Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys ever had the bottoms of your feet start burning badly (about where the cleat is) after about 50 or so miles? I have had this off and on now for a few years. Not sure but it may be more prone to happen on hilly rides. I have kept the same cleat position as before and it happens with both pair of my Sidi shoes (Genious 3? and Titan). I have switched Look pedals from the low $$ composite to the 396 aluminum and still have the problem. I like the Look pedals but am starting to think on another brand...not interested in $300 pedals just to throw money at the problem though. Any bright ideas out there? Thinking about trying the Performance Egg Beaters for $50 just to try that style out. Anyone know if they use the same mounting bolt pattern as SPD? Also thought of trying Speedplay. Not sure how or if the wider cleat contact with the shoe effects comfort while riding.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
It may be that your shoes just don't match you feet. I've got a pair of carbon Adidas shoes that do the same thing. They feel alright when you put them on, but start to hurt the bottoms of my feet after an hour or so. Some shoes with nylon soles can also transmit pressure from the cleat to your feet.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Cleat position?

Sports doctor Andy Pruitt and Cyclingnews' Steve Hogg both recommend moving cleats further back on the shoes to cure hot foot -- as far as 1 cm or more behind the ball of your foot, even all the way back. Where are your cleats positioned? Could be the shoes, too, of course, but I'd try the cleat thing before sinking more money into this.

Cheers,
Ari

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
30$ will cure most foot problems...

custom insoles. lovely, lovely inventions. worth the extra cash...
might help the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sidis are well known for their thin insoles. I didn't experience burning during a ride, but when I got home I felt like I had been standing on a concrete floor all day. I put the Specialized body Geometry insoles in my Genius 4s and haven't had problems since.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
hycobob said:
Any of you guys ever had the bottoms of your feet start burning badly (about where the cleat is) after about 50 or so miles? I have had this off and on now for a few years. Not sure but it may be more prone to happen on hilly rides. I have kept the same cleat position as before and it happens with both pair of my Sidi shoes (Genious 3? and Titan). I have switched Look pedals from the low $$ composite to the 396 aluminum and still have the problem. I like the Look pedals but am starting to think on another brand...not interested in $300 pedals just to throw money at the problem though. Any bright ideas out there? Thinking about trying the Performance Egg Beaters for $50 just to try that style out. Anyone know if they use the same mounting bolt pattern as SPD? Also thought of trying Speedplay. Not sure how or if the wider cleat contact with the shoe effects comfort while riding.
Yep - eggies are SPD-mounts. Not likely to help with a hotfoot - I don't tend to blame platform size, bit if that's part of your problem, eggs are the wrong direction.

Positioning has been mentioned, and it's one of the quickest attempts to fix. Many folks think of the "ball" of the foot as being that big joint behind the big toe, but it's not. It's the sum of that joint for all five toes - and so, back a fair distance from the assumed spot.

Hotfoot comes from having the toes doing too much work - they should be completely relaxed while pedaling. Flexy soles work the toes, as do cleats positioned too far forward. There's also a problem with shoe fit, if the bend in the sole is too far forward for a proper fit - a common problem for folks with wider-than-Italian feet, because they get shoes too long to try to get the width.

For an interesting graphic on cleat placement, stop by http://www.coombe.com/coombe.html . Cool looking pedals, too - I'd love to give them a try sometime.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hycobob said:
You may also have a problem with Morton's neuroma. Here's a link to an description of it:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mortons-neuroma/DS00468.

It causes the problem you describe. To remedy this problem get a pair of custom shoe beds with a good .Metatarsal Arch Support. Be sure your shoes are not too narrow. Remember, your feet will swell a little as you ride -- be sure to keep them loose across the front of your foot.

·
century rider
108 Posts
sidi soles are flexy...

I went back to using my carbon soled exustar shoes after using my G5s for about 1000kms. I noticed that I tend to curl my toes on long climbs to compensate for what I feel are flexy soles of the G5s. this doesnt happen to both my carbon exustar and shimano r150 shoes. power transfer on carbon shoes then to be spread out unlike sidis where it seems to be concentrated on the cleat area....my honest observations!(=

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
SAME PROBLEM-- i had carnac and switched to sidi because the LBS said it was the curved last of carnac, and then switched to specialized pro carbon for the reason of sole flexion--needed carbon soles. I found that the stiffness was the answer.
i also used ebay for this experimenting as it stinks to buy different shoes and pedals at retail to discover they don't work.
good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts