side - or it will rub off on the pavement and disassemble in the end.
or
see above postsregarding new tire :)

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Usually a cut in the casing causes that, but it could be caused by the bead slipping off, or the casing coming apart (as already posted). Are you exceeding the max psi of the tire, or ride close to it?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Either replace the tire (and probably the tube at the same time)...

Or remove the tire from the rim, fold a dollar bill in half and put it inside the tire at the point of the bulge, reinstall the tire, inflate and ride away. The paper money is made with is tough and will act to strengthen the casing of the tire.... at least temporarily. Rich people might use a $5, $10 or even a $20 bill! Tyvek, the stuff they make those tough mailing envelopes from, also works pretty well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

I run the tyres at 110 psi, I had assumed this to be the recommended pressure, but it seems that I misread that, it's actually 100 recommended and 110 max.

Anyway, new tyre it is I think.

cheers.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'm sure all you responders must be correct, but you must be psychic to conclude that from that out-of-focus pic. I couldn't see anything.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
It looks to me like the photo was taken against something like a particle board garage wall. Again I'm just guessing There is no cut in the tire. What appears to be a cut is a joint between 2 pieces of particle board. The tire is badly out of focus in the foreground, but I can still see a bulge in it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
It looks to me like the photo was taken against something like a particle board garage wall. Again I'm just guessing. There is no cut in the tire. What appears to be a cut is a joint between 2 pieces of particle board. The tire is badly out of focus in the foreground, but I can still see a bulge in it.

Maybe the OP can confirm or straighten out the issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

... yeah, the photo quality is indeed not great ... there is no cut in the tyre, but several 'bulges' as the one shown ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts