Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
I always swore I didn't need the stuff that is until I started putting some serious miles in on the road, it does make quite a difference but is kind of strange feeling until you get used to it. I use the Assos Chamois Butter after having it recommended by my LBS and I have heard others on here recommend it as well.

·
Registered
392 Posts
yes. use it. especially if your chamois sucks. W/ the Assos, its really cold... I would reccomend getting the Excel Sports brand, haven't used it, but its almost half the price of Assos w/ like twice as much so...
PHP:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Relief+Chamois+Softening+Cream+200ML+Jar&vendorCode=EXCEL&major=3&minor=10

Also-
Something I just realized is that you only really need it on the tapered end of the chamois where your package is. and on the edges where there's movement w/ your legs.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i tried it and couldn't get used to it. untill i start having problems "down there" i probably wont try it again. i ride somehwere around 175 miles a week, soon to increase as i will take a month and change off racing so i ll have 3 extra days to ride real distance (currently i have an easy pre-race day, race, and recovery day, all of which are shorter than most of my rides) if you are having problems id say go for it, i personally tried it not having any issues, and that prbly wasnt a great idea.

·
Obviously not doping
155 Posts
I tried using Land O' Lakes Butter, but it made my stuff smell like old sweaty toast and my wife got mad at me for taking all her butter. Crisco seems to have the same effect, but it is easier to spread. Not sure what all the hype is about.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
timmyc said:
I tried using Land O' Lakes Butter, but it made my stuff smell like old sweaty toast and my wife got mad at me for taking all her butter. Crisco seems to have the same effect, but it is easier to spread. Not sure what all the hype is about.
Tell me, how do you deal with the consequent acne?

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Argentius said:
yeah -- chafing is no good after 4 hours otherwise.

I don't bother for 1-2 hour rides.

Same here, 1-2 hour short training rides, I don't use it, but the longer weekend group rides of 3-5 hours, I use it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not really getting chafed but am getting sore like things in the area between your 2 most private areas. Its not like a zit but like a layer of skin being scratched off. Could it be from the rubbing of the pad and hair against the skin? Would butter take care of this? I get it after riding for 2 hours.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
n1civicsi said:
not really getting chafed but am getting sore like things in the area between your 2 most private areas. Its not like a zit but like a layer of skin being scratched off. Could it be from the rubbing of the pad and hair against the skin? Would butter take care of this? I get it after riding for 2 hours.
I would lube the chamois, and do so very generously. It will feel slickish, but don't worry. Rub it in so that you can't see the cream that well anymore. It's a personal preference of how much to put in, i would usually stick my finger into the container, whip it around once, pull it back out, chamois cream on me up to the first joint in your finger. Spread that over the middle of your chamois where your perineal area would be when riding.
That should help.
-estone2

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Priorities

WingNut said:
You ride 350 miles a week and still have enough time to post >5,000 times on this site... I want your job/wife/family...
I did this when I was working 50 hours per week. My wife rides 270+ per week. When my kids were little, we towed them in the trailer and later rode tandems with them, averaging more like 200 miles per week. It's a matter of living close to work and setting priorities on how to use your time. Television viewing time per week is WAY below the national average.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.