Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered that the shell of my Toupe has broken all the way through at the thinnest part. This seat does have 11,000 miles, but I wouldn't consider this something to happen as normal wear and tear, and I only weigh 140 lbs. Has this happened to anyone else? As I understand, Specialized equipment has a limited lifetime warranty. Should I even bother with a warranty claim on this? Just curious what you'd do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm heavier than you (190) and I find that a Toupe saddle loses it's shape and support for me in about 12 months or 5-6000 miles. Most of my ride buddies who are from 160-190 pounds find the same thing. We tend to replace them as a consumable. So I reckon 11,000 miles is good value ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd give the warranty a shot, especially if you've only had it a year or so. The worst they can do is say no. Under normal use and barring trauma, I would put cracked saddle shells in the realm of design flaw as opposed to normal wear and tear JMO.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
kooratz said:
I'm heavier than you (190) and I find that a Toupe saddle loses it's shape and support for me in about 12 months or 5-6000 miles. Most of my ride buddies who are from 160-190 pounds find the same thing. We tend to replace them as a consumable. So I reckon 11,000 miles is good value ! :thumbsup:
One year from a top-end saddle? Ouch! I got a Toupe on my Tarmac last fall & have around 1000mi on it. Love the saddle, but not sure I care to shell out $150+ annually on a new seat. My SLR Gel-Flow is almost as comfy & still looks great in it's 3rd season. Don't want to invent trouble, but if my Toupe dies after just 1 year I doubt I'll buy another.

To the OP- I would expect warranty consideration on that seat (assuming no crash or impact damage which might crack the shell).

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,354 Posts
Oldteen said:
One year from a top-end saddle? Ouch! I got a Toupe on my Tarmac last fall & have around 1000mi on it. Love the saddle, but not sure I care to shell out $150+ annually on a new seat. My SLR Gel-Flow is almost as comfy & still looks great in it's 3rd season. Don't want to invent trouble, but if my Toupe dies after just 1 year I doubt I'll buy another.

To the OP- I would expect warranty consideration on that seat (assuming no crash or impact damage which might crack the shell).
Indeed-I've been riding the same Arione for 1, 2, 3....4 years now IIRC.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I agree with most of what you've all said. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't thinking wrong in that a busted shell isn't normal wear and tear. The saddle is a little over two years old, but as Oldteen points out, this is their 'top-of-the-line' saddle, so I would anticipate a little better warranty.

And I agree about the SLR. When I was buying a saddle for my third new bike, I of course wanted a Toupe since I have them on my two other bikes. Went to the LBS and picked one up, only to find it had the 'squeaky-rail-in-the-shell-mount' affliction, so I took it back immediately. I didn't even mount it on the bike. Couldn't find another one locally, so I bought an SLR flow. Definitely a higher quality saddle for just a little more money than the toupe. I'd buy another one, but: a) I'd have to buy another seatpost, since the SLR Flow's carbon rails will not work in the Specialized Pave-type, single bolt seatpost. I really need a Flow-type seat, and the only SLR with the cutout is the one with the carbon rails; b) becoming recently unemployed, really hard to swallow a $300-400 bike 'fix.' :) I'll head to a local Specialized dealer today and see what they say.

BTW, here's the break. I have no idea how long it's been there, but probably a long time. The cover is pretty tight and strong and keeps the two pieces together. You can see the white foam on the other side:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had the toupe on 3 of my bikes and one of them bent in a crash so I swapped it out for a new one and then that one cracked like yours after owning it for a few months. My lbs swapped it free of charge and after 7 months it happened again. I have to say they are the best saddles for me but cannot afford to replace saddles more often than tires. I now just purchased a selle italia (135g) saddle which is too early to give feedback on but does feel stronger. Toupe saddles are known for breaking and losing their shape. Good luck with the new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.