Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of this happening, but it never happened to me before. A saddle rail broke on my commute this morning.
Mode of transport Automotive tire Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim
This is on my fixed-gear conversion commuter, and the saddle is not new at all. I used it on my road bike for a few years before transferring it to this bike some years ago, so it's got some miles. It's a Selle Italia SLR gel flow, and it's been my favorite saddle shape (I have another on the road bike).

My replacement dilemma is that this saddle is probably 10-15 years old, and the ones they sell under the SLR name now don't appear to be the same shape. From the pics online the C2 Gel Flow seems to be similar in shape to this one. httphttp://www.selleitalia.com/en/prodotti/road/pagina_c2/:// Anyone have any experience with that one? Or with another with a very similar shape? Come to think of it, I should post some pics of the saddle, since you won't otherwise know what shape I'm looking for. I'll try to do that later.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Please don't waste your time telling me about the saddle you like, unless it really is similar in shape to this one. Saddle preferences are very individual. I'm always amused at the threads where someone asks "what's a good saddle?", and lots of people answer, "I love X" and "I love Y." It's interesting sometimes to hear thoughtful evaluations, but it's almost completely useless as advice.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Is the rail replaceable? Some Italian saddles have replaceable rails. SMP for example.

Worth investigating.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the rail replaceable? Some Italian saddles have replaceable rails. SMP for example.

Worth investigating.
I doubt it, especially considering how old it is, but I'll take a good look at that possibility. Thanks.

I'll dig further on ebay, too. I don't think I can do that white one ;-) I'm not that fussy about aesthetic choices on the bike, but I had a white Flite once years ago, and it looked like crap after a very short time.

thanks, all.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts

Worth investigating.
I hate to throw anything out. I'd try making a sleeve that slides over the rail and epoxies in place.
Worth the time? Maybe not.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Problem with replacing the rail on a 15 year old saddle is that you can't replace the padding, while it may be gel it does compact and get hard over time. Your saddle looks to be in really good shape for as old as it is except for the broken rail, I would find out if your rails are replaceable.

Bike seat design change all the time, what you liked over the past 15 years you may not like as a new version of that saddle, but Selle makes a high quality product so if you decide to go new I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I doubt it, especially considering how old it is, but I'll take a good look at that possibility. Thanks.
If the rail is replaceable there will likely be two screws on the underside at the rear where the rails slide into place. No screws means not replaceable...at least in the case of the SMP saddles I've owned...and I realize using SMP as an example is not apples-to-apples to Selle Italia.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate to throw anything out. I'd try making a sleeve that slides over the rail and epoxies in place.
Worth the time? Maybe not.
I'm a fix-it kind of guy, too, but in this case I don't see how that could work. It's not the time, it's how you could do a fix like that and be able to clamp it securely, and secondly whether it would really be safe. Anyway, I will look at the possibility of rail replacement, since the shell, padding and cover of the saddle are in remarkably good shape. Selle Italia does make a good product. I wish they wouldn't change designs so often, or rather, I wish they didn't keep an old name on a product that's significantly altered. But I'm sure I'll find something that works for me.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I'm a fix-it kind of guy, too, but in this case I don't see how that could work.
I'm imagining about a 1" long sleeve slipped onto the back part of the broken rail. Then some epoxy and slide the sleeve forward over the break and up against the seatpost clamp.

Again, likely not worth the trouble but I'm a sucker for trying things like that.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
The saddle sure is pushed way back on that clamp.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I had a saddle rail crack on me; it was hollow titanium, and I only weigh 130lbs. Just a data point. P.S. I was told that running the saddle rails at either extreme end can lead to broken rails due to leverage issues. I was told to keep the rails within the markings on the rails. If you don't have a scale on the rails, oh well...

Definitely go the eBay route. I purchased the saddles on all 3 of my bikes from eBay for minimum 50% off retail. Sure, some may have been used, but they didn't look it. Be patient and you'll likely find a duplicate of your existing saddle.

And if you're satisfied with the saddle but not the color, don't despair. I had more than one good experience with Recovered Saddles. Jason swapped out a worn cover on a beloved saddle and changed the color for me at the same time. Good as new and the price was extremely reasonable.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The saddle sure is pushed way back on that clamp.
Yeah that's most likely the reason it busted. The same happened to me about a year ago and now I try to keep my saddle in the middle. No problems at all so far and it actually feels more steady.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
My replacement dilemma is that this saddle is probably 10-15 years old, and the ones they sell under the SLR name now don't appear to be the same shape. From the pics online the C2 Gel Flow seems to be similar in shape to this one. Selle Italia :: C2 « Selle Italia Anyone have any experience with that one? Or with another with a very similar shape? Come to think of it, I should post some pics of the saddle, since you won't otherwise know what shape I'm looking for. I'll try to do that later.
I bought my wife the woman's version of that saddle. It got rave reviews, so I risked $120 or whatever it was, and she despises it. If you want to try it, I can send it to you, but I imagine it wont' be a particularly useful data point since it is the woman's version.

However, this might be how Allah is suggesting you buy a Brooks.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If the rails were indeed being levered, I would expect the break to be towards the front in this instance.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought my wife the woman's version of that saddle. It got rave reviews, so I risked $120 or whatever it was, and she despises it. If you want to try it, I can send it to you, but I imagine it wont' be a particularly useful data point since it is the woman's version.

However, this might be how Allah is suggesting you buy a Brooks.
Women's version of which one? Never mind, doesn't matter. I'm going to give this one a try; I think it's a discontinued model, but it looks pretty similar in shape to the one I'm replacing. At this price, I'm not risking too much to give it a shot.Selle Italia SL Kit Carbonio Flow SE Saddle
If The Universe or whoever was suggesting that, I ain't listening. Brookses are a thing of the distant past for me.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
If the rails were indeed being levered, I would expect the break to be towards the front in this instance.
Really? I would have expected the rail to break about where it happened - that's where most of the flex in the rail is going to happen and the metal will fatigue.

Yeah that's most likely the reason it busted. The same happened to me about a year ago and now I try to keep my saddle in the middle. No problems at all so far and it actually feels more steady.
Yep, that's my point. They put limit marks on rails for a reason, doesn't look like they were followed in this case if they were present.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Women's version of which one? .
The one pictured in the mangled link. I think you are better off with the one from Nashbar. Best of luck. Nashbar will probably allow a return if it isn't obviously worn or damaged.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts