Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the diff between beef labeled 'stew meat' and 'chili meat'...

the chili meat is chopped in smaller pieces than the stew meat, but is it different part of the beast?

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
could be. is it labeled "chuck" or round or anything?

most likely it is just bits and pieces chopped up. stew is larger chucnks, chili smaller.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Oxtox said:

the chili meat is chopped in smaller pieces than the stew meat, but is it different part of the beast?
Probably no significant difference. Stew meat is going to be from a tougher part of the animal with more connective tissue (shoulder, etc). Chili meat might be that too, but it might not be. Cut smaller it will take less time to cook down in any case. If I had to guess--and I'm really just guessing, since as far as I know there's no such thing as chili meat--I'd think that maybe the chili meat is smaller pieces off a different cut of meat, and is a little more "ready to eat."

But if I were buying, I'd assume it's all stew meat and only differs in the size of the pieces.

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
The chili meat was butchered on a full moon.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
My buddy the grocery store manager says it varies a lot from place to place. Either one could be chuck, round, whatever. Often it's the trimmings from steaks and roasts--nothing yucky, just the pieces that are left over when they neaten them up for sale. At least in his store (branch of an upscale regional chain), there's no consistency--you can't count on one of them always being round or always being chuck.
FWIW, you can buy a rump roast, chuck roast or some other sizable piece o' cow and cut or grind it to suit your needs. Even with the substantial amount of fat you'll trim off a chuck roast, you'll come out ahead.
I grind my own hamburger, too. We haven't bought ground meat in years. You know what's in it, you know how it's been handled and you save money, too.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Cory said:
My buddy the grocery store manager says it varies a lot from place to place. Either one could be chuck, round, whatever. Often it's the trimmings from steaks and roasts--nothing yucky, just the pieces that are left over when they neaten them up for sale. At least in his store (branch of an upscale regional chain), there's no consistency--you can't count on one of them always being round or always being chuck.
FWIW, you can buy a rump roast, chuck roast or some other sizable piece o' cow and cut or grind it to suit your needs. Even with the substantial amount of fat you'll trim off a chuck roast, you'll come out ahead.
I grind my own hamburger, too. We haven't bought ground meat in years. You know what's in it, you know how it's been handled and you save money, too.
Breaking down your own primals (or semi-primals) is the business. Now that I'm unemployed, maybe I'll do it more often.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Cory said:
Hamburger is kind of boring, but I love grinding my own pork sausage.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Oxtox said:

The difference is that you are probably in Texas or Oklahoma, and those misguided folks use that smaller-than-stew cut to make chili. You'll also find that they think a BBQ sandwich is made of beef brisket and that the world is only four thousand years old.

There should be no difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts