Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...on my Rol Race SL's while climbing out of the saddle today. It broke right at the nipple. The wheel stayed true enough to ride home (about 8 miles) to get a spare (a few spokes came with the wheels) and then to the LBS to get it installed. The shop didn't have black nipples so now I have one silver nipple on the rear wheel.

Should I be concerned that this might keep happening? I have only about 600 miles on the wheels. I'm way under the supposed max. weight limit. What gives?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would not worry too much about one right away. However if you continue to break spokes (1 or 2 more) on that wheel I would replace or rebuild. Have you crashed on that wheel set or hit any major pot holes?

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chilif185 said:
I would not worry too much about one right away. However if you continue to break spokes (1 or 2 more) on that wheel I would replace or rebuild. Have you crashed on that wheel set or hit any major pot holes?
No, no major potholes and definitely no crashes. The wheels are supposed to be super durable according to the reviews.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, now I'm concerned. I busted another spoke today the same way (climbing pretty hard). It's the same length as the one that broke last weekend so I don't have a spare now (only got one of each with the wheels) plus all the shops are closed tomorrow. So for now I'm stuck riding on a Shimano RS10 rear wheel.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
ph0enix said:
Ok, now I'm concerned. I busted another spoke today the same way (climbing pretty hard). It's the same length as the one that broke last weekend so I don't have a spare now (only got one of each with the wheels) plus all the shops are closed tomorrow. So for now I'm stuck riding on a Shimano RS10 rear wheel.
Re-read my last post. Make plans.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just spoke with Sean Lambert at RoL and he's sending another set of wheels and a return label for the original ones. He couldn't understand how the spokes just broke. Hopefully inspecting the wheel will give him some clues.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll report back once I put some miles on the new set.

J.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Can't beat that for service..... a live body on the other end of the line dealing with your problem over the phone and sending you a new set of wheels with a return postage label. A lot of companies would have required you to return the goods and, maybe, they send you a new set instead of just replacing a broken spoke and returning the old ones to you. Wheels with 600 miles on them shouldn't be breaking spokes on a regular basis. Hope the new set works better for you.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cdhbrad said:
a live body on the other end of the line dealing with your problem over the phone and sending you a new set of wheels with a return postage label.
...and the owner/founder of the company at that.

cdhbrad said:
Wheels with 600 miles on them shouldn't be breaking spokes on a regular basis. Hope the new set works better for you.
Me too because I really like riding on those wheels. I went for a 50-mile ride on the RS10 yesterday morning. It was not fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.