Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
bjm said:
This event played out about a month ago in Portland, OR. The story is that dude riding his bike over one of Portland's many bridges gets buzzed (he claims) by the bus. He was not on the designated bike path on the bridge because, he claims, it contained dangerous amounts of gravel. He catches said bus and stands in front. Bus driver lets aggrieved passenger off bus to assault cyclist. Passenger then gets back on bus and bus continues on route. Cyclists sues transit authority.

Lots of blame to go around. Lots of hashing and rehashing in Portland blogs and forums. Coverage in the news.

·
Registered
173 Posts
From what I have gathered here I hope he loses. Gravel or not, if there is a bike land and he's not in it, what does he realistically expect? Like the jackasses who jog in the bike lane around here and get pissed if I don't go out of my way to avoid them. Run on the sidewalk. If I were on the bus I'd want to beat his ass too for standing in front of it.

·
Registered
21,511 Posts
Oh yeah!

studiddy said:
From what I have gathered here I hope he loses. Gravel or not, if there is a bike land and he's not in it, what does he realistically expect? Like the jackasses who jog in the bike lane around here and get pissed if I don't go out of my way to avoid them. Run on the sidewalk. If I were on the bus I'd want to beat his ass too for standing in front of it.
That vigilante justice - it's the best! And you bet, city bus drivers should not only buzz cyclists, they should encourage their passengers to beat up anyone who gets in their way. Or, they could just save time and run over the bike riders. This is the way things should work, in your bizzarro world. :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
That vigilante justice - it's the best! And you bet, city bus drivers should not only buzz cyclists, they should encourage their passengers to beat up anyone who gets in their way. Or, they could just save time and run over the bike riders. This is the way things should work, in your bizzarro world. :)
ROLF! Good one, Kerry. :D

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Ohh jeeeez.

studiddy said:
Gravel or not, if there is a bike land and he's not in it, what does he realistically expect?
And therein lies the argument against having bike lanes. Are you sure you shouldn't be at forums.carsrule.com?

Btw, as far as I know, streets are softer than sidewalks, which is why joggers prefer them. I agree they can be a nuisance, but at least there's a reason why ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
running on asphalt v. concrete

the notion of someone running on asphalt (the street) because it is "softer" than concrete (the sidewalk) is specious.

the asphalt would indeed be "softer" if the runner weighed a couple of tons; but even a 250 pound runner won't make a dent (literally) in the asphalt.

DrRoebuck said:
And therein lies the argument against having bike lanes. Are you sure you shouldn't be at forums.carsrule.com?

Btw, as far as I know, streets are softer than sidewalks, which is why joggers prefer them. I agree they can be a nuisance, but at least there's a reason why ...

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
stuart said:
the notion of someone running on asphalt (the street) because it is "softer" than concrete (the sidewalk) is specious.

the asphalt would indeed be "softer" if the runner weighed a couple of tons; but even a 250 pound runner won't make a dent (literally) in the asphalt.
I don't think you have to make a "dent" in order for your body to appreciate a difference. I don't know this for a fact, but it's something I've read here and there.

·
Registered
21,511 Posts
Specious?

stuart said:
the notion of someone running on asphalt (the street) because it is "softer" than concrete (the sidewalk) is specious. the asphalt would indeed be "softer" if the runner weighed a couple of tons; but even a 250 pound runner won't make a dent (literally) in the asphalt.
How about some simple experiments? Put down the kickstand on that Huffy on asphalt and see how soon it leaves a dent. There is NO QUESTION than asphalt is more forgiving under a foot strike than concrete. No advanced scientific understanding to see/feel this.

·
It's in the game!
2,042 Posts
Lack of maintenance

for the bike laneshould be grounds for another suit. Our local bike lanes aren't maintained of debris and are unsafe to ride on. In one 2 mile section I ruined 2 tubes and cut a brand new Conti Gatorskin, so I had to walk home.

·
Registered
32 Posts
where is the asphalt?

The asphalt in your driveway is likely to be "soft" and "dentable" with a kickstand. The asphalt on the street in a McNeighborhood is likely to be soft and dentable. (Asphalt that was poured as quickly and cheaply as possible)

The asphalt on a major approach to a major city (Portland OR in this case) carries big busses full of people (see the video) and 18 wheelers full of goods. These vehicles weigh dozens of tons.

If that asphalt is "soft" and "dentable", then the local taxpayers are keeping the road crews busy 24/7!

A simple test would be to go out to a real asphalt roadway that carries truck and bus traffic. Try to "dent" it with your kickstand and take a picture of the results for us to see.

Kerry Irons said:
How about some simple experiments? Put down the kickstand on that Huffy on asphalt and see how soon it leaves a dent. There is NO QUESTION than asphalt is more forgiving under a foot strike than concrete. No advanced scientific understanding to see/feel this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
where is the asphalt?

The asphalt in your driveway is likely to be "soft" and "dentable" with a kickstand. The asphalt on the street in a McNeighborhood is likely to be soft and dentable. (Asphalt that was poured as quickly and cheaply as possible)

The asphalt on a major approach to a major city (Portland OR in this case) carries big busses full of people (see the video) and 18 wheelers full of goods. These vehicles weigh dozens of tons.

If that asphalt is "soft" and "dentable", then the local taxpayers are keeping the road crews busy 24/7!

A simple test would be to go out to a real asphalt roadway that carries truck and bus traffic. Try to "dent" it with your kickstand and take a picture of the results for us to see.

Kerry Irons said:

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Learn to run properly and the surface on which you run will matter very little. I have, quite literally, run barefoot on concrete with no ill effects.

Steve Freides, NSCA-CPT, RKC"

"Recent clinical studies, however, have looked at the kinematic
adjustments runners make. That is, how “runners adjust the stiffness
of their stance leg to accommodate surface stiffness during steady
state running.”

“Runners Adjust Leg Stiffnesss For Their First Step on a New Running
Surface,” by D.P. Ferris, K. Liang and C.T. Farley. Journal of
Biomechanics, vol. 32, issue 8, pp. 787-794, August 1999.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10433420&dopt=Abstract

What this suggests is that as runners adapt to whatever surface they
are running and lessening the ill effects that might otherwise be
expected from running on a harder surface, which would go to support
your hypothesis that there is no real difference."

Kerry Irons said:

·
Registered
594 Posts
stuart said:

Before I blew out my knee and thereby removed 2/3s of my miniscus, I would have agreed with you. Now that I have much less cushioning in my knee, I can state without a doubt that the asphault is softer than concrete and it can be a very noticable difference.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
studiddy said:
Brilliant... not. An adjacent bike lane whether safe to use or not does automatically require the cyclist use it legally speaking. Nor does it's mean a motorist has the right to not pass safely or for a knucklehead like you to commit assault and battery. Why someone such as you would ever look at much less participate in cycling forum is baffling. Have a nice ride... and watch your back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
barefoot on any surface...

..and loving it!

http://tinyurl.com/d9w8v

apparently it is all about the stride. (sorry to hear about your knee)

bsaunder said:
Before I blew out my knee and thereby removed 2/3s of my miniscus, I would have agreed with you. Now that I have much less cushioning in my knee, I can state without a doubt that the asphault is softer than concrete and it can be a very noticable difference.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts