Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Glad I have pistachios from other sources here! I love em too.

And almonds. Those 2 are freakin awesome nuts (I don't care if they are not technically nuts even. I love em!!)

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Ya, well I love me some spinach but the doc says no......

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
MB1 said:
Ya, well I love me some spinach but the doc says no......
You know the times where you don't follow the rule of thirds? Well......

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Christine said:
You ate a bag w/o getting killed? You're immune now. Go nuts.....so to speak!
My wife, friends and family already say I'm nuts. :p Everyone else just thinks I'm an AzzH...

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Lowngers, answer me this...
Did these kind of Salmonella infections happen in decades past, and we just weren't aware/told? You know, the good ol' way of "HTFU, people".
or
Is this more likely to do with recent changes in farming/shipping/processing practices, I.E., shortcuts?

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tig said:
Did these kind of Salmonella infections happen in decades past, and we just weren't aware/told? You know, the good ol' way of "HTFU, people".
or
Is this more likely to do with recent changes in farming/shipping/processing practices, I.E., shortcuts?
I believe in the distant past, people just got sick. Then they either got well or died. Nobody really knew what caused the illnesses. They blamed witches, demons or tomatoes.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I blame global warming. Back in the Ice Age days, we didn't have there sort of problems.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Tig said:
or
Well, in general you can blame sanitary practices, and the fact that there are these huge distributors who ship nationwide makes a big recall a lot more likely. And distributors are a lot less likely to feel responsible to the final customer than a smaller operation that's closer to their retail market, so they cut corners.

But I also figure a lot more people died of, or were sick from, Salmonella back in the day anyway. Hard to make a case for a particular outbreak when general sanitation was less effective, so cases were more common from non-commercial sources.

And of course people were a lot less likely to sue somebody over getting sick, so there was less pressure to recall.

Overall, though, I think it's the giant commercial enterprises cutting corners and then when they do have to recall, it's news because it's nationwide. But it's all just speculation on my part.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Glad I only eat Turkish pistachios!

·
(not a real racer)
482 Posts
Hmmm, since Bush isn't in office anymore can't really blame him....

Ah! I blame the economy!! :D

Pffttt... They can't all be tainted, right?

*opens bag of pistachios

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
You both have good points (not c0d3).

I'm guess this kind of thing has always been happening all along, but at smaller levels. Thanks to rapid/rabid news media, we get the red flag information quickly.

Giant agribusiness makes for wider spread infections, and perhaps lower levels of personal pride that produces higher quality of product and service, versus higher profit margins.
I better make a disclaimer in case the pistachio cartel thugs come looking for me: But it's all just speculation on my part. :cool:

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
robbyracer said:
Hmmm, since Bush isn't in office anymore can't really blame him....
Bush? Heck, I'm still blaming Washington for being a president instead of our king! I'll start working my way up the list of presidents in a few years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts