Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
The part of the story that we can verify is that, for some reason a truck was in the bike lane. I didn't see the citation? Did I miss that?

Once we establish that the citation happened we can speculate on the validity of the balance of the story. The reason for my skepticism is that I see some familiar signs of fabrication.

Video: Freedom-Loving Truck Driver Commandeers Williamsburg Bike Lane: Gothamist

The cyclist who took the video was ticketed for not having a bell on his bike. Meanwhile, trucks are allowed to go the wrong way down a street in a dedicated, extremely well-marked bike lane. :skep:

It's not really news I guess. :crazy:

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fabrication? I didn't examine the video; the story doesn't sound far-fetched. The cyclist didn't get the ticket during this ride, but at a different time.

He was making a point about how cyclists are getting ticketed for stuff like missing bells, and this trucker can blatantly risk lives w/o getting pulled over.

This bike lane is part of my commute. Cops are everywhere; my latest ticket wasn't far from this spot.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I don't read that blog (except apparently when it gets re-posted here). Do they ever write about anything else besides drivers offending cyclists ?

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I must of missed that part that shows the lives of cyclists being "blatantly" risked?

Sometimes trucks need to unload items that require getting close to the curb in unusual situations. Usually, when cops understand that the circumstances require an exception to normal rules, they will allow the activity as long a judgement is exercised.

The video did not provide anything with which I believe rational people could form an opinion.

The practice of repeating this kind of alleged obscenities verbatim instead of simply stating that the offender used a lot of obscenities is, in my experience, the work of whackos seeking attention.
Fabrication? I didn't examine the video; the story doesn't sound far-fetched. The cyclist didn't get the ticket during this ride, but at a different time.

He was making a point about how cyclists are getting ticketed for stuff like missing bells, and this trucker can blatantly risk lives w/o getting pulled over.

This bike lane is part of my commute. Cops are everywhere; my latest ticket wasn't far from this spot.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Sometimes trucks need to unload items that require getting close to the curb in unusual situations. Usually, when cops understand that the circumstances require an exception to normal rules, they will allow the activity as long a judgement is exercised.
Do you honestly think that description is remotely applicable to a truck driving the wrong way down a one-way street in a marked bike lane? Really?

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
If the driver had entered the street and parked in the bike lane headed in the right direction, you would have a point about the need to unload in an otherwise illegal spot. This driver has no respect for traffic laws and should have been ticketed - for driving the wrong way on the street.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Perfect thread title, business as usual. Brooklyn. You NYC riders are the bomb. Daredevil commuting. Haha.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Trailers that haul small but heavy items have a side door on the right side (the curb side on a two way). When the delivery has to be made on the left side of the street they are reduced to either loading and unloading out the back which requires dealing with getting the item over the curb. You'll never see one with a side door on the drivers side.
If the driver had entered the street and parked in the bike lane headed in the right direction, you would have a point about the need to unload in an otherwise illegal spot. This driver has no respect for traffic laws and should have been ticketed - for driving the wrong way on the street.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Swifty,

This isn't one of those bad cop caught on video videos.

This is simply a short clip of a semi driving the wrong way down a one-way street in a designated bike lane.

There's really no other conclusion based on what is plainly obvious in the video.

There was no citation, no police involved, just a cyclist with a recorder catching the truck doing what you see. It's completely illegal what the truck is doing, yet is also very common in NYC. Go Google for some video of taxis and others driving in separated on-street bike lanes in Manhatten, they were video'd as well, as they attempt to get around bottleneck end traffic.

As with the thread on Cyclist Slashes Tires, you seem to have comprehension issues with how life is different and yet proceeds in places other then your own seemingly very narrow world.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I'm pointing out what should be obvious. We now have large segments of two generations of folks with no deductive reasoning capability who want to read their particular agenda into short clips of video. I have no idea if this driver was delivering construction equipment nor if he had legal approval to do so. My point is that neither does anyone else from watching this video.
Swifty,

This isn't one of those bad cop caught on video videos.

This is simply a short clip of a semi driving the wrong way down a one-way street in a designated bike lane.

There's really no other conclusion based on what is plainly obvious in the video.

There was no citation, no police involved, just a cyclist with a recorder catching the truck doing what you see. It's completely illegal what the truck is doing, yet is also very common in NYC. Go Google for some video of taxis and others driving in separated on-street bike lanes in Manhatten, they were video'd as well, as they attempt to get around bottleneck end traffic.

As with the thread on Cyclist Slashes Tires, you seem to have comprehension issues with how life is different and yet proceeds in places other then your own seemingly very narrow world.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no idea if this driver was delivering construction equipment nor if he had legal approval to do so. My point is that neither does anyone else from watching this video.

Do you think a cyclist gets cut the same slack? Hardly. The driver of a multi-ton vehicle has a bigger responsibility than a person on a 35lb frame going a fraction of the speed.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm pointing out what should be obvious. We now have large segments of two generations of folks with no deductive reasoning capability who want to read their particular agenda into short clips of video. I have no idea if this driver was delivering construction equipment nor if he had legal approval to do so. My point is that neither does anyone else from watching this video.
Then you are dense. Light must bend around you.

Do you really think a semi is going to get legal permission to drive the wrong way down a one-way street in a bike only lane, to make a delivery ?.

Oi vey scmear !, as they say locally.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Having been in the construction business (a large part of the time as a construction manager) there is no doubt that such permission is granted when circumstance make alternatives cost prohibitive. We have done so many times--always after gaining permission through proper channels.

I take it you are a desk jockey with no outdoor work experience?
Then you are dense. Light must bend around you.

Do you really think a semi is going to get legal permission to drive the wrong way down a one-way street in a bike only lane, to make a delivery ?.

Oi vey scmear !, as they say locally.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Video: Freedom-Loving Truck Driver Commandeers Williamsburg Bike Lane: Gothamist

The cyclist who took the video was ticketed for not having a bell on his bike. Meanwhile, trucks are allowed to go the wrong way down a street in a dedicated, extremely well-marked bike lane. :skep:

It's not really news I guess. :crazy:
I find that traffic tickets are less about safety and more about opportunities to fleece the non connected population, ****** mordida.. Anyone who assumes that life is fairs is sadly out of touch.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I think, if the cyclist was delivering something of significant value to expedite the disruptive construction process and there was no feasible alternative, then yes.

Generally trucks have fewer delivery route possibilities than bikes.

Incidentally, my old employees would laugh their asses off if they saw me defending truck drivers. Someone was always charged with watching and directing these guys because they do have a tendency to believe that delivering their goods is more important than avoiding doing damage on the site.
I have no idea if this driver was delivering construction equipment nor if he had legal approval to do so. My point is that neither does anyone else from watching this video.

Do you think a cyclist gets cut the same slack? Hardly. The driver of a multi-ton vehicle has a bigger responsibility than a person on a 35lb frame going a fraction of the speed.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Generally trucks have fewer delivery route possibilities than bikes.

All he had to do was go around the block. He might go a few blocks out of his way, total.

If it's soooo much easier for cyclists, it's funny how so few drivers even consider the option of using a bike.

In any case, a construction site can make things easier for trucks and safer for cyclists. Further up that same path, there's a huge project (Domino sugar factory site) and plenty of workers with signs keeping an eye on the bike/ped paths.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts